simmo

How is Joe Biden doing?

The pols suggest that he could be the next POTUS.

Some folk say he's a bit "creepy" and he has a crocked past. What do we think?

About the same as Donald-wouldn't fancy either of 'em personally. There may be a Civil war there, it is very unsettled. Makes you glad we don't have guns around here and in the UK when you watch people arming their 13 year olds and training them in weapons handling.  Gruesome. They are a race apart that lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

when you watch people arming their 13 year olds and training them in weapons handling.  Gruesome. They are a race apart that lot.

A friend's daughter now lives in Minnesota with her American husband.  When their first son was born husband bought him a gun    - as a christening present  😬.    And not a toy gun - the real thing to use when he's big enough to hold it.  🙄 

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Skani said:

A friend's daughter now lives in Minnesota with her American husband.  When their first son was born husband bought him a gun    - as a christening present  😬.    And not a toy gun - the real thing to use when he's big enough to hold it.  🙄 

and shoot one of the other kids. Sadly it happens,

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

35 minutes ago, simmo said:

As Obama said, can you imagine what the Murdoch press would have reported if a democratic candidate had paid 170k in taxes to China -- as opposed to the silence about Trump doing exactly that....

4 hours ago, Peach said:

As Obama said, can you imagine what the Murdoch press would have reported if a democratic candidate had paid 170k in taxes to China -- as opposed to the silence about Trump doing exactly that....

Iam sure the multitude of left wing media will be all over it .

The biden story is much more sinister 

Do you still think the biden story is fake news ...just a thought

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

5 hours ago, simmo said:

I'd like to think that if my son made a load of money on a business deal he'd remember his old da' who has subbed him a number of times over the last 40 years.

Whereas Trump has made mysogonistic comments, stoked racial hatred, has failed to protect his citizens and his country's employees from an epidemic, has failed to be critical of white supremacists or move to encourage bringing criminal charges against them,  has protected criminals from prosecution,  has pardoned his employees from criminal convictions, has  made obtaining and owning high powered firearms much easier and encouraged them to be paraded on the streets and in the offices of Government, has encouraged members of his party to exclude black citizens from participating in democratic elections, has continued to run his businesses whilst making decisions as President that benefit those businesses, has systematically persecuted people of colour, split families up and deported family members to different places and he has created an atmosphere where vigilantes believe they are free to kill with impunity people of colour.

He has appointed family members to positions in American govt which has allowed them to make fortunes for themselves and their families

I think that might be enough to keep him in court for the next 5 years if he loses this election and we wonder why he's desperate to win?

Biden meanwhile has done what is done everyday by American businessmen and Women 

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Iam sure the multitude of left wing media will be all over it .

The biden story is much more sinister 

Do you still think the biden story is fake news ...just a thought

Personally, I do think it is fake news.  The story of how this story got into the hands of the New York Post is at best dubious.  But I guess in the coming days we'll get more details - if there are any - with time releases for biggest political impact.  This write up seems balanced: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/22/hunter-biden-giuliani-hard-drive-431022

27 minutes ago, Mike@Bonbeach said:

The ABC?. Oh that's alright then.

I have minimal interest in Mr Trump or Mr Biden and was merely sharing an article I happened to read as it was relevant to the thread. You are also welcome to share articles or information you may have read offering a different perspective, so that others who might have an interest in the topic can discuss the opposing views like adults.

• Like 2

:evilface_frowning_s

11 minutes ago, simmo said:

Who won the debate?

Depends which website or newspaper you read

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Just now, Marisawright said:

Depends which website or newspaper you read

I read on the totally different "how is trump doing" thread that it was about even.

22 minutes ago, simmo said:

I read on the totally different "how is trump doing" thread that it was about even.

The debate itself was much more respectful and less painful to watch than the last one. Neither candidate is particularly good at debating though with Mr Trump meandering off topic to discuss whatever comes into his head (leaving you frustrated), while Mr Biden hesitates and stumbles his words (leaving you worried he's going to lose his train of thought). I know he has worked to overcome a stutter throughout his life and dont want to be unkind, but it does leave a feeling of discomfort watching it. 

In the end neither individual landed a knockout blow or messed up significantly. The two points of interest for me were Mr Biden saying he would transition away from oil (which might not go down well in some swing states) and Mr Trump appearing to say "good" at the end when Mr Biden mentioned children being separated from their parents in detention centres (which might sound callous and cost some votes if amplified by the media).

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

:evilface_frowning_s

On 22/10/2020 at 11:59, Peach said:

He didn't say he was innocent though - did he !

Let's have Obama- Cameron and Sarkozy answer questions about the death and destruction of libya - before Obama starts lecturing anyone. 

• Like 2

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Biden - " I never said that i would end fracking , show me the evidence " 

Oh dear -up come 4 video clips showing sleepy joe stating the exact opposite .

Oh dear 😳 

They all lie , but joe is a career politician for 47 years , who has achieved very little .

He would be in the job for 5 minutes - then president harris would take over 

Perish the thought ....

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

13 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Perish the thought ....

Why?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Biden - " I never said that i would end fracking , show me the evidence " 

Oh dear -up come 4 video clips showing sleepy joe stating the exact opposite .

Oh dear 😳 

They all lie , but joe is a career politician for 47 years , who has achieved very little .

He would be in the job for 5 minutes - then president harris would take over 

Perish the thought ....

I think that could very well be a viable strategy for the Democrats. Biden may have a use-by date that expires some time within the next 12 months  and so even if he is elected he may not serve a full term. Perhaps Biden is OK with this arrangement even if he is elected. Biden is a straight talker and a genuine candidate but the Dems want a woke outcome whereby Harris will be in a position to step up and be handed the batten mid-term. 

One thing is for certain, the Dems aren't stupid. They have already seen a non-white president (Obama)  as a pretty lame vote winner, and they have also seen that the electorate was probably not ready for a female president. Plan B therefore may be to get Biden elected and then, once in power they can move the pieces on the chessboard as they like. 

If its fairly obvious to the passive observer outside of the US that there must be some recognition in the US that the Dems have a chessboard plan, and that ultimately Biden will be the fall guy, 12 months in. Then Harris would be given the nod and the US will have a black female  president and Biden will be happy to go from President of the US to Resident of the US.  

I would suggest that such logic may be quite appealing to voters in the US. 

Edited by Dusty Plains

Poor old Joe couldn't even remember who he was running against today.

He thought his opponent was George Bush.

I want it all, and I want it now.

4 minutes ago, Parley said:

Poor old Joe couldn't even remember who he was running against today.

More evidence that Biden is the fall guy.  The Democrats famously despise old white guys and have form over many years in this respect.

I think that in years to come we will see Harris as POTUS.