Borders to.open Nov 14

HappyHeart

14 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

What do we think?? Good or bad?

I think on balance it’s probably the right decision. The health argument was weakening in light of other states having no transmission with selective borders and low numbers in Vic and nsw.

Politically it is probably wise too, as headlines of families being seperated for Christmas (with less health justification for it) wouldn’t be a good look. Also the Palmer high court ruling is next week (I think) and this preemptive move might avoid a bloodied nose if the case goes against the WA government.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, as ‘Covid safe’ behaviour isn’t really a thing at the moment in WA, just life as normal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, as ‘Covid safe’ behaviour isn’t really a thing at the moment in WA, just life as normal

Agree 100%. We are pretty complacent compared to the earlier months of the crisis. 

We will have to get serious again.....

• Like 1

I just hope there are effective controls in place to stop Sydney and Melbourne residents from heading off around the country.   I know we have only a few cases in each city, but remember - the Melbourne outbreak originated from ONE infected family!   In the other states, where people are living more-or-less normal  lives, one or two infectious people could wreak havoc before it's noticed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I just hope there are effective controls in place to stop Sydney and Melbourne residents from heading off around the country.   I know we have only a few cases in each city, but remember - the Melbourne outbreak originated from ONE infected family!   In the other states, where people are living more-or-less normal  lives, one or two infectious people could wreak havoc before it's noticed.

2 week quarantine if you travel to or from NSW/Vic from WA as I understand. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

2 week quarantine if you travel to or from NSW/Vic from WA as I understand. 

I thought it had been two weeks quarantine in a hotel facility but today Mr McGowan said nothing would change for residents of Vic and NSW, and they would have to ‘self isolate’ for two weeks with a Covid test at days 1 and 11. Has it been home isolation all this time for interstate travellers or did I pick it up wrong?

18 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I hope it goes well for WA, but, i do worry for them given what we have experienced in Scotland. Here, we were down to just a few cases per day just a couple of months ago. The WHO came out and said we were on track to be one of the few places that would eradicate it. We are now averaging about 1200 cases per day and lots of semi lockdown. Here in the central belt which includes Glasgow and Edinburgh pubs and restaurants are closed and lots of other restrictions in place. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I hope it goes well for WA, but, i do worry for them given what we have experienced in Scotland. Here, we were down to just a few cases per day just a couple of months ago. The WHO came out and said we were on track to be one of the few places that would eradicate it. We are now averaging about 1200 cases per day and lots of semi lockdown. Here in the central belt which includes Glasgow and Edinburgh pubs and restaurants are closed and lots of other restrictions in place. 

I think a second wave is inevitable with the softening of borders - just need people to do the right thing in order to reduce the impact.

• Sad 1

For a virus with a 99.8% recovery rate we just need to get on with life. The fear mongering by mainstream media has been atrocious! It’s really a mild virus. What about all these hundreds of people who have tested positive in hotel quarantine on return back into Perth? How many have died or been hospitalised??...Zero!

The most terrifying thing about this virus is the way Governments are behaving!

25 minutes ago, WeegieDave said:

For a virus with a 99.8% recovery rate we just need to get on with life. The fear mongering by mainstream media has been atrocious! It’s really a mild virus. What about all these hundreds of people who have tested positive in hotel quarantine on return back into Perth? How many have died or been hospitalised??...Zero!

The most terrifying thing about this virus is the way Governments are behaving!

Correct info on the epidemiology and pathogenesis of SARS-Cov-2 is also available...

The most terrifying thing about this virus is the commentary by conspiracy theorists and armchair experts undermining the efforts to control the virus by experts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DrDougster said:

Correct info on the epidemiology and pathogenesis of SARS-Cov-2 is also available...

The most terrifying thing about this virus is the commentary by conspiracy theorists and armchair experts undermining the efforts to control the virus by experts.

No idea who WeegieDave is.   DrDougster is a doctor.   I know who I believe.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

A mild virus that has killed over one million people worldwide.  Just saying. Also many more have serious continuous issues arising from contracting it.

I do agree to opening up borders though we have to be vigilant and monitor and all do our bit to stay healthy.

Common sense really but unfortunately it's been proven time and time again not everybody seems to have it     ......................  common sense I mean.

