shiveringpom

Police check after citizenship test?

Ok so just want to clarify if this is new norm ....

Sat test and interview Brisbane  City 9/10/20...... all quick and straight forward 

At end of test she said " we will now trigger your police check " ..... i was in a fluster and didnt really think about it and just left  but on reflection  i thought ?eh

I didnt think checks where done after this point 

Is this normal ? does everyone now get them ?  i wish i had asked why  now  ...... any thoughts ? x 

it was my understanding (roughly! - I can't quote exact details or paragraphs of text 😉) that if you're been in Aus for most of the period leading to your application/test etc, the police check is done for you (ie, what you've mentioned above) and if you've spent a lot of time outside of the country, you may be asked obtain a check from that country, which I think you have to organise for yourself.

I guess they don't want to be awarding citizenship to anyone with a serious mark on their record (which I suppose could easily between the last police check being done for visa and 'now').

I don't think it's  a new process anyway

EDIT: found this - scroll down to "For Citizenship applications": https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-text/evidence/Pages/et-h0009.aspx

Edited by vickyplum

309/100 visa application lodged 28/08/13 | Visa sub-class 309 granted 09/05/14 | 100 (PR) visa application lodged 27/09/15 | PR granted 13/04/16 | Citizenship application lodged 18/06/19 | Citizenship interview invite 02/03/20  22/09/20 | Citizenship interview 27/04/20 11/11/20 | Application approved and now pending ceremony invite...

10 minutes ago, vickyplum said:

it was my understanding (roughly! - I can't quote exact details or paragraphs of text 😉) that if you're been in Aus for most of the period leading to your application/test etc, the police check is done for you (ie, what you've mentioned above) and if you've spent a lot of time outside of the country, you may be asked obtain a check from that country, which I think you have to organise for yourself.

I guess they don't want to be awarding citizenship to anyone with a serious mark on their record (which I suppose could easily between the last police check being done for visa and 'now').

I don't think it's  a new process anyway

EDIT: found this - scroll down to "For Citizenship applications": https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-text/evidence/Pages/et-h0009.aspx

we havent been out of the country and thats why i am confused ?  iam aware of that rule  wrt time out etc  so all seems a bit odd? 

our last police checks were done for PR  application from UK  ....... 

iam a boring middle aged  lady  with no  master criminal activity  as yet 😁

they mentioned it to my husband aswell at his test and interview but he got an approval letter within a week so not sure if they actually did one on him ?  strange .....

i wondered if random selection perhaps ?   as i note some people seem to get switched to 'approved' very quickly and others stay as 'received' for longer despite passing test / interview  even from the same family groups  sitting them on the same days even ? 

It’s been a while since I did citizenship but.... I remember this as my name was the same as someone in NSW who had a record, so the rest of the family passed straight away but I had to wait until my name was cleared. So don’t stress it’s just a routine check.

I would love to know what my namesake had done though 🧐🤣🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shiveringpom said:

we havent been out of the country and thats why i am confused ?  iam aware of that rule  wrt time out etc  so all seems a bit odd? 

our last police checks were done for PR  application from UK  ....... 

iam a boring middle aged  lady  with no  master criminal activity  as yet 😁

they mentioned it to my husband aswell at his test and interview but he got an approval letter within a week so not sure if they actually did one on him ?  strange .....

The police check they mention is the Australian Police check, it's standard for all applications, they can access electronically so doesn't take much time. I think they actually did it as I was sitting there

• Like 1

Coming back to this again... I've just sat my interview and test. Was explicitly told I didn't need a police check as I've only been out of the country on short holidays. 

309/100 visa application lodged 28/08/13 | Visa sub-class 309 granted 09/05/14 | 100 (PR) visa application lodged 27/09/15 | PR granted 13/04/16 | Citizenship application lodged 18/06/19 | Citizenship interview invite 02/03/20  22/09/20 | Citizenship interview 27/04/20 11/11/20 | Application approved and now pending ceremony invite...

Everyone has an AUSTRALIAN police check done for them. You did not need to do another one for anywhere as you hadn’t spent lengthy time overseas. 

All applicants except for young children have a police check before approval. 

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Does it matter?   Why be flustered? I wouldn’t care less if they wanted to do a police check on me.

Edited by Tulip1

11 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Does it matter?   Why be flustered? I wouldn’t care less if they wanted to do a police check on me.

i was in a fluster as i had forgotten some paperwork on sitting down at the desk  altho it didnt matter as it was all online and she didnt care i didnt have original -   not the police check itself  - that was just a genuine query as thought didnt need one  by time got to citizenship stage -not that it mattered as all approved now and finally at end of road - hurrah ! x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The citizenship branch will contact the Feds and ask whether anything is known and if anything is, they want to know what is.

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com