How Long before you realised that Australia was or was not the place that you wanted to spend the rest of your days ?

bug family

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

Do you feel the same about places you visit in the UK? If not why not?

For the life of me I can't think of any place as nice as Hillary's within driving distance of Manchester.

Most likely because things are not so far away. No idea about Manchester , but believe the centre is very cosmopolitan and buzzy with lots of places to go. Driving to Hillary's is a bit of a chore. Never found a decent vibe and/or places full and food very ordinary. I never understood the attraction of that place beyond the occasional visit. But a lot of English accents on every visit so apparently missing something. 

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Major problem with Joondalup is it's full of people from the UK at night, who like the same things they did in the UK, football, getting pissed and causing trouble.

My eldest who's thirty now went there in his 20's for a change a couple of times. He couldn't understand the vibe. He said it's full of poms wanting a fight, mostly about football.

To be fair, the only issue like that I recall is a fight that happened after an England WC game in either 2010 or 2014.

I couldn't stand Joondalup but it wasn't for the reasons you've stated.

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Do you feel the same about places you visit in the UK? If not why not?

For the life of me I can't think of any place as nice as Hillary's within driving distance of Manchester.

Have you seen Manchester lately? There is absolutely no comparison, way more choice in Manchester, Hillary's is a bit naff in my opinion, it has tried and failed, as for within  driving distance of Manchester, errrmmm Chester, Liverpool, lake district northwales haw far do you want to travel ....🤪

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Major problem with Joondalup is it's full of people from the UK at night, who like the same things they did in the UK, football, getting pissed and causing trouble.

My eldest who's thirty now went there in his 20's for a change a couple of times. He couldn't understand the vibe. He said it's full of poms wanting a fight, mostly about football.

After hours watching boring girlie ball  guys pribxbky be drunk too…

9 hours ago, bug family said:

Have you seen Manchester lately? There is absolutely no comparison, way more choice in Manchester, Hillary's is a bit naff in my opinion, it has tried and failed, as for within  driving distance of Manchester, errrmmm Chester, Liverpool, lake district northwales haw far do you want to travel ....🤪

I suppose there's Salford Quays and a swim in the canal.

Why would you go to Chester or Liverpool? They are just another City with the same shops as Manchester. Lake District is OK if you like rain and walking, North Wales can be OK but if it's a nice day, sunny like, there'll be 10,000 people who thought "lets have a ride to North Wales". So if you ever manage to get there and not be stuck in traffic you end up driving round for somewhere to park.

We used to live on the edge of the Pennines, heading towards Glossop. We stopped trying to go out on bank holidays if the weather was good. 

Don't get me wrong, for England I quite liked where we lived but life was game of squash at a good squash club where I was a member and popping over the road to the same local boozer most nights, same people, same game of darts or dominoes. Did I ever say " been there done that" no, because that's life in the UK.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Maybe, but ONLY the top (fashionable, popular) performers go to Perth.  It's not economical for most musicians, dance companies, shows to go to Perth because the cost of transporting their scenery, instruments etc is too high. 

So you're saying that if you're a keen fan of music, the arts, or sport, you should just spend several hundred dollars a month to fly back and forth to the Eastern States to see concerts and games and "that's not too onerous".   Air fares from Perth are some of the most expensive in the country, and the flight is long, so you'll need to pay for a night's hotel stay every time, too.  I'm glad you're so rich and have so much spare time that you can afford to do that several times a year!  

Why would anyone do that if they had the choice to move to where their interests are, instead?  They'd be a fool not to.

I'm not going to list the top bands I've seen in Perth as it would be a long list. There's not many that skip Perth and the cost of getting into Perth and back on public transport is covered in the ticket price.

I've never had to fly to the Eastern States and wouldn't, too expensive. Can't think of anyone that just did an Eastern states tour.

We have a lot of local musicians and bands that are very good and a lot of decent live music venues to see them. Several outdoor concerts too. There's been a few since covid.

Dance, ballet, plays I'm not bothered about.

15 hours ago, Bulya said:

Speed boats, not tow boats.  And I’m talking lube, not on TV.  Perth is isolated, there’s simply no getting around it.  

Yep, there's plenty of them for waterskiing too if that's your scene. Whole section of the river is reserved for them. 

