Looking for similar. 489 visa holders who have not been able to (initially) enter Aus

Dazspy

6 hours ago, jo.b said:

Need somewhere to rant, so apologies in advance for this! Feel like I'm stuck in a vortex waiting for information about when they're going to reopen border and when they do, if they're going to add the time onto our visas that we've lost. 

I have a daughter in Year 7, who ended up at a different secondary to her entire primary school and all her friends because of catchment and the fact that we didn't think she'd be starting secondary school here and she hates it. Younger one desperate for a dog. And two parents who feel they've been having the same conversations and getting nowhere for the past 10 months!

It's beyond depressing. I'm struggling to give up on my dream of emigrating but it would be so easy right now to move, get my eldest into the school with her friends, get a dog and just get on with life. The expense of all that would eat into our Oz fund and then maybe we'd be too settled to go, and I know I'd always think 'what if?'

Sorry to not add anything positive to this thread but I know you're all in the same boat. I'm still scouring the internet daily. Vaccine rollouts sound promising but it's the frustrating lack of solid information to be able to base any decisions on that's seriously doing my head in!!!

That's me done. Would like to say I feel better now that's out, but I don't!! Didn't mean to drag you all down. Sorry 😞

In the same boat, stay positive.

On 09/03/2021 at 19:22, jo.b said:

Need somewhere to rant, so apologies in advance for this! Feel like I'm stuck in a vortex waiting for information about when they're going to reopen border and when they do, if they're going to add the time onto our visas that we've lost. 

I have a daughter in Year 7, who ended up at a different secondary to her entire primary school and all her friends because of catchment and the fact that we didn't think she'd be starting secondary school here and she hates it. Younger one desperate for a dog. And two parents who feel they've been having the same conversations and getting nowhere for the past 10 months!

It's beyond depressing. I'm struggling to give up on my dream of emigrating but it would be so easy right now to move, get my eldest into the school with her friends, get a dog and just get on with life. The expense of all that would eat into our Oz fund and then maybe we'd be too settled to go, and I know I'd always think 'what if?'

Sorry to not add anything positive to this thread but I know you're all in the same boat. I'm still scouring the internet daily. Vaccine rollouts sound promising but it's the frustrating lack of solid information to be able to base any decisions on that's seriously doing my head in!!!

That's me done. Would like to say I feel better now that's out, but I don't!! Didn't mean to drag you all down. Sorry 😞

People who planned their travel in April or May 2020 to Australia must be feeling same as you. I planned to travel in June 2020 and still waiting. its so frustrating to watch news and read articles everyday with a hope of some good news. it feels like you made decision to move, you are all there mentally because of which you cant focus on your current job or life. there will be no news until June 2021 I believe as then declared border closer until June. I am loosing my patience already and looking for alternate option. 

June News is last hope for me, if there is no good news by then the visa will be scrap and 4 years for efforts, time and money wasted. looks like Aus making a lot of money through this, they are inviting, granting visa, processing it but not opening borders. Sorry to say this 489 visa application money is helping them survive COVID

8 hours ago, Skhush said:

looks like Aus making a lot of money through this, they are inviting, granting visa, processing it but not opening borders. Sorry to say this 489 visa application money is helping them survive COVID

They are not making much (if any) money from visas. It certainly isn't helping them get through COVID.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skhush said:

looks like Aus making a lot of money through this, they are inviting, granting visa, processing it but not opening borders. Sorry to say this 489 visa application money is helping them survive COVID

What a silly comment.  They stopped accepting applications for 489 visas long before Covid hit.

I do think it's disgraceful that the government is classifying the 489 and 491 as temporary.  They should be making a special case to allow them the same access rights as 189 and 190 holders.  But it's not a money making ploy, it's just cold-hearted.

15 hours ago, Marisawright said:

What a silly comment.  They stopped accepting applications for 489 visas long before Covid hit.

I do think it's disgraceful that the government is classifying the 489 and 491 as temporary.  They should be making a special case to allow them the same access rights as 189 and 190 holders.  But it's not a money making ploy, it's just cold-hearted.

