Singapore or Qatar

DavidIII

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone on PIO has a recent experience or knows of reliability flying with Qatar or Singapore to Adelaide from London as I can’t decide who to book with.  Logically, Singapore would be my usual choice, but we now live in a very different world where the same logic sadly doesn’t exist.

Any comments would be most welcome.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, DavidIII said:

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone on PIO has a recent experience or knows of reliability flying with Qatar or Singapore to Adelaide from London as I can’t decide who to book with.  Logically, Singapore would be my usual choice, but we now live in a very different world where the same logic sadly doesn’t exist.

Any comments would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Hi David

We have just booked with qatar, leaving London 16.1.21 (fingers crossed), we have a 19.5 hour connection onto brisbane. I chose qatar as singapore didnt fly directly into brisbane, didnt really want to quarantine twice if rules changed. We have travelled with singapore airlines in the past and found them to be good, normally fly with emirates but couldnt get a flight until 5.3.21 with them. good luck.

I would absolutely choose Singapore, given the choice. Breaks up the flight legs more evenly, much much nicer airport (visit the Jewel if you end up going that way and have time to spare!) and various other reasons, including the recent 'searches' of women who were pulled off a departing flight.

3 hours ago, vickyplum said:

I would absolutely choose Singapore, given the choice. Breaks up the flight legs more evenly

I can't see how it's more even.  It's just a question of when you prefer to have the longest leg.   Coming from the UK, I'd go Singapore because I get the long flight over with first.  Going in the opposite direction, I'd prefer Qatar.  

I agree with you about the airport, though.  Singapore is great, Qatar is awful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2020 at 07:13, vickyplum said:

I would absolutely choose Singapore, given the choice. Breaks up the flight legs more evenly, much much nicer airport (visit the Jewel if you end up going that way and have time to spare!) and various other reasons, including the recent 'searches' of women who were pulled off a departing flight.

You can't visit anything due to covid19. You are directed to a designated area where you have to stay.

32 minutes ago, FOL said:

You can't visit anything due to covid19. You are directed to a designated area where you have to stay.

OK then. I  was referring to times when I've visited the airport, in non-COVID19 times. Clearly I'm out of touch since not leaving Australia in nearly 11 months.

Edited by vickyplum
  • Like 1

You don’t mention what class you’re flying?

I have flown Economy and Business Class in Singapore Airlines and only Business Class with Qatar. Multiple times for each. 

The service on Singapore Airlines was much better than Qatar. The business class seats on Qatar are better - proving you’re in the QSuite. The Singapore Airlines lounge is better than Qatar. Singapore airport is also much better than Doha. Singapore Airlines business class food is also better - you can order from a vast menu before you fly. Qatar allows you to eat any time you like - great for combating jet lag  

I haven’t tried Qatar’s economy class but Singapore’s is good. All their aircraft now have modern screens, USB, plug sockets etc.

This applies to both classes. The WIFi on Qatar is much cheaper than Singapore. I think it’s $10 for the whole flight. Singapore has an eye watering amount for a very small amount of data. 

I haven’t researched it recently but the connection times from Adelaide with Singapore were poor! This may have changed. 

Qatar is in OneWorld so I can earn Qatas points. 

I am not happy with the recent events with Qatar.

On balance I would probably pick Singapore Airlines. 

• 3 months later...
On 29/10/2020 at 16:03, kimboslice said:

Hi David

We have just booked with qatar, leaving London 16.1.21 (fingers crossed), we have a 19.5 hour connection onto brisbane. I chose qatar as singapore didnt fly directly into brisbane, didnt really want to quarantine twice if rules changed. We have travelled with singapore airlines in the past and found them to be good, normally fly with emirates but couldnt get a flight until 5.3.21 with them. good luck.

Kimboslice, did you get back on your first flight with Qatar? I've just posted around flight reliability and keen to hear other people's experience with Qatar recently. Thanks! 

33 minutes ago, ADM21 said:

Kimboslice, did you get back on your first flight with Qatar? I've just posted around flight reliability and keen to hear other people's experience with Qatar recently. Thanks! 

Hi

We did not travel in the end, 2 days before the flight my dad was tested positive for covid and unfortunately died a week later. We have a flight with emirates booked for March 5th. 

• Sad 5

10 hours ago, kimboslice said:

Hi

We did not travel in the end, 2 days before the flight my dad was tested positive for covid and unfortunately died a week later. We have a flight with emirates booked for March 5th. 

I'm so sorry to hear that, condolences to you and your family

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We have always preferred Singapore Airlines but currently  they are a third more expensive £985 vs £670 for economy one way which is eye Wateringly expensive when you look at business class for 2 adults. Also they are only flying at weekends which was always the more expensive option.

I haven't seen the stuff about Qatar Airlines pulling women off of planes so I will have to have a look into that to see. I've also never flown with them so no idea what to expect.

Kimboslice I'm sorry for your loss 😥

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nyxkat said:

We have always preferred Singapore Airlines but currently  they are a third more expensive £985 vs £670 for economy one way which is eye Wateringly expensive when you look at business class for 2 adults. Also they are only flying at weekends which was always the more expensive option.

I haven't seen the stuff about Qatar Airlines pulling women off of planes so I will have to have a look into that to see. I've also never flown with them so no idea what to expect.

Kimboslice I'm sorry for your loss 😥

Qatar airport authorities treated some women very badly, not sure it was the airline's fault.  I seriously doubt after the poor PR it would happen again.

Edited by Jon the Hat

8 hours ago, Nyxkat said:

I haven't seen the stuff about Qatar Airlines pulling women off of planes so I will have to have a look into that to see. I've also never flown with them so no idea what to expect.😥

It happened once.  They found a newborn baby abandoned in a toilet in the departures area, and wanted to track down the mother.  Insensitively handled, but it was only once and the publicity was so bad, they will be bending over backwards to ensure it never happens again, so I dont think it needs to put anyone off flying with them.

10 minutes ago, Freemantle said:

This incident happened with Emirates in Dubai.

We have been flying with Qatar for a few years now and thats our airline of choice, or Singapore whose service is always consistently good!

The incident occurred at Doha airport Qatar  ..................  Qatar Airways.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-28/qatar-airport-australian-women-examined-baby-born-what-we-know/12817070

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

The incident occurred at Doha airport Qatar  ..................  Qatar Airways.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-28/qatar-airport-australian-women-examined-baby-born-what-we-know/12817070

Apologies, you are so right!  well as Marisa quite rightly said it wont happen again and its not  the airline's fault, over eager  ground staff. A pretty disgusting situation  but wont stop me flying with them!

• Like 1

Thank you for the clarification, I really appreciate it 🙂 it changes things for sure. I can see how awful that situation must have been but agree it's not on the airline at that point. 

We see some interesting flights with finn air that are a bit longer but business class looks doable with them without being insanely expensive. Has anyone ever flown with them?

Don't know if this is of any interest to you, but sharing just in case.  I've booked with Etihad.  Business class is £3070 per ticket, £611 cancellation fee and £305 change fee.  It's substantially cheaper than any other airline doing a one stop flight.  The next closest was Qatar at £4287 but they only offer a voucher option on cancellation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/03/2021 at 16:27, FirstWorldProblems said:

Don't know if this is of any interest to you, but sharing just in case.  I've booked with Etihad.  Business class is £3070 per ticket, £611 cancellation fee and £305 change fee.  It's substantially cheaper than any other airline doing a one stop flight.  The next closest was Qatar at £4287 but they only offer a voucher option on cancellation.

When did you book your flight for? We got our business seats for July 7. There was nothing before July...