• Like 3

On 30/10/2020 at 22:52, Marisawright said:

There is evidence that the majority of the recent European outbreak all carry a recent mutation that originated in Spain.  So again a single person has seeded a massive outbreak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

I do agree to opening up borders though we have to be vigilant and monitor and all do our bit to stay healthy.

The trouble is that it's so hard to fight.   We're all diligently washing hands and wiping down groceries, but increasingly, it looks as though surfaces are a very minor source of infection (the studies so far have contaminated surfaces with massive amounts of live virus, which isn't how it would be in the real world).

From the research that's coming out, it seems the biggest risk is just being indoors with other people, and breathing in their infected breath.  The virus can hang in the air for much longer than previously thought, and be moved around by the air conditioning.  One study suggested tables in restaurants need to be at least 2.5 metres apart.

Funnily enough, planes are fine because the air flow can be set to change over the air very rapidly.  On other public transport or in buildings where a high percentage of air is recirculated (or where the air con doesn't work!), it's a real worry.   

(Not suggesting we should stop washing hands, of course!) 

Edited by Marisawright

2 hours ago, DrDougster said:

Sometimes you do wonder if these people are being paid by China to spread misinformation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

The big difference between Scotland and WA though is WA is opening it's borders to states that currently have no cases outside of the quarantine hotels whereas Scotland opened it's borders to England where the virus was widespread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The trouble is that it's so hard to fight.   We're all diligently washing hands and wiping down groceries, but increasingly, it looks as though surfaces are a very minor source of infection (the studies so far have contaminated surfaces with massive amounts of live virus, which isn't how it would be in the real world).

From the research that's coming out, it seems the biggest risk is just being indoors with other people, and breathing in their infected breath.  The virus can hang in the air for much longer than previously thought, and be moved around by the air conditioning.  One study suggested tables in restaurants need to be at least 2.5 metres apart.

Funnily enough, planes are fine because the air flow can be set to change over the air very rapidly.  On other public transport or in buildings where a high percentage of air is recirculated (or where the air con doesn't work!), it's a real worry.   

(Not suggesting we should stop washing hands, of course!) 

There was a flight, I think from US to Ireland, that led to over fifty people becoming infected...

Lots of sources - gate, getting on, waiting for plane to start moving, bustling around, all using the same toilet, waiting on the tarmac at the destination, all piling off without the airflow...

If people don't want to read, JAMA have some excellent content on their YouTube channel.

Stay safe and wash your hands.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DrDougster said:

There was a flight, I think from US to Ireland, that led to over fifty people becoming infected...

Lots of sources - gate, getting on, waiting for plane to start moving, bustling around, all using the same toilet, waiting on the tarmac at the destination, all piling off without the airflow...

If people don't want to read, JAMA have some excellent content on their YouTube channel.

Stay safe and wash your hands.

Actually I did say planes were safe, I didn’t say air travel was safe. Lots of crowded indoor spaces before and after the flight which are high risk too

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, NicF said:

The big difference between Scotland and WA though is WA is opening it's borders to states that currently have no cases outside of the quarantine hotels whereas Scotland opened it's borders to England where the virus was widespread.

The evidence though is that it wasn't England that was the problem. It was Spain. Lots of people went on holiday in August when restrictions eased and brought it back. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Actually I did say planes were safe, I didn’t say air travel was safe. Lots of crowded indoor spaces before and after the flight which are high risk too

The not reading comment wasn’t directed at anyone, sorry if it read like that. Planes aren’t as safe as used to be believed.

The “Eat out to help out” idea and “cheers” emoticon used by the government after the first lockdown were just stupid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VERYSTORMY said:

The evidence though is that it wasn't England that was the problem. It was Spain. Lots of people went on holiday in August when restrictions eased and brought it back. 

Which definitely isn’t going to happen in WA because the international borders are still closed, it’s just the state borders that are opening up, and even then only to the states that have got COVID well under control.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NicF said:

WA is opening up to states like SA that allow people arriving from Sydney to enter the community with no quarantine.  So if someone with the virus comes in from Sydney, goes on to infect a traveller from Adelaide who then flies into Perth, then you've got the seed for community transmission.

Granted, given the low prevalence in Sydney the risk isn't high, but it certainly exists.  That's why NZ is never going to open up to Australia until the virus has been eradicated here (28 days of zero community transmission).