How Long before you realised that Australia was or was not the place that you wanted to spend the rest of your days ?

bug family

I definately agree with you that life is not "one size fits all"

and yes, that is my opinion (that its not contest between Manchester and Melbourne)... 

but c'mon.... be serious now... out of a hundred people, you reckon its anywhere near a 50/50 split between the two??  

2 hours ago, SWMOY04 said:

and yes, that is my opinion (that its not contest between Manchester and Melbourne)... 

but c'mon.... be serious now... out of a hundred people, you reckon its anywhere near a 50/50 split between the two??  

It would depend on a the 100 people, the problem on here it always turns into Australia v Uk or vis versa 

with certain posters bashing the country they don’t like and must be taken as gospel no other opinion counts , as said we all have different likes and dislikes, it gets boring. 

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 4

On 22/05/2021 at 12:25, bug family said:

Because , i don't know, maybe it has changed possibly? if the poster has not visited in 10,20,30 years it will have changed ....will it not 

A different poster confirms what a lovely place it is and how investment has made it so

Indeed places change. Melbourne was regarded as something as a bit of a dump some thirty five years plus ago. Changes kicked off in the eighties that saw a gradual transformation of the city. I'd say not to dissimilar from Manchester at the time. Tough. Working class. Poor in a number of areas. Both Melbourne and Manchester have made considerable changes for the better over time. Which is better depends obviously on preference to a number of factors. I can only comment on Melbourne. I rather miss the old architecture. That really stood Melbourne aside from other Australian cities. I think the coffee culture thing is somewhat over done. Or over emphasized. A lot of Euro cities possess such a culture of longstanding. Many with cafes possessing more flair, history and originality. Many places have trams. Something I do enjoy in Melbourne. Anywhere with a focus on culture is rated high in my books. I have heard that Manchester has also improved considerably. Both have their roles to play and probably hard to compare against one another.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SWMOY04 said:

But it is not a competition SWMOYO4, I could not care less if 99 out of 100 people preferred Melbourne over Manchester, good for them its their choice.....I will represent the 1 percent that happen to prefer Manchester or some other city for that matter, its just my opinion it does not need to be graded or given a score.......

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, bug family said:

But it is not a competition SWMOYO4, I could not care less if 99 out of 100 people preferred Melbourne over Manchester, good for them its their choice.....I will represent the 1 percent that happen to prefer Manchester or some other city for that matter, its just my opinion it does not need to be graded or given a score.......

Nobody will know the percentage of people who prefer Melbourne to Manchester and like you say, it doesn’t matter.  Certainly it’s reasonable to say that scores of people have left Melbourne (and other places in Australia) to return to the UK, often to areas others would find less desirable.  There was someone on here not long ago excited to be returning to Middlesbrough. I’ve never been there but it regularly scores very high on the worst places to live here.  It just goes to show that we are all different.     For some, you could be in the most beautiful place on earth and if it’s not got what’s important to you then it’s not home. Sometimes you have to give up something to realise you had everything you wanted all along even if it has flaws.  Everyone likes different things, nothing wrong with that. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Nobody will know the percentage of people who prefer Melbourne to Manchester and like you say, it doesn’t matter.  Certainly it’s reasonable to say that scores of people have left Melbourne (and other places in Australia) to return to the UK, often to areas others would find less desirable.  There was someone on here not long ago excited to be returning to Middlesbrough. I’ve never been there but it regularly scores very high on the worst places to live here.  It just goes to show that we are all different.     For some, you could be in the most beautiful place on earth and if it’s not got what’s important to you then it’s not home. Sometimes you have to give up something to realise you had everything you wanted all along even if it has flaws.  Everyone likes different things, nothing wrong with that. 

Middlesbrough in May is probably/possibly beautiful but I'm not sure if I would like to winter there. Actually,  I was born in South Shields though raised in the "Deep South", but I would not mind going back there for a few weeks.

No preference regarding Melbourne or Manchester but again would prefer summer to winter in either. 

Here's an interesting "what if?" Imagine you are DESPERATE to return to your "home" and you are granted your wish, BUT, you cannot go back to your hometown; it has to be, in my case, South Shields not Southampton. Would it still be home or another alien place. 

You can play the game imagining you are homesick Aussie in UK as well.

On 17/05/2021 at 18:21, Blue Flu said:

I know many that have done just that or moved elsewhere in order to secure a better more affordable retirement. I mean who wouldn't. Great affordable medical care. Able to eat out every night if so desired. Warm weather. Thing with Thailand is though they have changed the visa conditions. Look very well into that as doing visa trips every few months would get very tiresome. 

I have looked three times at Malta over the past nine years but while like the island have concluded against that. Thailand probably wouldn't be in my top six , but understand the attraction (minus visa issues) Very interested in Sarawak after a long visit there three years ago and still thing Penang a goer. (Langkawi could be combined) I had a thing for Laos a few years back after meeting a few Brit's and Aussies and French that had settled there. Cambodia was a consideration as well....some say Vietnam. Don't know enough about it. Sri Lanka looks good. I wouldn't have any interest in Bali but know some who settled there very happily. Philippines is another but never been. 