I meant temporary visa applications. I am aware 489 is closed and 491 has been  introduced. I do see people are receiving  491 grant not critical skills. people have received visa grants but they too cant plan travel until there is news on opening border. the only good thing is they will not loose years like us who have been granted visa end of 2019 or start of 2020. 

I Agree on second point with you and my only request or perhaps suggestion for AUS government would be they should at least look at 489 visa holder waiting to make first entry and ease on some restrictions.  

• 10 months later...

OKAY! so a lot has happened for us*, but I just happened to come across the announcement that 489 visa's are to be extended for 3 years! I hope that is positive news for all?

some questions need clarifying answers, such as 'is the extension added to your visa end date, or is it 3 years from 16th Feb 2022' ...

*We had given up on Aus and moved to France, bought a house and the kids are in French speaking school.... oops/ohlala

@Dazspy How's France going then? Presumably Oz is off the cards for you now or is it still lingering in the back of your minds?

I'm not sure where our heads are at. It's great news that the time has been added on, the news they could have given way back at the start, but chose not to!

We went ahead and got a dog :) We also managed by hook and by crook to get our daughter into the same school as her primary friends, so she's happier now and more settled. Now my husband and I need to get our heads back in the game and psych ourselves up for emigrating again.

The concerns we've always had (will it work out, will we get jobs, will the kids settle) are still there, plus we're now 2 years older and harder now eldest is at secondary school. Really wish we'd been able to do the move when the kids were younger. But it's not off the cards for us. We keep saying we'll regret it if we don't go, so I hope we decide to give it a go. There's just more to give up now so it feels riskier. Who knows.

How's everyone else feeling?

@jo.b hmm, well maybe you are aware of the stages of grief..? We have run the gamut ob losing Aus as our plan. Bereavement is the best example I think. Well we got on with living instead of making plans.. And have felt great doing so. We absolutely love where we have ended up. The Auvergne region of France has super affordable houses and small ski resorts, it's awesome.

What isn't awesome is brexit and the visas required to be allowed to work and earn, even if you work remotely, say in the UK but are living in France.. Well we want to integrate and pay tax etc. It's just very difficult to get legitimate..

Ironically I am an Aus visa holder with the right to work, (obv) and my work skills are desired in Aus, so am about to head over there to earn some income... Which is how I stumbled upon this news about extension. 

My mindset is that I will (we will) regret it if we don't take the opportunity, as it has been presented. So I am all for going for it anyway. And even though we have blown most of our capital on a french house, you can't (realistically) buy/own in Aus until you have your Permanent Residency anyway, which gives you time to get financially started...

In the long run, I would like to think I would have bought a place in Europe/France anyway... Aus is amazing in so many ways, but historic culture is something to visit Europe for, (and many other regions, of course) 

I don't know what your job interests are, but it has been our experience that there are many lucrative options in Aus. We were there for 4 years previously and easily saved up deposit money. While living the high life and paying rent etc. 

I wish you luck in your decision, get to rewatching those 'wanted down under shows' eh!?

Edited by Dazspy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dazspy said:

I don't know what your job interests are, but it has been our experience that there are many lucrative options in Aus. We were there for 4 years previously and easily saved up deposit money. While living the high life and paying rent etc. 

A word of warning about that - it's true that for some occupations, the pay is much better in Australia.  However there are other occupations where the pay is worse - a lot of corporate jobs, for instance. So people should never assume, and always do their homework.

It also depends where someone lives now, and where they're going to in Australia. House prices have skyrocketed, you're likely to be struggling even if you're in one of the higher-paid occupations.   If you're going to a regional area as 489/491 visa holders are, at least those prices started from a low base, but it's no longer as cheap to live.

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

A word of warning about that - it's true that for some occupations, the pay is much better in Australia.  However there are other occupations where the pay is worse - a lot of corporate jobs, for instance. So people should never assume, and always do their homework.

It also depends where someone lives now, and where they're going to in Australia. House prices have skyrocketed, you're likely to be struggling even if you're in one of the higher-paid occupations.   If you're going to a regional area as 489/491 visa holders are, at least those prices started from a low base, but it's no longer as cheap to live.