I suppose you meant live, not lube, unless you like it round Sydney Mardi Gras time.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Why would you go to Chester or Liverpool? They are just another City with the same shops as Manchester. Lake District is OK if you like rain and walking, North Wales can be OK but if it's a nice day, sunny like, there'll be 10,000 people who thought "lets have a ride to North Wales". So if you ever manage to get there and not be stuck in traffic you end up driving round for somewhere to park.

We used to live on the edge of the Pennines, heading towards Glossop. We stopped trying to go out on bank holidays if the weather was good. 

Don't get me wrong, for England I quite liked where we lived but life was game of squash at a good squash club where I was a member and popping over the road to the same local boozer most nights, same people, same game of darts or dominoes. Did I ever say " been there done that" no, because that's life in the UK.

We didn't have children when we lived near Liverpool so most weekends we took off in the car to explore the north of England.  Beautiful countryside.  Tended to avoid Chester, the Lake District and York during tourist season.  I hate crowds.  Really like Newcastle but Manchester not so much.  I lived in the Lake District for 3 years in my teens so know it very well.  Love it.  Always enjoyed the night life around Liverpool  - some very good pubs there too.  OH has a large bunch of relatives in the Liverpool area so there was never a dull moment.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, s713 said:

To be fair, the only issue like that I recall is a fight that happened after an England WC game in either 2010 or 2014.

I couldn't stand Joondalup but it wasn't for the reasons you've stated.

I went with a couple of friends from our squash team. Walked in the first pub at 8:00 and the bouncers were marching a guy with a Liverpudlian accent out, I made the mistake of laughing and him and his mates came and stood near the window where we were saying "I'm having you when you come out". Thought that was funny too, hadn't heard it for years.

We walked towards them when we left, to see what would happen, luckily nothing, they walked off. Rest of the night was fine.

We did go in the Old Bailey and my mate commented on feeling like he was back in Manchester, he was from there too.

7 minutes ago, Toots said:

We didn't have children when we lived near Liverpool so most weekends we took off in the car to explore the north of England.  Beautiful countryside.  Tended to avoid Chester, the Lake District and York during tourist season.  I hate crowds.  Really like Newcastle but Manchester not so much.  I lived in the Lake District for 3 years in my teens so know it very well.  Love it.  Always enjoyed the night life around Liverpool  - some very good pubs there too.  OH has a large bunch of relatives in the Liverpool area so there was never a dull moment.  

When I was at Uni in Birmingham I was in the squash team and we used to arrange as many games as we could in Liverpool as it was a good night out. No so much in Brum. Used to try and play away games.

It was always about pubs and nightlife though. Not much else.

15 minutes ago, Toots said:

Yeh, we don't like crowds either and finding, paying for parking is enough to put you off going anywhere. Maybe that's why we've settled so well where we live.

6 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Yeh, we don't like crowds either and finding, paying for parking is enough to put you off going anywhere. Maybe that's why we've settled so well where we live.

I am not a large town/city person but 2 places we used to really enjoy staying at and looking around were Richmond in North Yorkshire and Barnard Castle in County Durham.  ♥️

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

I am not a large town/city person but 2 places we used to really enjoy staying at and looking around were Richmond in North Yorkshire and Barnard Castle in County Durham.  ♥️

We liked the South Coast, around Bournemouth. I reckon we would have moved down if we had stayed. Would have been difficult though with the difference in house price.

My wifes Sister lives in Tolpuddle which is nice for a visit. Too far away from the Coast still though and there's about one bus a day to Dorchester. 

28 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

We liked the South Coast, around Bournemouth. I reckon we would have moved down if we had stayed. Would have been difficult though with the difference in house price.

My wifes Sister lives in Tolpuddle which is nice for a visit. Too far away from the Coast still though and there's about one bus a day to Dorchester. 

