Moving from Melb to either Ade or Sunshine Coast

djianb

We’ve been in Melbourne since may last year and have never really settled here. With the current restrictions and us never really taking advantage of what Melbourne is known for, we’re weighing up our options to move.

on our radar is either Adelaide or Sunshine Coast, I have 2 job opportunities through sponsorship which will lead to PR (regional) which is another driving factor as in Melbourne on my visa there is no pathway to PR.

when moving here we’d never visited and chose melb over Sydney. Again, we’ve never been to Adelaide or SC so unsure which to choose.

our most important boxes to tick are:

nice 2+bed house (with pool would be bonus) for around 750 a week, better weather than melb, close to nice beaches, decent places to dine out etc, community to make friends ideally. 

has anyone made the moves and if so pros and coms? Anyone’s comments and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

thanks 

• Like 1

The usual objection to Adelaide is that it's a very "who you know" city, so it's hard to find jobs. However if you have a job offer, that's irrelevant for you. Might be relevant to your partner though?

Everywhere in mainland Australia has better weather than Melbourne!   When you consider that the distance from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast is further than London to Barcelona, that makes total sense.

Adelaide has a very hot, dry heat in the summer whereas the Sunny Coast isn't quite as hot but is more humid.  

On balance, I would recommend trying the Sunshine Coast.   Not because it's better, but because it gives you more flexibility.  If it doesn't quite work out, you're close enough to easily attend job interviews in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and northern NSW or further up the Qld coast, and you can check out all those areas easily too.   And if you decide to move to one of those places, it's not too painful. Whereas once you're in Adelaide, you're some distance from anywhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The usual objection to Adelaide is that it's a very "who you know" city, so it's hard to find jobs. However if you have a job offer, that's irrelevant for you. Might be relevant to your partner though?

Everywhere in mainland Australia has better weather than Melbourne!   When you consider that the distance from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast is further than London to Barcelona, that makes total sense.

Adelaide has a very hot, dry heat in the summer whereas the Sunny Coast isn't quite as hot but is more humid.  

On balance, I would recommend trying the Sunshine Coast.   Not because it's better, but because it gives you more flexibility.  If it doesn't quite work out, you're close enough to easily attend job interviews in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and northern NSW or further up the Qld coast, and you can check out all those areas easily too.   And if you decide to move to one of those places, it's not too painful. Whereas once you're in Adelaide, you're some distance from anywhere. 

Brisbane isn’t regional, but luckily the Sunshine Coast is.

4 hours ago, djianb said:

We’ve been in Melbourne since may last year and have never really settled here. With the current restrictions and us never really taking advantage of what Melbourne is known for, we’re weighing up our options to move.

on our radar is either Adelaide or Sunshine Coast, I have 2 job opportunities through sponsorship which will lead to PR (regional) which is another driving factor as in Melbourne on my visa there is no pathway to PR.

when moving here we’d never visited and chose melb over Sydney. Again, we’ve never been to Adelaide or SC so unsure which to choose.

our most important boxes to tick are:

nice 2+bed house (with pool would be bonus) for around 750 a week, better weather than melb, close to nice beaches, decent places to dine out etc, community to make friends ideally. 

has anyone made the moves and if so pros and coms? Anyone’s comments and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

thanks 

What about WA? That house price you quoted could be halved and ticks all your boxes. Unsure if Perth still classed as regional? I meet a lot of people who relocate from the East and would not return. 

Edited by HappyHeart

11 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

What about WA? That house price you quoted could be halved and ticks all your boxes. Unsure if Perth still classed as regional? I meet a lot of people who relocate from the East and would not return. 

I know some families who've moved to Perth from Sydney and loved it, but I also know some who tried it and hated it. It seems to be a place that evokes a strong reaction - you either love it or can't stand it!   So I'd recommend a visit (and not just a day or two, give it a week or two and try to live like a local) before making up your mind.

4 hours ago, ramot said:

Brisbane isn’t regional, but luckily the Sunshine Coast is.

Quite a few areas south of Brisbane city (but still classed as Brisbane) do come under 'Regional', our suburb was on ''the postcode list' and many more in between here and Ipswich and here and the Gold Coast.

I think the Sunshine Coast would be worth a shot, although i've only had a fleeting visit to Adelaide so very hard to compare. The climate alone would be the swinging vote for me, not to mention to variety of living styles from beach side, to town ,to open fields and mountains. The Sunny coast is beautiful.

Cal x

• Like 2

I would make a list of pros and cons for Adelaide, and then repeat the process for the Sunshine Coast. I know that sounds a bit old school, but it's what I did when I was deciding to return to Australia or not after 5 years in the UK. Australia nudged it in the end, but it wasn't by much (it would win by a lot more given the current situation in the UK!) You might want to do a bit of research first seeing as you've never been to either place. Personally I like both, and I would consider living in Adelaide as I have a couple of good friends there I grew up with in England, but I live on the Sunshine Coast and I think it really takes some beating here. I hope they lift the restrictions soon so you can come up and see for yourself.

• Like 2

Guest The Pom Queen

I have never been to Adelaide so can’t comment. We have plenty of members who live there and they all seem to love it but work has been an issue for many. One member he may be on the Poms in Adelaide forum has been visiting the Sunshine Coast for over a year now wanting to make the move. They haven’t yet. 

Personally, if I was in your position I would choose the Sunshine Coast, there are a large number of regional areas to choose from but they are so close to Metro areas. You could also do FIFO up and down the East Coast

15 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I like both but probably the Sunshine  coast would win out if you don’t mind tourists clogging up the place.

The main time you really notice the holiday makers is the Christmas holidays, and we know it’s good for the economy. There are places we locals know that aren’t so busy. We feel lucky to live here and don’t mind sharing for a short while,  but must admit ready to reclaim after Australia Day.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ramot said:

The main time you really notice the holiday makers is the Christmas holidays, and we know it’s good for the economy. There are places we locals know that aren’t so busy. We feel lucky to live here and don’t mind sharing for a short while,  but must admit ready to reclaim after Australia Day.

@ramot we've discovered a few of these places since we moved here - I'm all for keeping them secret! 😉 

• Like 1