HappyHeart

UK Care package ideas

3 hours ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

When we've tried to help him out he reminds us that the UK was living on rations for years after the war, and his Aunt in America was sending his family food parcels and chocolate until 1955 !  

I remember my mother sending food parcels from Australia to her English family in the early 1950s.  Christmas cakes and puddings were an especially  big deal  because they couldn't get dried fruit so multiple batches were made and posted off in October (6 weeks by sea mail).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Skani said:

I remember my mother sending food parcels from Australia to her English family in the early 1950s.  Christmas cakes and puddings were an especially  big deal  because they couldn't get dried fruit so multiple batches were made and posted off in October (6 weeks by sea mail).

Amazing.

He had 5 siblings, so every birthday a bar of American chocolate arrived and they were allowed 1 chunk each.  The birthday girl/boy got the rest of the bar.

It's part of the problem with the food we eat today and how obese everybody is.  He's never taken sugar, mainly because no food had sugar added unless it was a pudding, which they rarely got.  As for table sugar, they just could not buy it so never missed it.

• Like 1

Matt Hancock on TV, crying like the stepfather appealing for the return of the daughter he knows is buried under the garage floor.

•