Marisawright

Anyone recommend a set top box (Australia)

9 hours ago, rtritudr said:

Google Chromecast Ultra Black

Just to make sure we're on the same page, you have one of these devices and it's plugged into your TV, right? After you plug it in (with power), you need to change your TV's input source to the HDMI port that the Chromecast is connected to.  Once you do that whether the TV has a wifi connection or not should have no effect whatsoever.  If it is having an effect then you're probably not using the Chromecast device.

That’s the one. I’ve got the box with the name on it. Obviously I’m missing something in the instructions 

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

33 minutes ago, unzippy said:

This is interesting.  I had no idea it used Bluetooth.   I think we were following the wifi instructions which kept telling us to connect the TV to wifi.  Will try the Bluetooth option as we do have the "second generation" one.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That’s the one. I’ve got the box with the name on it. Obviously I’m missing something in the instructions 

Good, so you have the right device.  It should be plugged into an HDMI port with a number, e.g., HDMI1, HDMI2, etc.  After you turn the TV on, use your TV's remote to change the input source to the corresponding HDMI port.  Assuming that's successful, you should see the Chromecast splash screen on the TV, like this:

2013-08-07-12.30

If you can't make it to this step then watch this video guide for guidance:

On 13/10/2020 at 10:27, rtritudr said:

Good, so you have the right device.  It should be plugged into an HDMI port with a number, e.g., HDMI1, HDMI2, etc.  After you turn the TV on, use your TV's remote to change the input source to the corresponding HDMI port.  Assuming that's successful, you should see the Chromecast splash screen on the TV, like this:

If you can't make it to this step then watch this video guide for guidance:

This video is exactly how I tried to set up Chromcast.  But it comes down to the same thing every time - it says, "make sure your phone is connected to the same wifi that Chromecast connects to".   

But the video doesn't explain how the Chromecast connects to the wifi.    I interpreted that to mean I had to connect the TV to my wifi, but you're saying that's not the case - so...?

Edited by Marisawright

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

This video is exactly how I tried to set up Chromcast.  But it comes down to the same thing every time - it says, "make sure your phone is connected to the same wifi that Chromecast connects to".   

But the video doesn't explain how the Chromecast connects to the wifi.    I interpreted that to mean I had to connect the TV to my wifi, but you're saying that's not the case - so...?

I can see where the confusion is.  The instruction actually says "make sure your phone is connected to the same wifi that your Chromecast will connect to".  Your phone wifi setting will be automatically copied over to the Chromecast by the Google Home app, presumably via Bluetooth.

Note that the instructional video is using an Android phone to perform the setup, I have no idea whether this could be done with an iPhone or not.  To be safe I'd use an Android phone.

54 minutes ago, rtritudr said:

I can see where the confusion is.  The instruction actually says "make sure your phone is connected to the same wifi that your Chromecast will connect to".  Your phone wifi setting will be automatically copied over to the Chromecast by the Google Home app, presumably via Bluetooth.

No, it isn't.  That's the problem.  Chromecast always tells me it can't connect to wifi, even though I've followed all the other instructions (and it is an Android phone with the Google Home app).  If I then connect the TV to wifi, Chromecast seems to pick up that wifi connection and everything goes smoothly.   Or I should say, it used to - but now the TV's in-built apps are playing up, it won't work any more, because the apps insist on syncing with each other.

Edited by Marisawright

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

No, it isn't.  That's the problem.  Chromecast tells me it can't connect to wifi, even though I've followed all the other instructions (and it is an Android phone with the Google Home app).  If I then connect the TV to wifi, Chromecast seems to pick up that wifi connection and everything goes smoothly.   Or I should say, it used to - but now the TV's in-built apps are playing up, it won't work any more, because the apps insist on syncing with each other.

I was wrong about the automatic setup.  You have to re-enter the WiFi details manually during the Google Home device setup process. That's the reason why it tells you to use the same WiFi network as your phone, because you could accidentally choose a different WiFi network when re-entering the details for the Chromecast and then it won't work afterwards because the phone won't be able to stream the data over to the TV.

Did you choose the WiFi network and enter the WiFi password during the device setup process in Google Home? If you did and then encountered the "cannot connect to wifi" error, please take a screenshot of your TV with that message on it.

BTW, Google has a phone support service in Australia for Chromecast, their number is 1800-093-181.

9 minutes ago, rtritudr said:

I was wrong about the automatic setup.  You have to re-enter the WiFi details manually during the Google Home device setup process. That's the reason why it tells you to use the same WiFi network as your phone, because you could accidentally choose a different WiFi network when re-entering the details for the Chromecast and then it won't work afterwards because the phone won't be able to stream the data over to the TV.

Did you choose the WiFi network and enter the WiFi password during the device setup process in Google Home? If you did and then encountered the "cannot connect to wifi" error, please take a screenshot of your TV with that message on it.

What do you mean by Google Home? Do you mean the app on the phone? I can’t find any menu which asks me to choose a wifi network. 

31 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

What do you mean by Google Home? Do you mean the app on the phone? I can’t find any menu which asks me to choose a wifi network. 

Yes, I mean the app on the phone.  In the video above, start watching at 1:48 and you should end up in a place where you can select the wifi network through the app.  Note that if you've already gone through the setup process, you may have to delete the Chromecast device from your phone first.  The easiest way to do that is to just delete the Google Home app and download it again.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2020 at 15:45, rtritudr said:

Yes, I mean the app on the phone.  In the video above, start watching at 1:48 and you should end up in a place where you can select the wifi network through the app.  Note that if you've already gone through the setup process, you may have to delete the Chromecast device from your phone first.  The easiest way to do that is to just delete the Google Home app and download it again.

@rtritudr, thanks for trying to help.  Actually all your instructions confirmed what I had already been doing and none of it worked unless I connect the TV wifi - which then led to the syncing problem.

However, I finally worked it out.  Deep in the phone settings (not the Google settings), there's an option called "Allow Bluetooth tethering".  If it's unticked, Bluetooth won't allow tethering, even if it's showing as switched on and working on the phone.  I ticked the box, did the setup again, and it's all working.  At last!

Now I'm trying to get access to BBC iPlayer using Surfshark, but it's buffering so much I can't watch it. I may have to ditch Surfshark and try a different VPN

So many options. Ridiculous really. Too complicated.

I miss 4 channels and having to get up to turn it over. 

We have a smallish (in todays TV terms🙄) smart TV which is dramatically underutilised. We have a set top box as most channels don't work without it. We mostly watch Netflix series and I like the medical docos and cooking shows (much to husband's despair) 

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Now I'm trying to get access to BBC iPlayer using Surfshark, but it's buffering so much I can't watch it. I may have to ditch Surfshark and try a different VPN

VPNs are a bit hit and miss.

My VPN works for Amazon Prime Video in the US and UK, but BBC Iplayer refuses to work with it.

I think sites like BBC iPlayer will notice if they get multiple connections from a single IP address and flag it. Not sure how it works but it seems some VPNs will work but not always for these streaming sites.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

VPNs are a bit hit and miss.

My VPN works for Amazon Prime Video in the US and UK, but BBC Iplayer refuses to work with it.

I think sites like BBC iPlayer will notice if they get multiple connections from a single IP address and flag it. Not sure how it works but it seems some VPNs will work but not always for these streaming sites.

I only just got Surfshark and it did let me connect to iPlayer once, but the quality was terrible.  I've since tried again and it won't let me.  Like you, I find it works for other things fairly well.