I think UK for retirement the way things have gone, would be suggestive that without a lot of money  there are plenty of better, far better places elsewhere. Still NHS and free bus passes are attractive but doesn't quite win out over the other countries mentioned. 

I have looked extensively, my other half is Thai!

• Haha 1

On 17/05/2021 at 18:21, Blue Flu said:

. Thing with Thailand is though they have changed the visa conditions. Look very well into that as doing visa trips every few months would get very tiresome. 

Is that a change, though?  My most memorable train trip was the overnighter from Bangkok to Penang, full of expats on their visa renewal trip - which they had to do every 3 months,  And that was in 1995.  

A lot of westernerers retire to the Philippines. Usually it is single men in their 60s who get a 25 year old girlfriend over there.

It is sad. There is a lot of poverty in these countries so young women will willingly date older western men. Even  a fairly poor person by our standards i wealthy over there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skani said:

Is that a change, though?  My most memorable train trip was the overnighter from Bangkok to Penang, full of expats on their visa renewal trip - which they had to do every 3 months,  And that was in 1995.  

Yes there have been changes. Former visa was readily abused with declarations of income in a bank account. I believe other aspects as well, but haven't gone into to in any depth. I seem to recall some retired expats considering the move to Cambodia. (as Thailand getting too hard They have perhaps the easiest visa system to remain in the world. 

Yes visa extension travel was very popular, possibly still is, for many decades. My understanding was that has been tightened up but again not been into the matter in any depth. But you are right. The Penang train (done it a few times) had its fair share of border hoppers. Many in Georgetown itself.(did they smuggle cheap Thai rice  on your travel? On the border would uncover sacks of rice and throw it out of windows to be collected by relatives (Thai rice cheaper) I think many of those doing the renewal every three months done so to get around bank statement requirements of something like several hundred thousand Baht in an account. There have been one year retirement visa's on offer since I remember.

Edited by Blue Flu

49 minutes ago, Parley said:

A lot of westernerers retire to the Philippines. Usually it is single men in their 60s who get a 25 year old girlfriend over there.

It is sad. There is a lot of poverty in these countries so young women will willingly date older western men. Even  a fairly poor person by our standards i wealthy over there.

Nothing wrong with that. But never the less a common enough complaint from some outsiders. Not just The Philippines, but Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. I imagine Vietnam no different. But win/win usually on both sides. The woman gains often some financial security and man has a companion in the age. I've met both some disasters as well as some very loving couples . No different  from what posses as the 'norm' in western countries. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Graham Fletcher said:

I have looked extensively, my other half is Thai!

Probably best Thailand then. Saying that know a Welsh bloke that married a Thai, after a few years they moved to Laos (language similar) started a business and loving it better there. 

On 25/05/2021 at 10:53, bug family said:

Made me chuckle...

I wasn't implying it was a competition.

But I get you 

Melbourne vs Liverpool... For me, it's Liverpool all the way. 

Melbourne vs London... Melbourne

Melbourne vs any "small" city for me, Melbourne will always lose. 

(I can't define "small"... But Liverpool is probably the "biggest" city I can tolerate) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/05/2021 at 14:18, Blue Flu said:

Probably best Thailand then. Saying that know a Welsh bloke that married a Thai, after a few years they moved to Laos (language similar) started a business and loving it better there. 

Yes, I'm a bit stuck! hahaha

I have a house and restaurant waiting for me so I think my choices are limited

• 2 months later...
On 16/11/2020 at 20:52, Pendragon said:

We moved to Perth in 2007 from the rual West Country. It was all about our then 17 yo having an opportunity where little existed. Plan was to settle him into Australian life, gain our citizenship and return home. Of course plans change. He found a lady and started a family of his own.

Whilst I love my family I am not so keen on life in Australia. I have not settled in at all, only making acquaintances and no real friends. Finding I have little in common with those I meet, so now I don't bother. I use to be enjoy a good social life, whereas in Australia I have done. Once this Covid mess is over I am contemplating leaving my family and returning to the UK. Feel like these past 13+ years have been wasted. As I move into retirement I don't want to spend it wishing.

I feel just like this now. Moved from Bath to melbourne. I’ve been here 14 years now, kids grown up, divorced after 20 years living on my own in Gippsland. 10 years from retirement. I’m yearning to go back to Wells, Bath or anywhere in that location. I’ve never felt so alone. Biggest mistake ever coming to Australia. 

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, Peety said:

I feel just like this now. Moved from Bath to melbourne. I’ve been here 14 years now, kids grown up, divorced after 20 years living on my own in Gippsland. 10 years from retirement. I’m yearning to go back to Wells, Bath or anywhere in that location. I’ve never felt so alone. Biggest mistake ever coming to Australia. 

