Red Rose

Free school meals

On 25/10/2020 at 12:40, BacktoDemocracy said:

Supplemented by the so-called Speenhamland system of providing allowances to workers who received wages below what was considered a subsistence level. The resulting increase in expenditures on public relief was so great that a new Poor Law was enacted in 1834, based on a harsher philosophy that regarded pauperism among able-bodied workers as a moral failing. The new law provided no relief for the able-bodied poor except employment in the workhouse, with the object of stimulating workers to seek regular employment rather than charity. The growth of humanitarian feeling in the 19th century helped to mitigate the harshness of the law in practice, and the phenomenon of industrial unemployment in the 20th century showed that poverty was more than a moral problem

We have had these kind of laws in the UK based around the deserving and non deserving poor for over 400 years, I suppose its difficult to shake off that amount of conditioning

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

Sometimes the more you are helped the more you expect to be helped. Where does personal responsibility kick in and entitlement stop ? Obviously there are many who really do need to be helped but equally there are many who just need a bit of a shove to look after their own affairs and get out of the dependence cycle ( which is actually a form of abuse )

• Like 1

On 27/10/2020 at 21:29, newjez said:

This one gets dug out all the time doesn't it. Rich people aren't allowed to encourage charity. Actually, that's rich celebrity aren't allowed to encourage charity. Obviously because they are rich. How dare they? Surely they should just give their own money. Although, that's difficult too, as Elton John discovered on this very own forum, if a rich celebrity donates to charity they are only doing it for their own selfish gain.

Just because Beckham is a turd doesn't mean Marcus is.

I really despair sometimes. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11878415/marcus-rashford-charity-list-man-utd-stars-generous-acts/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwi588vlxtTsAhVITRUIHQspClMQFjAMegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2-TXdDYYWSaCMNkYdE1h8Z&ampcf=1

Don't forget Wogan 30,000 honorarium each year for presenting Children in Need...  Or sending celebrities to orphanages in Africa to discover themselves for Comic Relief.   Yeah, I'm bitter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peach said:

Don't forget Wogan 30,000 honorarium each year for presenting Children in Need...  Or sending celebrities to orphanages in Africa to discover themselves for Comic Relief.   Yeah, I'm bitter.

Would you rather none of that happen and no money is raised then? 

• Thanks 1

No child dies of hunger in the UK, many children die of hunger in many parts of the world.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

17 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Would you rather none of that happen and no money is raised then? 

Of course not. 

On 24/10/2020 at 05:40, Parley said:

I have nothing against safety nets for the very poor, and that is what i said there should be.

When I was at primary school in England in the seventies we all got free lunch and milk, regardless of who you are.

It doesn't happen in Australia.

I remember the frer milk and a lot of kids at school getting free dinners. I think we used to pay 5 shillings for a decent dinner, cooked by nice ladies in the school well equiped kitchen. 

Went up to 7shillings and sixpence for the week while I was at school. 

I only remember really good meals and puddings too. Some kids who had the free meals had meal tickets. I know some kids sold them, went without a dinner and bought smokes.

Never heard of free school meals during holidays though? You would think most parents would have something organised for their kids.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Peach said:

Don't worry. Sir Lenny has vowed to stop these "white saviours" to Africa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I remember the frer milk and a lot of kids at school getting free dinners. I think we used to pay 5 shillings for a decent dinner, cooked by nice ladies in the school well equiped kitchen. 

Went up to 7shillings and sixpence for the week while I was at school. 

I only remember really good meals and puddings too. Some kids who had the free meals had meal tickets. I know some kids sold them, went without a dinner and bought smokes.

Never heard of free school meals during holidays though? You would think most parents would have something organised for their kids.

I remember some kids had tickets for free dinners. I believe they stopped the tickets many years ago to take away the stigma of it. The free dinner kids just lined up with the rest so no one knew. I’ve no idea how it was policed though. As kids we weren’t entitled to free dinners but my parents couldn’t afford us to have them everyday. We took a packed lunch to school each day (which from memory was nearly always paste sandwiches and a Milky Way) but mum gave us all money for a school dinner every Friday as a treat. Friday was the best day as it was the pizza/chips and general crap food day, lovely. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Perthbum said:

No child dies of hunger in the UK, many children die of hunger in many parts of the world.

