How Long before you realised that Australia was or was not the place that you wanted to spend the rest of your days ?

bug family

2 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Is there "correlation" there? Maybe Aussies from the "Land of the Walking Dead" ie "The Eastern States" think "We are not going to Perth. It's the most isolated city on Earth." Whilst "New Chums" are thinking,  "If we are going to the ends of the Earth we'd rather be 17 hours' flight from "Home" than 24 hours?!"

My original intention was to go to Queensland,  to Townsville of all places, and I've still not been there.  Then a good deal came up involving a flight from Gatwick to Singapore followed by a week's cruise to Freemantle for 320 quid instead of 370 to fly to Queensland. 

I liked Perth but I couldn't get a job and I decided to travel east, first to Adelaide and then to Sydney where I finally got a job nearly 3 months after I arrived in Oz.

Looking back,  I could have just stayed in Perth. A job would have come up eventually  but that's with hindsight. Now I'm back in Surfers Paradise wondering if this is where I'll settle.  I like it here. I liked Perth. I liked Sydney (though sometimes I think I "endured" it, never having experienced living in a big city before.)

Of course Australians move to Perth to live, the resources sector is full of them who've moved from other States. Parley has absolutely no idea about Perth.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/01/2022 at 13:47, Toots said:

Looking forward to any news you have about your return to the UK.  😃

Well at long last here's my update.........I have had my crucial interview, I wore my suit a tie and waist coat, I was really impressed it still fits me, I have had it for over twenty years and brought it with me to Australia because I remember thinking at the time you never know I may need it some day ...little did I realise at the time, that it would be for my ticket back home 🙂

It was around 35 degree's in an un-conditioned room and what with the heat, wearing the suit and the pressure of the questioning I was somewhat sweating......my clinical scenario was challenging and I realised that I had made a few minor errors.... therefore I have sat here for the last 24 hrs thinking that I may have blown it .........until.....I received an email a few hours ago stating that I had been successful and that I would now progress to the final stages !!!! 😀😝🤩

I now feel like I am at the begining of the end (if that makes sense) the next stages from my understanding are logistical and clerical....so not a pass or fail

I am ready to leave, I am sad to leave the children but also glad of a new chance in life and to finally go home....my wife has now met a new boyfriend and is happy and I am happy for her ❤️

I know i am not on the plane just yet.........but I am slowly on my way to the airport 🙂

Edited by bug family
  • Like 4
  • Congratulations 5

10 minutes ago, bug family said:

Well at long last here's my update.........I have had my crucial interview, I wore my suit a tie and waist coat, I was really impressed it still fits me, I have had it for over twenty years and brought it with me to Australia because I remember thinking at the time you never know I may need it some day ...little did I realise at the time, that it would be for my ticket back home 🙂

It was around 35 degree's in an un-conditioned room and what with the heat, wearing the suit and the pressure of the questioning I was somewhat sweating......my clinical scenario was challenging and I realised that I had made a few minor errors.... therefore I have sat here for the last 24 hrs thinking that I may have blown it .........until.....I received an email a few hours ago stating that I had been successful and that I would now progress to the final stages !!!! 😀😝🤩

I now feel like I am at the begining of the end (if that makes sense) the next stages from my understanding are logistical and clerical....so not a pass or fail

I am ready to leave, I am sad to leave the children but also glad of a new chance in life and to finally go home....my wife has now met a new boyfriend and is happy and I am happy for her ❤️

I know i am not on the plane just yet.........but I am slowly on my way to the airport 🙂

I'm very happy for you Mr Bug!  😀  👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/02/2022 at 07:02, Parley said:

It is weird how so many poms moved to Perth. I had no idea until I joined this forum. I still have no idea why it is other than people acting like lemmings and doing it because everyone else does.

Bit late now buy you may have enjoyed other cities like Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane much more.

Wonder if the regard it as equally weird just how many VIC, QLD and NSW number plates have turned up over recent times. House next to me has been sold twice over three years, both to VICs , although the most recent lot suddenly changed their plate to ACT after their car was absent over a few days. But my inner city suburb has forementioned plates everywhere. Probably not here for the scenery though. 

As for Brits, push pull factor. Not sure if some outer suburban locality in any of those cities mentioned would be an improvement on Perth though. Already migrants are buying in poorly serviced areas over here due to cost. Perth remains a little more affordable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, proud preston said:

@bug family What was the interview for? Great it was successful! I think many people will be thinking about the UK after this scary, relentless rain. Oh my god. It certainly is feast or famine in Australia. Keen to hear the next part of your journey.

If you believe in global warming, not that I do, then there's no point in going to the UK to escape the weather because it will be just as bad there. I'm sure I saw on the news extreme weather in the UK?

1 hour ago, MARYROSE02 said:

If you believe in global warming, not that I do, then there's no point in going to the UK to escape the weather because it will be just as bad there. I'm sure I saw on the news extreme weather in the UK?

Trust me i am not moving just for the weather maryrose02, although i do love the seasons back home and am not fond of this heat 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, proud preston said:

@bug family What was the interview for? Great it was successful! I think many people will be thinking about the UK after this scary, relentless rain. Oh my god. It certainly is feast or famine in Australia. Keen to hear the next part of your journey.

Thanks proud Preston, I had an interview with the NHS to go and work as a Paramedic, my plan is to work around the northwest region (Manchester area) and eventually save up a deposit to be able to (hopefully) buy a house back in north wales again at which point I will finally be home 😍

I certainly will keep you all updated ....I will bore you silly about my journey back home again trust me 😂

• Like 3
  • Congratulations 1

5 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

If you believe in Global Warming then the UK will be worse than OZ for heat!

So, you will need to convert your central heating and radiators to air con.

I spoke to a lady from Manchester the other night when I rang my tormentor de jour - HMRC- and asked her what the weather was like? Snow, sleet and rain.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bug family said:

sounds like my kind of weather 😂

I said to her, "The days are getting longer now,  the hedges are greening up, crocuses(?) are appearing.  I almost wish I was there to see it."

I think she replied, "Surfers Paradise still sounds nicer than Manchester."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I said to her, "The days are getting longer now,  the hedges are greening up, crocuses(?) are appearing.  I almost wish I was there to see it."

We are for the most part aware surely, just how much sound can be distorted across the miles....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

But the grass is always greener.... having lived in that paradise .... i will take the over size hedges and the crocuses any day......

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bug family said:

But the grass is always greener.... having lived in that paradise .... i will take the over size hedges and the crocuses any day......

This photo of crocuses was taken by a local photographer in my home town (Kirkcudbright) in Scotland.  😀

crocuses.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

This photo of crocuses was taken by a local photographer in my home town (Kirkcudbright) in Scotland.  😀

Beautiful, i could sit at one of them tables in the picture with a cup of tea and a sandwich and happily watch the world go by 🤗

• Like 3