@Peety,If you feel that strongly, don't delay.   Start doing your research now.   Don't think "I'll move back when I retire",  because you may find you can't afford it then.

The difficulty is that if you leave Australia before you're eligible to claim the Australian government pension, you will never be able to claim it.   So you either have to leave now and start building up your entitlement to the UK pension, or you'll be stuck in Australia until you're entitlement age--which the way things are going, could well be 70 years old. 

I would suggest finding out about paying NI contributions now, and maybe backpaying some missing years as well.

Also make sure you understand what the deal is with superannuation.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Peety said:

Sorry to hear this Peety, please know that you are not alone, 

you should not regret your choice to come to Australia, as at the time it was exactly what you wanted and you cannot predict the future, don't be to hard on yourself

Marisawright (above) is right (as usual 😜) in that you need to start making your move now and start working through each stage bit by bit (if you look at the whole picture it seems to daunting) but just like you made the move all them years ago, you can also make the move back, look at it as another adventure in life and new beginings 🙂

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Peety said:

So why haven’t you moved out of Victoria?  If I was still there I’d have committed seppuku a long time ago. 

On 25/05/2021 at 13:12, MARYROSE02 said:

Middlesbrough in May is probably/possibly beautiful but I'm not sure if I would like to winter there. Actually,  I was born in South Shields though raised in the "Deep South", but I would not mind going back there for a few weeks.

No preference regarding Melbourne or Manchester but again would prefer summer to winter in either. 

Here's an interesting "what if?" Imagine you are DESPERATE to return to your "home" and you are granted your wish, BUT, you cannot go back to your hometown; it has to be, in my case, South Shields not Southampton. Would it still be home or another alien place. 

You can play the game imagining you are homesick Aussie in UK as well.

Well, if I wanted to work and not retire then Canberra would be my most likely destination. From bulya's reply I think I would love it. As long as there is some flat walking, which I think there is, my wife would love it too. Mountain biking and skiing would be fantastic. Plus it's fairly close to the other states to visit on short holidays. Not close to my family in Perth, but I'm sure we could pop over to visit.

2 hours ago, newjez said:

Well, if I wanted to work and not retire then Canberra would be my most likely destination. From bulya's reply I think I would love it. As long as there is some flat walking, which I think there is, my wife would love it too. Mountain biking and skiing would be fantastic. Plus it's fairly close to the other states to visit on short holidays. Not close to my family in Perth, but I'm sure we could pop over to visit.

Lots of walking.  2009 UCI Mountain Bike World Championships we’re held here and multiple Australian championships.  Expensive real estate and the highest rental prices in the country though.  

On 31/07/2021 at 18:48, Bulya said:

So why haven’t you moved out of Victoria?  If I was still there I’d have committed seppuku a long time ago. 

My son is in Victoria but one in Sydney. Not sure what you mean “ seppuku”. 

On 31/07/2021 at 16:10, Marisawright said:

@Peety,If you feel that strongly, don't delay.   Start doing your research now.   Don't think "I'll move back when I retire",  because you may find you can't afford it then.

The difficulty is that if you leave Australia before you're eligible to claim the Australian government pension, you will never be able to claim it.   So you either have to leave now and start building up your entitlement to the UK pension, or you'll be stuck in Australia until you're entitlement age--which the way things are going, could well be 70 years old. 

I would suggest finding out about paying NI contributions now, and maybe backpaying some missing years as well.

Also make sure you understand what the deal is with superannuation.  

Thanks x we’ve got super tied up in property. Nothing too exciting just a two bedroom flat in Melbourne. I’ve got maybe $50k of super in the UK other than that nothing so financially I’m stuffed. My ex told me not to get lawyers involved in our divorce but I’ve definitely been disadvantaged. I’m so ashamed and embarrassed tbh to be in this situation. I’m 50 with maybe $200k that I could get if I sold my crappy house. I’ve worked full time for the last 30 years as a nurse it all seems for nothing. Definitely not enough to buy a think in the uk. 

I guess I just need to look forward to the next chapter in my whatever the hell that would be.

9 minutes ago, Peety said:

Thanks x we’ve got super tied up in property. Nothing too exciting just a two bedroom flat in Melbourne. I’ve got maybe $50k of super in the UK other than that nothing so financially I’m stuffed. My ex told me not to get lawyers involved in our divorce but I’ve definitely been disadvantaged. I’m so ashamed and embarrassed tbh to be in this situation. I’m 50 with maybe $200k that I could get if I sold my crappy house. I’ve worked full time for the last 30 years as a nurse it all seems for nothing. Definitely not enough to buy a think in the uk. 

I guess I just need to look forward to the next chapter in my whatever the hell that would be.

I’m sorry to read this. Doesn’t help that you come from such a beautiful place in the UK. Did you work for the NHS there? They have quite a decent defined benefits pension. Are you staying in Aus because of kids? I don’t want to leave my grown up kids - and my husband loves it here but all I can think of is retiring in the UK.