How Long before you realised that Australia was or was not the place that you wanted to spend the rest of your days ?

bug family

4 hours ago, Jennyrose Shields said:

As a retired person my advice is to make a list of pros and cons Before you turn 50 ys .

Thank you for your post Jennyrose, sounds like your having a tough time of it, ❤️hopefully you get that house in cheshire and settle back into UK life without too many bumps in the road

I also think that this is great advice, leave it much later than 50 and your options start to narrow rapidly 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jennyrose Shields said:

I knew on arrival but had to stay for husbands job . Now 20 yrs later we have no choice but to return to the UK . In our 60s and I have ill health and cannot afford the medical fees in Australia . 
been on the waiting list for knee hips and shoulder replacements told it will be 3 more yrs or more . 
cannot afford the private system unless we sell our home then we would be homeless . 

So returning back to the UK buying a small bungalow in Cheshire . 12/18 mths for my hips and knee but will be quicker for the shoulder as that’s classed as an emergency as it effects my breathing if I get a cold and cough. 
leaving behind 2 sons 5 grandchildren . 
But as one said they can never afford to buy a house in Sydney so may well follow us 🙄 depending on their partners . 

As a retired person my advice is to make a list of pros and cons Before you turn 50 ys . 

You sure the wait times are shorter in the UK?  Who has told you that? I have heard people say recently they’ve waited years for things like hip/knee replacements.  Not trying to put you off but if that’s the only reason you’re returning (only one you’ve given) just be really sure those timescales are right. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

This is such good advice.  Every now and then, we'll see someone post here, saying they don't feel at home in Australia but they'll stay because of the higher pay or the better house or whatever, then they'll retire 'back home'.   It doesn't work like that, as you're discovering.  If you wait till retirement age, it's often too late, whether that's because of family or because you can't afford it.   If someone doesn't see Australia as their forever home, it's much better to move at 50, when they've still got time to establish themselves.

Best of luck with your move home and hope you get the treatment you need asap.

Ah yes, the dreaded Point of No Return!!! Excellent advice there!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, NickyNook said:

Hip replacement if you have private health insurance has an average out of pocket cost of $1120.

I think yo'uve taken that figure from the BUPA website, but it's misleading.  I think health insurers want to convince you that you're going to get a good deal.  

Canstar says the average out of pocket cost is $2,054, and that's based on figures up to 2016, so I'd expect it to be higher by now.  They also say: "these average out-of-pocket costs do not include any excess the policyholder might need to pay and are based on the patient using a hospital within the insurers’ partner networks".  

I had my spinal surgery in a hospital that wasn't part of the insurers' network. The insurer paid $25,000 but I still ended up paying $10,000 myself.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Hip replacement on its own, about $30,000

Reason I asked was that a lady at work went to Thailand to get her's done last year, and she said it was half the price. I just Googled it and it's about $12,000 - then there's the flights, of course - but still a big saving.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

You sure the wait times are shorter in the UK?  Who has told you that? I have heard people say recently they’ve waited years for things like hip/knee replacements.  Not trying to put you off but if that’s the only reason you’re returning (only one you’ve given) just be really sure those timescales are right. 

It depends on where you live. You can check hospital waiting times for different operations on the NHS website.

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/hospitals/guide-to-nhs-waiting-times-in-england/

They also look at each case and decide how urgent it is in terms of the patient's needs. My 88 year-old mum fell over and broke her hip on the Friday night and they did the hip replacement on Sunday morning (this was in 2018). Sadly she never walked again as she was just too weak to support herself and died a few months later, but the NHS did her proud.

• Like 1

It does vary if course. Was speaking to my sister last night who lives in the North of England. Her hubby has a hernia, causing him problems and he can’t keep working (renovating property) or fly to their second home overseas. Waiting list in NHS is 2 plus years as not critical and at age 70 they see it as unlikely to alter his life! Not everyone stops living an active life at 70 for heaven’s sake! (Some people never really are active at all).

Even going private there is a long wait as more people are doing this and most surgeons do both NHS and private work. He has had to employ labour and cancel two trips so far. My sister is ex NHS and daughter is a physio and they know the ropes and who to speak to but can’t get things done quicker………

They really have no option but to pay for private care and that means extra scans etc. If an active man at 70 stops he will lose muscle quickly and find it harder to regain it, making his life less active going forward. As a man who has always done physically hard work and looks much younger and toned than many 50 year olds  he is now also depressed to add to his woes.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

It depends on where you live. You can check hospital waiting times for different operations on the NHS website.

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/hospitals/guide-to-nhs-waiting-times-in-england/

They also look at each case and decide how urgent it is in terms of the patient's needs. My 88 year-old mum fell over and broke her hip on the Friday night and they did the hip replacement on Sunday morning (this was in 2018). Sadly she never walked again as she was just too weak to support herself and died a few months later, but the NHS did her proud.

My 92 year old aunt was exactly the same, once the care home had called the ambulance and it had arrived, the hip replacement was pretty much the next day.  She did recover (to a point) and was essentially ambulant again but died within 6 months anyway.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Quoll said:

My 92 year old aunt was exactly the same, once the care home had called the ambulance and it had arrived, the hip replacement was pretty much the next day.  She did recover (to a point) and was essentially ambulant again but died within 6 months anyway.

