Medicare

DavidIII

2 hours ago, Loopylu said:

Sorry, but I heard on the ABC/Triple J radio news..

That would explain it.  Triple J doesn't carry news bulletins created by ABC news journalists.  Their  "news" content is created within TripleJ  for the audience which it specifically targets - 18-24 age group music.    Maybe they should stick to their area of expertise - the music.  🤨

• Like 1

On 09/11/2020 at 19:34, mt9754 said:

As I understand it, if you want a "family doctor" that has time for you and listens to your previous history etc then you might want to pay for your appointments and go private.  Whereas if you don't really go to the doctors ever and you'll only go for a very specific problem, then go bulk billing and get a full refund back from medicare.

Make sure you login to the My Gov site and hookup:
- Medicare
- Add your bank account number

This will allow you to get automatic refunds for anything you spend at the doctors, otherwise you have to do all the paperwork manually!

No. There are very good doctors that bulk bill, know your history and are interested in getting you the best treatment. When you find one stick with them.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Skani said:

That would explain it.  Triple J doesn't carry news bulletins created by ABC news journalists.  Their  "news" content is created within TripleJ  for the audience which it specifically targets - 18-24 age group music.    Maybe they should stick to their area of expertise - the music.  🤨

I actually find the half hour Hack investigations and reports every day very well researched and presented and it gives me an insight into the areas of concerns of my children who are 15 and 2 x19. I note that one Triple J news presenter now has the regular ABC 7pm gig for reporting on disability related stories.  I filled out a Triple J survey the other day on what should be covered by Triple J in terms of current affairs and it was clear from the survey that they are looking to cover more than just yoof!.

11 hours ago, Bulya said:

Surreptitiously the same but in reality every state/territory is completely different.  Different road rules, education system, name for food, football, weather in fact just about everything.  That’s how franchises are 

Ah, you mean by "Franchise" that Australia has a "federal" system of government, unlike the UK where all the power is concentrated in Westminster? I'm not entirely sure of my facts but I think our "Founding Fathers" thought that the UK and US systems of government offered the best model, plus the Australian colonies would not agree to a central government with complete power over them.

So the Commonwealth government in Canberra has defined powers - income taxation, defence, foreign affairs, state pensions, Medicare, as do the states and territories - police, health, transport. 

Before Covid-19 came along we were not really aware too much of these differences or rather the potential for states to exercise their own powers so strongly, hence the border closures. But in normal times these differences are not really noticeable. My NSW driver's licence is accepted in all states and my Medicare card is likewise accepted.

But tell me, in the UK, now under Covid, haven't Scotland and Wales been acting like the Australian states, imposing their own rules and restrictions, becoming "franchises" in a way?

13 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Ah, you mean by "Franchise" that Australia has a "federal" system of government, unlike the UK where all the power is concentrated in Westminster? I'm not entirely sure of my facts but I think our "Founding Fathers" thought that the UK and US systems of government offered the best model, plus the Australian colonies would not agree to a central government with complete power over them.

So the Commonwealth government in Canberra has defined powers - income taxation, defence, foreign affairs, state pensions, Medicare, as do the states and territories - police, health, transport. 

Before Covid-19 came along we were not really aware too much of these differences or rather the potential for states to exercise their own powers so strongly, hence the border closures. But in normal times these differences are not really noticeable. My NSW driver's licence is accepted in all states and my Medicare card is likewise accepted.

But tell me, in the UK, now under Covid, haven't Scotland and Wales been acting like the Australian states, imposing their own rules and restrictions, becoming "franchises" in a way?

You’re overthinking it.  And I have no idea what’s going on in the UK, and even less interest.  

8 hours ago, Bulya said:

Seperate countries so a little different.  I get the point you’re making though.

In the UK they call the parts countries. In Australia they call the parts states. The spelling is a little different, but most of the difference between the structure of the UK and Australia is caused by 90% of the population of the UK living in just one state. A more even population spread between the states in Australia makes the system more workable.