Jump to content
Daffyduck

189 Visa with delayed move

Recommended Posts

Hi,

First time poster, apologies if this is a naive question!

My wife and I have considered a move to Australia for a number of years but have never actually gotten round to it. With the uncertainty of Berexit, fallout from COVID etc. We're considering it again.

We both are eligible to apply for skilled migrant visas (189), she's  a veterinarian and I'm a medical laboratory scientist. 

My question is, can we apply for the visa from the UK, be granted permanent residency rights and move at a later date, possibly even several years later? I'm thinking it might be an idea to apply now before we're over 40!

TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Though you have to make first entry within a year of medical or police check, which ever is earlier. Though this can literally be a flight to Oz, go through passport control and get on a flight home. You then have five years from the date of grant to make the move.

However, to look at points. Although 65 is the minimum requirement, in reality you need 95 to get an invite. As a result I would strongly recommend speaking to a good registered migration agent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @VERYSTORMY, bit of a mixed bag there, we wouldn't get 95 points as neither of us have studied in Australia, in fact a good chunk of the points seem to be relating to study there. Even assuming a nomination under a subclass 190 we still only get 90 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Medical lab scientist may hit a sweet spot at the moment. I’d get some advice and get started ASAP. 


____________________________________________________________________

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Daffyduck said:

@VERYSTORMY Further to previous, it's looking like free movement is very much on the cards for a 2021 trade deal, all is not lost!

I really wouldn’t bank on that ... 


____________________________________________________________________

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, paulhand said:

Medical lab scientist may hit a sweet spot at the moment. I’d get some advice and get started ASAP. 

How so? I've been managing my own lab for a few years now but not against going back on the bench for a move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Daffyduck said:

We both are eligible to apply for skilled migrant visas (189), she's  a veterinarian and I'm a medical laboratory scientist. 

Being eligible is not enough, as you can only apply if you are invited.

Currently a little over 100 invites are issued per month and priority is given to onshore applicants.

As such a 189 is not guaranteed and you should explore all potential options.

22 minutes ago, Daffyduck said:

@VERYSTORMY Further to previous, it's looking like free movement is very much on the cards for a 2021 trade deal, all is not lost!

Unlikely to happen. 

 


Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Raul Senise said:

Being eligible is not enough, as you can only apply if you are invited.

Currently a little over 100 invites are issued per month and priority is given to onshore applicants.

As such a 189 is not guaranteed and you should explore all potential options.

Unlikely to happen. 

 

What makes you think that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most political leaders out here seem very keen to limit immigration, numbers have fallen substantially over recent years.  Free  movement is very much against the grain at the moment and “free” means losing control which i’m pretty sure Australia/UK won’t want to do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mt9754 said:

Most political leaders out here seem very keen to limit immigration, numbers have fallen substantially over recent years.  Free  movement is very much against the grain at the moment and “free” means losing control which i’m pretty sure Australia/UK won’t want to do.

Strangely, both UK and Australian delegates are being quoted as saying that movement of people will very much feature in the trade deal likely to come into effect 1st Jan 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Daffyduck said:

Strangely, both UK and Australian delegates are being quoted as saying that movement of people will very much feature in the trade deal likely to come into effect 1st Jan 2021.

Yep, it may well do.  Remember prior to the EU the UK and Australia had special arrangements, but i very much doubt it will be free movement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Daffyduck said:

@VERYSTORMY Further to previous, it's looking like free movement is very much on the cards for a 2021 trade deal, all is not lost!

No it isn't,  smoke and mirrors I'm afraid.  There is no way Australia would accept totally free movement, because that would allow thousands of parents and retirees to flood into Australia, and the government has done the numbers - being entitled to Medicare and benefits, they would cost the Australian taxpayer many times more than the money they bring in.  

Even Tony Abbott has been careful to qualify it, talking about free movement "for work".  So there will be conditions and it might work for you - but then again, it might just be for temporary transfers of staff working for UK companies.

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Daffyduck said:

Strangely, both UK and Australian delegates are being quoted as saying that movement of people will very much feature in the trade deal likely to come into effect 1st Jan 2021.

There’s a big difference between ‘movement of people will very much feature’ and ‘free movement’ ... the whole point, apparently, of Brexit was to end free movement of people from next door, let alone the other side of the world and, from Australia’s perspective, where’s the upside for Australia in this? I can see, perhaps, some relaxation of rules around temporary work visas, in line with other free trade deals Australia has signed, but beyond that it’s hard to see. 

Edited by paulhand
  • Like 2

____________________________________________________________________

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

No it isn't,  smoke and mirrors I'm afraid.  There is no way Australia would accept totally free movement, because that would allow thousands of parents and retirees to flood into Australia, and the government has done the numbers - being entitled to Medicare and benefits, they would cost the Australian taxpayer many times more than the money they bring in.  

Even Tony Abbott has been careful to qualify it, talking about free movement "for work".  So there will be conditions and it might work for you - but then again, it might just be for temporary transfers of staff working for UK companies.