That is good to know, I have been away from Oz for 6years. We were in N Queensland and would be returning to S.A., Adelaide area. 

I certainly won't argue with what @Marisawright states above.

However Oz has not suffered with the recessions and austerity measures that the UK has seen through most of my 42years. It seems and feels to me, a more stable and affluent country, on the whole.

20 minutes ago, Dazspy said:

However Oz has not suffered with the recessions and austerity measures that the UK has seen through most of my 42years. It seems and feels to me, a more stable and affluent country, on the whole.

Historically, I think Australia has been a much more affluent country for most of the 30 years that I've been here.   There are signs that is changing, though.  I feel sorry for the younger generation, it's now almost normal for young people in Sydney and Melbourne to still be living at home in their 30s, and many are resigned to renting for the rest of their lives - which may not be a bad thing, if Australia can manage to transition to a European-style rental market (where people sign up for a lease for several years, and can feel like a rental place is home).  No sign of that yet, though.

Edited by Marisawright

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear your good news (options are always good)

Hmmm, I'll try and answer succinctly.

We left because I was made redundant.  We chose to apply where my wife could fit the requirements for application for (189)/ 489. Skilled visa.

There is so much more to story, but ignoring the annoying fate/bad luck parts and concentrating on the positive aspects. Our 1st son was born in Rockhampton. He was nearly 1 when we had to leave, but it doesn't feel right that he can only visit his birth home country as a tourist. So we commited to returning, for all our sakes. 

Queensland is brilliant and I have seen a lot of it. But 4 years of Truman show esq blue skies, sweltering heat and 12 hour long days kinda wears you down. That's to say that there are barely any seasons in Qld and we love to ski/snowboard and wear jeans and jackets from time to time!

So S.A. had us on their skills list and it's another interesting adventure to have. Not to mention the length of the days changes through the year! (Yeah you can bbq everyday in QLD but you have to be cooked up by 6pm, or the mozzies and the dark getcha)

Maybe that helps? Look, if you ever wanted a zoom/skype/fb/whatsapp..... chat, we'd be available. 

Hope you're well

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Least they could do after the shabby way they've treated 489/491 holders during the pandemic.

It’s not all good news for some. I came across someone online who was on a 489, applied for the 887. Their 489 expired and was on a bridging visa, they moved to a metro area as they can do on a bridging visa. Their 489 was the. Extended and suddenly active again replacing the bridging visa, as a result they are now in breach of the rules…

7 hours ago, JetBlast said:

It’s not all good news for some. I came across someone online who was on a 489, applied for the 887. Their 489 expired and was on a bridging visa, they moved to a metro area as they can do on a bridging visa. Their 489 was the. Extended and suddenly active again replacing the bridging visa, as a result they are now in breach of the rules…

That doesn't sound right.   489 and 491 offshore visa holders needed to have their visas extended to give them more time to get onshore and qualify, but why on earth would they extend visa holders who are onshore?

On 22/02/2022 at 19:14, Marisawright said:

That doesn't sound right.   489 and 491 offshore visa holders needed to have their visas extended to give them more time to get onshore and qualify, but why on earth would they extend visa holders who are onshore?

It's true and I have absolutely no idea as to why they have not excluded those who have already applied for an 887 visa (decision pending) from this bulk update.

My 489 has been extended for another 3 years, despite submission of an 887 late 2020.

I do not want this extension, nor will anyone remove this.

My bridging visa, just about to be activated (as granted at 887 submission time), has no restrictions/conditions, but the 3 year extension contains all the restrictions of the previous visa, which of course has been honoured in full.

Who is in a position to resolve? - The dept won't even speak about my case, only in general terms and all they would reiterate is to review the website, that explains the extension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AucklandBill said:

It's true and I have absolutely no idea as to why they have not excluded those who have already applied for an 887 visa (decision pending) from this bulk update.

My 489 has been extended for another 3 years, despite submission of an 887 late 2020.

I do not want this extension, nor will anyone remove this.