It's the same here if you fall and break a hip - usually replaced asap   Not so for people suffering from arthritis in hips/knees.  A fairly long wait unless private.  When we first came to Tasmania the wait time wasn't too bad but over the years it is taking longer and longer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Toots said:

It's the same here if you fall and break a hip - usually replaced asap   Not so for people suffering from arthritis in hips/knees.  A fairly long wait unless private.  When we first came to Tasmania the wait time wasn't too bad but over the years it is taking longer and longer.

LOL, anything elective in Canberra takes years. 

11 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

An emergency is always treated as such.  Someone who falls over and breaks a hip cannot wait years for a replacement.  As an emergency it would of course be dealt with immediately.  Very different from someone who just needs one.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rammygirl said:

It does vary if course. Was speaking to my sister last night who lives in the North of England. Her hubby has a hernia, causing him problems and he can’t keep working (renovating property) or fly to their second home overseas. Waiting list in NHS is 2 plus years as not critical and at age 70 they see it as unlikely to alter his life! Not everyone stops living an active life at 70 for heaven’s sake! (Some people never really are active at all).

Even going private there is a long wait as more people are doing this and most surgeons do both NHS and private work. He has had to employ labour and cancel two trips so far. My sister is ex NHS and daughter is a physio and they know the ropes and who to speak to but can’t get things done quicker………

They really have no option but to pay for private care and that means extra scans etc. If an active man at 70 stops he will lose muscle quickly and find it harder to regain it, making his life less active going forward. As a man who has always done physically hard work and looks much younger and toned than many 50 year olds  he is now also depressed to add to his woes.  

Pain is not considered a reason enough to do something on the NHS, certainly not at speed.  A threat to life is very different. Unfortunately the NHS is on its knees.  It has to decide on whether  it a danger to health rather than will it stop the pain and make life nicer for the patient.  I have a close family member who has chronic varicose  veins all up their legs.  They ache continually and keep them awake at night.  They have been told they won’t get them done on the NHS as pain isn’t a reason to get treatment.  The veins aren’t a danger to her, just very unpleasant.   I haven’t heard of long waits privately although don’t doubt you’ve come across them.  Someone at work had an operation last December privately.  She was able to have the surgery within 10 days.  The consultant did 2 days private and the rest NHS.  The surgery she needed would have been a 3 year wait on the NHS.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

LOL, anything elective in Canberra takes years. 

I expect it’s the same all over whether the UK or Australia.  It’s unpleasant to say the least but not a threat to life.  

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Good to check the waiting times in your area but also good to check if they actually meet those targets.  I hear so often about operations being cancelled/delayed.  I wonder if those stats are so readily available. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Pain is not considered a reason enough to do something on the NHS, certainly not at speed.  A threat to life is very different. Unfortunately the NHS is on its knees.  It has to decide on whether  it a danger to health rather than will it stop the pain and make life nicer for the patient.  I have a close family member who has chronic varicose  veins all up their legs.  They ache continually and keep them awake at night.  They have been told they won’t get them done on the NHS as pain isn’t a reason to get treatment.  The veins aren’t a danger to her, just very unpleasant.   I haven’t heard of long waits privately although don’t doubt you’ve come across them.  Someone at work had an operation last December privately.  She was able to have the surgery within 10 days.  The consultant did 2 days private and the rest NHS.  The surgery she needed would have been a 3 year wait on the NHS.  

It's no wonder so many are now addicted to painkillers and dying from overdoses. There really is absolutely nothing worse than being in pain with no end in sight. I was in that situation a few years ago, and ever since I've been truly thankful for every day I've woken up in good health.

I'm sorry for those who are unhappy here and wish to return to the UK, but anyone who thinks they're going to get better state-funded health care in the UK than they are in Australia are deluding themselves in my opinion. You can compare waiting times and regional differences, but apples for apples you'll get better health care here - not because the Australian system is any better but because it isn't under the burden the NHS is, which is virtually grinding to a halt. If you follow the news it's pretty much one tale of woe after another other there...

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-65291267

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-the-papers-65295278

• Like 3

23 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

It's no wonder so many are now addicted to painkillers and dying from overdoses. There really is absolutely nothing worse than being in pain with no end in sight. I was in that situation a few years ago, and ever since I've been truly thankful for every day I've woken up in good health.

I'm sorry for those who are unhappy here and wish to return to the UK, but anyone who thinks they're going to get better state-funded health care in the UK than they are in Australia are deluding themselves in my opinion. You can compare waiting times and regional differences, but apples for apples you'll get better health care here - not because the Australian system is any better but because it isn't under the burden the NHS is, which is virtually grinding to a halt. If you follow the news it's pretty much one tale of woe after another other there...

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-65291267

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-the-papers-65295278

NHS is in a more advanced state of decay than the Australian equivalent but give it time here in Australia. Even aged care facilities are closing in Perth. Truth is neither system is performing well . One is not aware probably of the extent of mistakes and at times incompetence within the medical system in Australia. Unless it happens to some one you know of course. This  is a country where much is under cover and I have come to question a lot of stats , as in not being the full picture. 