Welcome back Perthbum. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Welcome back, things run there natural course 

17 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Captain strawman!

Where have you been?

Long time no see.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

22 hours ago, Perthbum said:

A person doesn’t need to die of a thing to suffer terribly from that thing.  

• Like 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

7 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I remember some kids had tickets for free dinners. I believe they stopped the tickets many years ago to take away the stigma of it. The free dinner kids just lined up with the rest so no one knew. I’ve no idea how it was policed though. As kids we weren’t entitled to free dinners but my parents couldn’t afford us to have them everyday. We took a packed lunch to school each day (which from memory was nearly always paste sandwiches and a Milky Way) but mum gave us all money for a school dinner every Friday as a treat. Friday was the best day as it was the pizza/chips and general crap food day, lovely. 

thanks tulip

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

On 24/10/2020 at 03:27, Skani said:

Not in Australia.  Parents pack lunch for their children to take to school.  I know that some European countries provide school meals but I don't know how "free" they are.

Nothing official in place but plenty of schools feed kids for free particularly in regional areas they provide breakfast, lunch and dinner for free. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandgroper said:

Nothing official in place but plenty of schools feed kids for free particularly in regional areas they provide breakfast, lunch and dinner for free. 

And the government make out there is no problem meantime.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 30/10/2020 at 19:01, starlight7 said:

Sometimes the more you are helped the more you expect to be helped. Where does personal responsibility kick in and entitlement stop ? Obviously there are many who really do need to be helped but equally there are many who just need a bit of a shove to look after their own affairs and get out of the dependence cycle ( which is actually a form of abuse )

But 2020 is unprecedented times, people have been laid off and unable to get other work, having to claim benefits possibly for the first time - not everyone is out to use the system, many are horrified that they are now forced to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

10 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

In some aborigine communities they pick the kids up from the house, give them breakfast, lunch and dinner and a ride home. Only way to get them to attend.

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

In some aborigine communities they pick the kids up from the house, give them breakfast, lunch and dinner and a ride home. Only way to get them to attend.

Which is great for those kids and for the parents as well. We were in Tennant Creek NT a few years ago where the school attendances were just nudging 52% participation, so back then at least there was still a problem.   

5 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Which is great for those kids and for the parents as well. We were in Tennant Creek NT a few years ago where the school attendances were just nudging 52% participation, so back then at least there was still a problem.   

And ìn post industrial Britain in the 1800s illiteracy was almost universal until it was realised that literacy was required to expand output but girls were barely educated, if education is not seen as beneficial why participate?

15 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

And ìn post industrial Britain in the 1800s illiteracy was almost universal until it was realised that literacy was required to expand output but girls were barely educated, if education is not seen as beneficial why participate?

And in many circumstances today girls often out shine the boys in the HSC and at a similar level in the UK. 

I have switched charities recently.  Nobody likes to talk about their benevolence, including me. I am certain that there are many posters on PIO who do something similar.  Yet, my main international charity had been Oxfam until Oxfam notified me that they were about to enter into what I saw as purely a political venture and quite obviously a departure from their original mission. I dumped them in a heartbeat, or at least, in the time it took to exclude them from access to my bank account.  

Lately, I have discovered Foodbank which seems to me to be a very worthy charity. Foodbank is also supported by the NSW Government, and by the larger grocery institutions such as Coles Woolworths etc and is aimed at providing meals to the needy and also they run a program to counter hunger in children.    Foodbank’s School Breakfast 4 Health program now serves over 137,000 meals each week to kids who would otherwise go without. But with more children going hungry than ever before.  Sorry Oxfam, but I now support non-aligned, non-political benevolence at home.

https://www.foodbank.org.au/children-are-going-hungry/?state=nsw-act

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

It's not changed.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

They know it's beneficial but they can't be arsed.