My bridging visa, just about to be activated (as granted at 887 submission time), has no restrictions/conditions, but the 3 year extension contains all the restrictions of the previous visa, which of course has been honoured in full.

Who is in a position to resolve? - The dept won't even speak about my case, only in general terms and all they would reiterate is to review the website, that explains the extension.

That's really annoying for you. On the surface it seems like a really good thing the department has done, but in catching people like you in the net as well it has caused isolated issues (which of course are serious to those it affects).

Hopefully common sense will eventually result in a quiet reversal of some of these unwanted consequences

On 22/02/2022 at 19:14, Marisawright said:

If you was offshore any time between 01/02/2020 - 14/12/2021 you will receive the extension. Regardless of you’re onshore now and have an 887 application underway. 

i assume the said person was overseas for a time and had an exemption to return. 

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/regional-visa

11 hours ago, JetBlast said:

If you was offshore any time between 01/02/2020 - 14/12/2021 you will receive the extension. Regardless of you’re onshore now and have an 887 application underway. 

i assume the said person was overseas for a time and had an exemption to return. 

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/regional-visa

I had 4 days, a long weekend, in Auckland during Feb 2020. There was no travel restriction in place and exemption was not applicable.

Still been granted an extension against my wishes.

887 lodged in 2020, I did not need an extension to the 489 and want this reversed back to the agreed expiry date and subsequent bridging visa A that had  no conditions.

Still no official notification of this costly extension, only by self checking VEVO are you aware of the alteration at this time.

Seems like possible unintended consequence despite the ministers best intentions.

Cant get anyone to listen unfortunately. There seems no way to bring individual cases to attention and quickly so.

Edited by AucklandBill
Typos

Caution:

So, it seems there is a potential resolution to this issue after all. Sometimes it takes multiple calls to the helpline, but patience is they key here.

A word of warning.  Don't take this info as gospel, do run it past someone with more knowledge in this area, and be aware of the possible consequences.

I'll try to summarise.

1. The 3 year extension cannot be lifted from individual accounts.
  2. You can make a request to cancel your existing 489 visa.

Option 2 is a possible way forward for anyone who is in the following categories:

• Has an existing Bridging Visa A/B related to an 887 application which has already been lodged and the holder has since moved to a non regional area (if no conditions on the Bridging Visa A/B and that same Bridging Visa is live and in effect until the 887 decision).

As the extension has the effect of reinstating the original 489 and all previous conditions, the visa holder could consider a request to cancel the 489 via their Immi Account (can take up to 6 weeks to process).  The Bridging Visa relating to the 887 should remain active, thereby returning the visa holder to the same position they were in before the extensions granted on 18/02/2022.

• Has an existing Bridging Visa A/B (with no conditions) related to an 887 application, but not yet in effect until proposed end date as per their original grant letter, and as detailed within the Bridging Visa A Notification letter.

Even more caution should be applied here.  The aim is not to jeopardise the prospects of the 887 being successfully granted.  The 887 application has pre-requisites including work and residential requirements. The decision officer may also require that the 489 Visa Grant letter and conditions are also respected and complied with in full.

In this scenario, should you decide that the bridging visa is your preferred option, do not consider requesting cancellation of your 489 until after your initial obligations and conditions have been adhered to.  That would normally mean staying within the designated areas for the entire duration of the original 489 before taking advantage of the lesser or zero restrictions as listed in your Bridging Visa A.

489 visa holders should not be moving to non designated areas unless authorised to do so.

This solution suits those who may have already anticipated making a move as soon as their original 489 expired but may have been caught up in trap of the 489 extension and it's unintended consequences.

However, please seek professional advice rather than consuming info from a non qualified person on an internet forum.

Hopefully this info helps or offers potential comfort for those who have been shaken up in the past week.

Further reminder - When in the Immi Account - do remember it's the 489 visa we are talking about, not the 887 application.  Do not under any circumstances get confused.  Given the current 887 processing times, you do not want to reset the clock here, nor terminate your Bridging Visa which is live due to the 887 application and suffer the consequences that such action would bring.
Edited by AucklandBill
Explicit warning.