Mum had a cousin who used to live in Bibury in the Cotswolds.  Very pretty to visit though our visits were spoiled a bit as Mum's cousin was a very snobby woman.  Far worse  even than Hyacinth Bouquet.  😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I don't like doing the comparison thing Paul because as I have said everyone is different, but your comparing a small beachy, marina area with a handle of restaurant and cafes and a few overpriced shops, a dot on the western coast of Australia to entire cities....Hillary's is miniscule in comparison.

why would I go to Chester or Liverpool ? what apart from the history, castle and Roman walls, river dee, bridges, canals, centuries old 'rows', cinemas, library, cathedral, uncountable pubs, restaurants, street bands and entertainment, night life and clubs, shops, parks, football grounds, business parks, out of town shopping centres, bowling, arcade and entertainment venues, university, top schools, industry such as Airbus UK, the list goes on and on and don't get me started on Liverpool or Manchester who apart from being home to world famous musicians and football clubs have an even vaster array of choice....hillary's really? are you having a laugh  😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bug family said:

I don't like doing the comparison thing Paul because as I have said everyone is different, but your comparing a small beachy, marina area with a handle of restaurant and cafes and a few overpriced shops, a dot on the western coast of Australia to entire cities....Hillary's is miniscule in comparison.

why would I go to Chester or Liverpool ? what apart from the history, castle and Roman walls, river dee, bridges, canals, centuries old 'rows', cinemas, library, cathedral, uncountable pubs, restaurants, street bands and entertainment, night life and clubs, shops, parks, football grounds, business parks, out of town shopping centres, bowling, arcade and entertainment venues, university, top schools, industry such as Airbus UK, the list goes on and on and don't get me started on Liverpool or Manchester who apart from being home to world famous musicians and football clubs have an even vaster array of choice....hillary's really? are you having a laugh  😂

I was actually comparing Salford Quays with Hillary's. 

Perth has everything else you mention, maybe not Roman Walls or centuries old buildings but TBH I have more interest in doing stuff than looking at stuff.

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

life was game of squash at a good squash club where I was a member and popping over the road to the same local boozer most nights, same people, same game of darts or dominoes. Did I ever say " been there done that" no, because that's life in the UK

Sounds like you have swapped countries but kept the same life, to be honest

3 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

I was actually comparing Salford Quays with Hillary's. 

Perth has everything else you mention, maybe not Roman Walls or centuries old buildings but TBH I have more interest in doing stuff than looking at stuff.

Well you did ask why go to Chester or Liverpool...anyhow moving on 😬

In my book looking at 'stuff' IS ''doing stuff'

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bug family said:

Sounds like you have swapped countries but kept the same life, to be honest

Well you did ask why go to Chester or Liverpool...anyhow moving on 😬

In my book looking at 'stuff' IS ''doing stuff'

No, my life here is nothing like It would have been in the UK. Especially during covid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I'm not going to list the top bands I've seen in Perth as it would be a long list. There's not many that skip Perth and the cost of getting into Perth and back on public transport is covered in the ticket price.

I've never had to fly to the Eastern States and wouldn't, too expensive. Can't think of anyone that just did an Eastern states tour.

We have a lot of local musicians and bands that are very good and a lot of decent live music venues to see them. Several outdoor concerts too. There's been a few since covid.

Several years ago I saw the band UB40 at Clancy's Fish Pub just out of Dunsborough, in SW WA.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

If we’re just talking Manchester City Centre, there are multiple museums, multiple galleries, multiple theatres, multiple libraries (inc. Gothic), football tours, a cultural quarter, Cathedral, Salford Quays, Albert Square, multiple gardens, a myriad of pubs, breweries, cafes and restaurants (casual to Michelin star). If you want to drive for half an hour, you can do the Peak District National Park, the Yorkshire Dales National Park, the countryside Cheshire and South Manchester offers, Chester, Liverpool, Derbyshire. The list goes on.

But, you’re right, there’s no man-made beach with novelty shops. Sorry about that.

• Like 2

On 17/05/2021 at 11:30, Blue Flu said:

Isolation comes not only in the geographic sense but the mental sense as well. While Perth and WA are certainly remote from elsewhere that is only one aspect to consider. With flights that isolation can be conquered in a matter of hours. It's more than that. It's the insularity that plagues this state. For example working in a specific field everybody more or less knowns everybody else. Or at least know of them. Crossing the wrong person like a CEO can spell end of career . Word gets out in such a small place. I find often see people know/knew at various popular localities. There just isn't enough places to escape recognition to go. I find that claustrophobic to an extent. 

