Subclass 300 Visa advice please.

Ste.H73

Hey.

Got my subclass 300 visa granted march 2020. Australia closed their borders 3 days later due to covid. Have not been able to enter  Australia.

My enter by date is 17th Dec 2020, the way everything is going this will come and go.

I have contacted department of home affairs numerous times and latest they told me is to get an exemption. When I said an exemption is ok, but there's no flights to Aus available anyway they couldn't answer me. Told me to get a refund, reapply and enter when restrictions lifted.

If I apply for an exemption, would they extend enter by date due to no flights?  Do I cancel my visa, request a refund and reapply?

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Waited over 12 months to get this visa granted, frustrated that I have not been able to and still cannot enter and now could be back to square one.

Any advice, ideas, suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Ste.H73 said:

If I apply for an exemption, would they extend enter by date due to no flights?

No they won’t. 

It’s still very difficult to get a travel exemption for a 300 visa holder. If your visa expires before you can use it you will be able to apply for a refund. They have said applicants in this situation will get priority processing of a new application. 

Thank you both for replying.

Finding flights is difficult with thousands of Aussies still not being able to return home & the cost of the seats. Have no idea where to even find a legitimate flight that will actually take off and land. Where would i find these flights that would assure me taking off and landing? I would like to check out the pricing.

I have heard exemptions can be difficult to obtain as well as getting a flight. Am i able to apply for a refund prior to my visa enter by date expiring if I am unable to obtain an exemption and a flight? Just so i can start the application process over again sooner rather than later? Really hoping I can receive priority processing of new application. I was hoping to be living in Australia many months ago, as would many others I can only imagine. 

Really appreciate the replies & thank you.

2 hours ago, Ste.H73 said:

I have heard exemptions can be difficult to obtain 

The only way to know if you can get an exemption is to apply for one. It costs nothing to apply.  It doesn't expire.  So you can apply for an exemption, wait and see if you get one, then try to see if you can get a flight.  

Flights are taking off and landing every day.  They do contain mainly business and first class passengers, though, so don't bother buying an economy ticket.

3 hours ago, Ste.H73 said:

Am i able to apply for a refund prior to my visa enter by date expiring if I am unable to obtain an exemption and a flight? Just so i can start the application process over again sooner rather than later? 

No ... you can’t as the visa is still valid. If you can’t get an exemption then there is little point in a new “priority” application until the travel rules change.