How Long before you realised that Australia was or was not the place that you wanted to spend the rest of your days ?

bug family

On 10/03/2022 at 06:52, beketamun said:

You get the USA, it's 52 states are very independent and far more diverse than both Australia and the UK.    There are parts which resemble both, parts which resemble one or the other,  and many others which are alien to both due to climate, geography, environment, religion and the culture and living necessities that have evolved in the the last 300 years.  Cultures within cultures.

My BIL became American 20 years ago now, and worked in all 52 states in that time.  His biggest comment is that the Brits think all Americans are the same as them because they speak the same language, but the American way of thinking is completely different and the British cultural and social outlook is far closer to that of your average German than it is to that of your average American.  Let's not forget that America fought a war to get away from British influence, and Australian Federation was the start of breaking away from being told how Australia was to be managed from afar, whilst retaining the relationships to absorb or reject advice under self-determination.   

It's no different to those poms who come to Australia and don't make a success of it, putting the blame on "Australia" rather than realising that they may have just made bad choices in where they went, or how they decided to live there lives here, or even how suited they were to any sort of emigration anywhere in the world.  You fit in and make a success of it, or you may as well try somewhere else or go back to where you came from and try again there.

Odd considering there are only 50 states in USA. I don't recall a Brit ever thinking they were like an American. I suppose they exist, but don't recall hearing it. Northern Germans a little perhaps. Don't see Brits similar to Germans overall. Well Australia does sell itself (markets) in a certain way. As with all successful marketing some will buy into the product not being fully aware of what they are buying into. Not entirely their fault. Australia is simply not the win/win situation it once was on the economic level. 

After rarely going to Macca, I've had two this week, both in the Cavill Mall Maccas at Surfers. On the other 47 nights I've been here (so far) I've been to "proper" restaurants. I managed an alcohol free night today too. In restaurants I always have wine or beer with my tucker.

6 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

After rarely going to Macca, I've had two this week, both in the Cavill Mall Maccas at Surfers. On the other 47 nights I've been here (so far) I've been to "proper" restaurants. I managed an alcohol free night today too. In restaurants I always have wine or beer with my tucker.

You must be doing well if you can afford to eat in a restaurant every night.

How is your waist line?

9 hours ago, Parley said:

You must be doing well if you can afford to eat in a restaurant every night.

How is your waist line?

My waist line? Let's say I don't turn the light on in the bathroom when I'm having a Pommie shower.

I usually have breakfast and lunch at home but eat out for dinner.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 14/06/2022 at 21:39, Davier said:

Tried it but, the heat isnt for me and i cant deal with spiders. Currently in Canada, very nice here but think i want to go back and fourth to the UK, its wet but somehow pleasant?

Hi Davier,

It was a toss up between Australia and Canada for us before we came, what made the decision easier was that my wife (now ex) had already been to Australia on a number of occasions.

would have loved to have tried Canada, maybe one day 🙂 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ten long years ago I made a promise to myself and my country 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 that I would have an adventure down under, but that I would return home one day ......that time is now upon me and I am now leaving this great southern land 🇦🇺 to return home to work as a paramedic for north west ambulance service around Manchester 💚

It has been an amazing ten years I have worked with and met so many amazing people, I have seen and done things I could never have dreamt of, it was so very hard to say good bye.

Just waiting for my plane at Perth airport

Wish me luck on my next adventure

I'm coming home xxx 💚

• Like 16
  • Congratulations 1

1 hour ago, bug family said:

Ten long years ago I made a promise to myself and my country 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 that I would have an adventure down under, but that I would return home one day ......that time is now upon me and I am now leaving this great southern land 🇦🇺 to return home to work as a paramedic for north west ambulance service around Manchester 💚

It has been an amazing ten years I have worked with and met so many amazing people, I have seen and done things I could never have dreamt of, it was so very hard to say good bye.