I have over recent years learnt of more people getting procedures done overseas , in both dental and medical (not forgetting cosmetic) due to cost primary , but also the service and positive outcomes from others who went before.

I've heard (read) some great things about the system in Portugal , and the world standing in medical outcomes in that country. May well be a reason Portugal has climbed so high up the retirement location rankings. 

• Like 1

On 16/04/2023 at 18:58, Tulip1 said:

I expect it’s the same all over whether the UK or Australia.  It’s unpleasant to say the least but not a threat to life.  

Without doubt. But living in pain and/or discomfort should not be considered to be 'acceptable' by any health system in the advanced world. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I've heard (read) some great things about the system in Portugal , and the world standing in medical outcomes in that country. May well be a reason Portugal has climbed so high up the retirement location rankings. 

In the case of Portugal it's down to the ease of residence and low tax regime - 10 years tax-free on overseas income for expats. It's proved so popular that it's caused a housing crisis in the more popular parts of Portugal because the locals can no longer afford accommodation on their wages. I gather that the government is cancelling the 'golden visa' program which allowed no-EU residents to live and work there, although I don't know about the 10 years' tax free allowance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

In the case of Portugal it's down to the ease of residence and low tax regime - 10 years tax-free on overseas income for expats. It's proved so popular that it's caused a housing crisis in the more popular parts of Portugal because the locals can no longer afford accommodation on their wages. I gather that the government is cancelling the 'golden visa' program which allowed no-EU residents to live and work there, although I don't know about the 10 years' tax free allowance.

Yes. I believe The Golden Visa has been cancelled. It seems popular with digital nomads and retirees in the south. Would be high up the scale as a favourite choice for self. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Yes. I believe The Golden Visa has been cancelled. It seems popular with digital nomads and retirees in the south. Would be high up the scale as a favourite choice for self. 

Is it your partner stopping you?

You have been going on for years about how bad Perth is and all through the pandemic you were talking about different places you were investigating overseas.

But despite all this you never move out of Perth. Seems odd if it is that bad a place to live for you.

4 hours ago, Toots said:

Hobart, Launceston and Devonport are to have Medicare Urgent Care Centres by the middle of the year.  They are supposed to take the pressure of the hospital emergency departments.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-17/tas-to-get-four-bulk-billing-medicare-rgent-care-centre/102230106

LOL I was teasing my niece that she needs to learn to knit her own socks to occupy her ramping time in Launceston, I dont think she took me up on it, but I am sure she would appreciate les ramping time.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Quoll said:

LOL I was teasing my niece that she needs to learn to knit her own socks to occupy her ramping time in Launceston, I dont think she took me up on it, but I am sure she would appreciate les ramping time.

I had to Google 'ramping time' - never heard that term before!

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

I have no experience with Launceston General but I went with an elderly neighbour on Friday to the Mersey Community Hospital.  The ambulance arrived at her house 10 minutes after the call then the ambos unloaded her at the hospital (no waiting at all) and took her to a ward.  I thought it would have been busy but the whole place was quiet.  I've been a patient at Launceston General but never needed to go by ambulance.  Never had to go to an emergency department      .....................    yet.

I imagine most have answered the original post with a return to the UK in mind, but for me it was more about feeling trapped here. That kicked in around 2006-7 when Facebook really took off, and friends were posting photos of their European holidays and adventures. It made me think about all the places I'd like to visit but couldn't afford to because Australia is so far from everywhere. My mum was cracking on too and I wanted to be there for her 80th birthday, as I thought it might be her last one with a nought on the end - and sadly it was. So after more than a decade here I returned the UK in 2008 for what turned out to be a little under 3 years. I didn't travel as much as I'd liked as I still needed to work of course, but every holiday (bar one to Scotland) was a European one, so lots of those boxes were ticked - including a trip to Austria with mum.

On the downside I was earning a lot less money than in Australia, I couldn't get used to how many grey days there were, and many of my friends had moved on - either literally or metaphorically. Friends who were 5-10 years younger were busy with young families, while the older ones had become somewhat staid. The amount of grey hair that had appeared in my absence was shocking, although I've followed suit in recent years so I shouldn't be too judgemental! I'm very fortunate to work for the QLD government who gave me 3 years unpaid leave, and having a job to return to was a major bonus. I can honestly say that I don't feel a strong pull to either Australia or the UK, so it came down to economics and the weather in the end.

My wife and I went back to the UK for Christmas 2014, and then twice in 2018 - once when my mum had a fall, and later that year for her funeral. Throughout the pandemic I never felt homesick and was just glad to be here. Australia somehow felt safer than the rest of the world, especially here in Cairns where life pretty much went on as usual for most of it. Last year we went on holiday to Fiji which was lovely, but when you already live in the tropics it's a bit like coals to Newcastle. I have to say that I'm starting to feel the urge to go back again, although it would be mostly to Europe and a whistle-stop tour of the UK to visit friends.

• Like 2