starlight7

Simply the best

11 minutes ago, Toots said:

My brother and his family lived in a condo very near Sukhumvit Road for over 20 years.  The Sikh tailors have many outlets in that area.  Great quality and great service.

I got the tip from a typically chatty London Cabbie when I was in London. "If you are  going to Thailand, go down to Sukhumvit Rd in Bangkok and get a whole new wardrobe. Cheap as. I go every year or so" he said. 

You can't beat that advice, and he was right.

2 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

I got the tip from a typically chatty London Cabbie when I was in London. "If you are  going to Thailand, go down to Sukhumvit Rd in Bangkok and get a whole new wardrobe. Cheap as. I go every year or so" he said. 

You can't beat that advice, and he was right.

I don't think there is anything you can't get in the vicinity of Sukhumvit Road.  😉  Fabulous place to pass the time just people watching.

7 minutes ago, Toots said:

I don't think there is anything you can't get in the vicinity of Sukhumvit Road.  😉  Fabulous place to pass the time just people watching.

Yes, restaurants and street foodies galore. Oh, and the Elephant beer  mmmmm. That's why I finally got to the Tailors at 11pm!

Edited by Dusty Plains

I forgot about budapest! Me and my boyfriend went there this time last year and it was great.  So cheap and beautiful. The thermal baths were really nice although very busy in some bits. Hope to go back again when possible 

On 13/10/2020 at 13:59, Johndoe said:

I know of an accountant who goes over there just to have his suits made. He says the holiday is a bonus 🙂

Some of our friends go to Bali to get their teeth done and the holiday is a bonus.

10 hours ago, Quokka2005 said:

I forgot about budapest! Me and my boyfriend went there this time last year and it was great.  So cheap and beautiful. The thermal baths were really nice although very busy in some bits. Hope to go back again when possible 

I love Budapest too. Loved all the big statues in Heroes Square and the goulash was nothing like our version- much better.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed all the places we've visited and each holds a special memory - I never tire of NYC, places I'd go back to .. San Fran, Vancouver and Banff

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

11 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I love Budapest too. Loved all the big statues in Heroes Square and the goulash was nothing like our version- much better.

I had some Langos but it wasn’t as good as it was in Berlin Christmas markets.  Berlin’s on my fave list too, been twice and desperate to take my boyfriend there

2 minutes ago, Quokka2005 said:

I had some Langos but it wasn’t as good as it was in Berlin Christmas markets.  Berlin’s on my fave list too, been twice and desperate to take my boyfriend there

I would love to visit Berlin, it’s on my bucket list.  I went to Cologne 2 years ago and did the Christmas markets and loved it. It snowed all day on the first day, it was just magical. 

• Like 2

Aw that sounds lovely!! It snowed slightly when I went in the January but not when I went in December.  It’s just such a cool place, my boyfriends really into history so I think he’ll like it 

Haven't seen snow in a while except a couple of years back at the top of a Norwegian mountain, at a distance. Lovely memories but that is all they will be until this rotten Covid thing is over. New Zealand is looking good.  I wanted to go across to South Australia but they have got it again now. Horrible horrible horrible.

5 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I would love to visit Berlin, it’s on my bucket list.  I went to Cologne 2 years ago and did the Christmas markets and loved it. It snowed all day on the first day, it was just magical. 

I loved Cologne and Munich, went many times at all times of the year.  Berlin however - never gelled with, completely different to the other two.  I found the people more standoff-ish in Berlin.

• Haha 1

The snow was gorgeous and just luck that it happened when I was there.  It had a negative to it though when the long weekend was over.  It was the last time we had descent snow here, certainly in the south where I live. Nothing like what I had in Germany but enough to cause disruption to flights returning.  What should have been a 1 hour, 10 minute flight back took 14 hours as most airports in the U.K. were closed and flights were all cancelled.  That was a Sunday evening and the first flight offered was the following Wednesday.. No way could I stay that long so we did what many others did. We go an overnight coach to Belgium and then the Eurostar back into London. Then a train to the original airport as our car had been parked there so with waiting times and all that we got back home 14 hours later.  I’ve actually realised it was three years ago not two. It was worth the hassle though and I got everything refunded on my travel insurance.  Eurostar prices had rocketed that day as they got wind of everyone’s need to get home. We had to book first class as it was the only ones left.  Another shout for having travel insurance. The cost to me was nearly £400 with the coach, Eurostar and train back to the airport. It was covered under abandonment on my insurance.   In contrast, my friend didn’t bother with travel insurance and it turned out an expensive trip for her. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Berlin is very bohemian, not like other German cities but great to visit for the history.

Hamburg or Hannover (minni hamburg) are the best places to visit. IMO

• Like 1

13 hours ago, unzippy said:

I loved Cologne and Munich, went many times at all times of the year.  Berlin however - never gelled with, completely different to the other two.  I found the people more standoff-ish in Berlin.

Three and a half years in Germany and too young to remember most of it.  

2 hours ago, Red Rose said:

USA by far. Doubt I will ever visit a city that can tick as many boxes as New York

I loved New York.  I went late May and the weather was perfect, mid 20’s every day. I remember sitting outside at the boathouse    in Central Park sharing a cheese platter and lovely wine and thinking wow. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I loved New York.  I went late May and the weather was perfect, mid 20’s every day. I remember sitting outside at the boathouse    in Central Park sharing a cheese platter and lovely wine and thinking wow. 

For a first timer, it was easy to get around. The subway trains are designated with a letter, such as A ( the A Train) or E  etc and the new visitor soon finds out how to get to the various places you want to go to. Then in Manhattan walking around town, most of the streets are numbered, in order,  north/south and east/west, so its very easy to find a particular place you want to visit.

The best part of New York is the New Yorkers.  The best bar to mix it with the locals? Chumley's in lower Manhattan.