Yes, I should have specified that those quoted did specifically say it was for work. Can completely understand why a mass influx of UK retirees wouldn't be appealing to Australia.

 

Who knows, there may or may not be some degree of free movement post 2021. Regardless, it's not looking like they make it easy, even for people with jobs listed on the skills shortages with qualifications!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Daffyduck said:

What makes you think that?

Raul is a highly experienced agent so you can trust what he says.  I wish Immigration would update its information, because the 65-point threshold is grossly misleading. It's been many years since anyone got invited with less than 75 points, and in recent times, no one has got invited with less than 90.   

Here's a table from 2019:

https://www.iscah.com/will-get-189-invite-updated-predictions/

....and it's got worse since then.   Unfortunately, as you get older, you lose points, and there's nothing you can do about that. 

Your only hope, as Paul says, is that they seem to be giving priority to medical-related staff, so your wife might stand a chance - but I suspect you'd have to go for an employer-sponsored or provisional visa and that would mean moving now not later, so you stand a chance of transitioning to PR in due course. 

I think you may have missed the boat unfortunately.


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Daffyduck said:

What makes you think that?

If you are referring to my 189 comments, they are based on the Regulations and how Skillselect operates. You will find the reality of this option very different to how it is advertised on many Migration websites touting for business.

In regards to free movement, there has been talk of this for many month since a speech by the Prime Minister was grossly misreported. There has been talk of "movement of people", however this is far from "free movement" between the two countries. Time will tell I suppose, but I would caution basing your whole Australian Immigration plan on it.

 


Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Raul Senise said:

If you are referring to my 189 comments, they are based on the Regulations and how Skillselect operates. You will find the reality of this option very different to how it is advertised on many Migration websites touting for business.

In regards to free movement, there has been talk of this for many month since a speech by the Prime Minister was grossly misreported. There has been talk of "movement of people", however this is far from "free movement" between the two countries. Time will tell I suppose, but I would caution basing your whole Australian Immigration plan on it.

 

Sorry, I wasn't particularly clear in my reply, I see from your sig block that you specialise in migration so was genuinely curious as to your opinion, the latter part of your post addressed that, thank you.

 

18 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Raul is a highly experienced agent so you can trust what he says.  I wish Immigration would update its information, because the 65-point threshold is grossly misleading. It's been many years since anyone got invited with less than 75 points, and in recent times, no one has got invited with less than 90.   

Here's a table from 2019:

https://www.iscah.com/will-get-189-invite-updated-predictions/

....and it's got worse since then.   Unfortunately, as you get older, you lose points, and there's nothing you can do about that. 

Your only hope, as Paul says, is that they seem to be giving priority to medical-related staff, so your wife might stand a chance - but I suspect you'd have to go for an employer-sponsored or provisional visa and that would mean moving now not later, so you stand a chance of transitioning to PR in due course. 

I think you may have missed the boat unfortunately.

That's a shame, we're not 100% sure as we both have established careers at the top of our respective fields so moving to Australia would present a substantial risk, it would be nice to have the option.

Unfortunately here, Brexit poses so many potential problems it's difficult to know what the right course of action is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Daffyduck said:

Who knows, there may or may not be some degree of free movement post 2021. Regardless, it's not looking like they make it easy, even for people with jobs listed on the skills shortages with qualifications!

It's probably misleading to think of it as a skills shortages list.  Australia used to be a new country crying out for workers, but not any more. Now it's the same as any other developed country,  training most of the workers it needs.  Australia needs migrants to keep population numbers up (due to a declining birth rate), but the unemployment rate  is similar to the UK, so they need to be careful who they accept.  The skills on the list are the ones where applicants can be reasonably assured of not ending up on the dole. That's all. 


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Daffyduck said:

Strangely, both UK and Australian delegates are being quoted as saying that movement of people will very much feature in the trade deal likely to come into effect 1st Jan 2021.

What you are thinking about has been a discussion point for many years. In reality, not going to happen. Migration is a massive hot potatoe in Australia. No politician would sign up to this as it would be a political death knell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your comments, certainly food for thought. 

Certainly seems like moving to Australia is far from easy!

Edited by Daffyduck
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend getting professional advise on your situation. As much are you are not sure you definitely want to go, if it is an option it may be worth exploring it and gaining a visa then at least that way you do have the option for the future. Age and lots of other matters make it more impossible as the years pass.

 

good luck with your decision, if you can spare some cash and energy I would definitely explore all of your options.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Daffyduck are you including a potential 20 points from the language test?  If not then definitely worth looking into. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maussie said:

@Daffyduck are you including a potential 20 points from the language test?  If not then definitely worth looking into. 

I hadn't no, thanks for pointing that out.

Definitely seems like speaking with a professional is the right way to go!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was about £170 for the PTE Academic 3h PC based exam. Can book about a week ahead. There's a good sticky about IELTS Vs PTE on PIO. Decent YouTube resources and an app on the phone for PTE examples. 

 

Could do the English language test and see where it takes you points-wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×