I'm coming home xxx 💚

Good luck for the next phase of your adventure!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bug family said:

I'm coming home xxx 💚

Sending hugs your way, @bug family

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bug family said:

I'm coming home xxx 💚

Keep in touch with us on PIO and let us know how you are once you have settled into your new adventure.  😀

wyatb.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bug family said:

I'm coming home xxx 💚

Really hope it all works out for you xM

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bug family said:

I'm coming home xxx 💚

Best Wishes, hope it all works out for you.

• Thanks 1

Croeso adre BF (hope I got that right, my Welsh is still a work in progress!).  This  must be something of a bitter sweet time, but from your posts it's clear you have not made any decisions lightly and now it's time for the next chapter. Good luck and take care, Tx 

• Thanks 1

On 05/07/2022 at 23:52, bug family said:

I'm coming home xxx 💚

Good luck!!! Hope it all works out brilliantly for you!

• Thanks 1

On 05/07/2022 at 21:52, bug family said:

I'm coming home xxx 💚

All the best to you!  I am sure the ambulance service is lucky to have you.

• Thanks 1

On 24/10/2020 at 23:53, Amber Snowball said:

The tumbleweed was huge and fast moving.

Oh this made me laugh. Been there. 
As you say it’s hard to see life through the eyes of others.

In answer I moved with intention of staying forever. That continued for 10 years and then changed to how the hell can I get out of here. 🤷‍♂️ No rhyme or reason, just happened.

Me and my wife have been here almost 7 years and that's where we are at now. Planning to move back to the Uk as soon as financially viable, likely end of 2023.

• Like 4

On 26/10/2020 at 19:33, bunbury61 said:

There is nowhere in the world ,like the u.k for convenience , including the United States and Europe  

Thats food , electricals , sportswear etc etc 

We are spoilt .

You really don't realise it until you live in Australia how convenient it was living in the Uk. Coles and Woolworths are a joke compared to any supermarket in the UK. When we first arrived we were looking for like the big woolorths or big coles not realising they didn't exist! 

2 minutes ago, Richie2022 said:

You really don't realise it until you live in Australia how convenient it was living in the Uk. Coles and Woolworths are a joke compared to any supermarket in the UK. When we first arrived we were looking for like the big woolorths or big coles not realising they didn't exist! 

Whilst I liked going to ASDA and appreciated its George(?) range of clothing I can't say I've ever moped around Woolies or Coles thinking "What horrible, horrible places." They're "JUST" supermarkets - big convenience stores. UK supermarkets may be better quality but I'm not going to move back to the UK for that. The only thing I missed about the UK was my parents and they've passed now.

Here in Surfers there are two Woolies and one Coles all under 5 minutes walk and everything else I need is 5 minute's walk including something I'm pretty sure you don't have in the UK - seven days a week GPs which you can walk into without an appointment.

It's the same with the big shopping malls. There are two within easy public transport distance. One, like ASDA has a free courtesy bus service. I bought a jacket in Zara at Pacific Fair. Looked to me exactly the same as Zara in Southampton, ditto all the big home appliance chains which all sell the same stuff. Is buying a mobile phone, TV or PC different in the UK?

Did I mention the weather? I just went out on to the balcony where the sun is shining and 18d C and there are people sunbathing around the pool in the middle of winter.

2 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I have reassessed my post and realised that missing things like supermarkets, pubs, beer, curries (and Currys , does it still exist?) etc, are all symptoms of homesickness and I'm not homesick.

You are correct. What you said in response to my post about coles and woolies is something I would have said before I moved to Australia and within the first 3 or 4 years of living here. Those points are incredibly minor, I agree. There are much bigger issues with Australia imo and for me and my family the honeymoon period is well and truly over. The reality is though nowhere is perfect, both have pros and cons. For me and my family the pros of UK currently outweigh any of the pros Australia has to offer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Do you have Aussie citizenship @Richie2022?  You will probably never need to use it once you return to the UK but it's always useful to have    ...............................  just in case.

Yes I've been a citizen since I was a baby. My parents Migrated here late 80s. 

• Like 1