We lack the vibe of Sydney. Just as Sydney doesn't have the vibe of London or another Alpha City. Obviously this matters not to a lot of people. Perth can of course be a perfectly delightful city to those preferring a slow paced , clean sort of place, even though a dark side exists in its underbelly. It is reasonably well hidden and I know can come as a shock to those impacted by that at some stage. Here I mean the scourge of drugs which is everywhere and increasingly an occupation of choice. (making or cooking) There must be a reason Perth was the capital of meth (ice) consumption in the world on a population basis. Adelaide has stolen that title (how dare they) but believe me it is everywhere and my area and street reflect this. 

As commented by others, you do possess rather 'a knack' apparently in finding contentment where you wash up . Okay, like me apart from deep, dark suburbia. We share some similarities as I always have attempted to live in inner city localities regardless of country with a buzz and vibe and no need for a car with convenience at hand . Preferably not family  over representation but definitely not student either. It has generally worked, although Perth not ideal, even inner city  for fans of cosmopolitan living it is doable. (well minus the drug making)

There are not that many places to go weekends in WA. The South after being covered and lived in does get a tad the same. I like Albany but really how many times can one endure it? I try and leave it for a few years apart. Not a fan of Mandurah by any means. Far too much social issues around drugs. Bunbury as well. (know that city rather well )All those blink and you miss them country towns you mention are good as a stopover for a meal or coffee but really to stay? Northam? Not a place to linger. Quite bogan and poorly located for dreadful heat in summer. York? Nice for a day trip. but probably once every three to five years. 

There is far more on the East Coast. WA has its own appeal but does come with limitations on so many fronts. 

"Such a small place?" Remind me of the population and area of Perth? Two million? My home town, Southampton, has over 200, 000 and I lived in a village 8 miles away.  It must be horrible to live in regional cities like Newcastle,  Wollongong,  Geelong,  Wagga,  Albury, Toowoomba,  Townsville,  even state capitals like Hobart and Canberra.

Some people crave going to new places every weekend whilst others are happy in their own suburb. I like to become a local in 3 or 4 pubs rather than go to loads but never get to know anybody.  In two months back in Sydney,  I've rarely left Surry Hills. In 8 months in Surfers it was the same. The suburb becomes the village without the greenfield surrounding it. I went to Brisbane once. Nothing wrong with it. I just could not be bothered.  I spent most weekends in my 12 years back in England out in the New Forest going to the same villages and towns on my bike.

So, for me Perth is ok. I loved it when I arrived in 1978 but ended up in Sydney which is home but it's just where I found my first job.  Had I got one in Perth or Adelaide it would have been there. 

8 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Exactly. Which is why Perth suits you but not me. And why you’d probably hate living in Melbourne. Just as well we all have different tastes or we’d all be trying to squash into the same places 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s713 said:

If we’re just talking Manchester City Centre, there are multiple museums, multiple galleries, multiple theatres, multiple libraries (inc. Gothic), football tours, a cultural quarter, Cathedral, Salford Quays, Albert Square, multiple gardens, a myriad of pubs, breweries, cafes and restaurants (casual to Michelin star). If you want to drive for half an hour, you can do the Peak District National Park, the Yorkshire Dales National Park, the countryside Cheshire and South Manchester offers, Chester, Liverpool, Derbyshire. The list goes on.

But, you’re right, there’s no man-made beach with novelty shops. Sorry about that.

And yet in Manchester there were 375 stabbings during 2020 and who could forget the 2017 bombing in Manchester which killed 23 innocent people, perpetrated by a Manchester local, of Libyan descent. Remember 2000, and Manchester missing out as the Olympic City for the 2000 Olympic Games, still officially as the greatest games ever.  Manchester is a dangerous city. 

What is it with the UK?  Can anyone be a Brit? Apparently so, and that is why they come here in droves to escape the "anyone who can be a Brit".  But not anyone can be an Australian.  It works for the Brits.

I have been to Manchester and I have also been to Hillary's in Perth. At least I am not going to be stabbed or blown up at Hillary's and I can live my life.  

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Several years ago I saw the band UB40 at Clancy's Fish Pub just out of Dunsborough, in SW WA.

Clancys Fish Pub. That's the name of the other pub in Applecross.  I was trying to think of it. I did 2 weeks at an Airbnb there and went to Raffles every night, occasionally to Clancys.  It's a great way to get to know a burbs spending a week or so there.  I did a week in Northbridge in apartment near WA Police HQ, and  week revisiting South Perth and the Windsor hotel. South Perth has the magnificent view over the Swan to the city.

• Like 1