Where to begin? Time to return home

Senfield

4 hours ago, Martinbjulieb said:

We used Chess. Britannia at this end and they were amazing!! Don’t get your insurance through them though. We used Letton Percival. I think they are mentioned on here somewhere. Good luck! 

Allied Pickford stated it would be beneficial to take out their insurance & storage, because it will work out cheaper!!! Belongings are going into storage until I find somewhere to live. The rep said this will ensure everything remains covered until items are delivered to an address!!! Finding the right removals has been my biggest challenge. 

40 minutes ago, Senfield said:

Allied Pickford stated it would be beneficial to take out their insurance & storage, because it will work out cheaper!!! Belongings are going into storage until I find somewhere to live. The rep said this will ensure everything remains covered until items are delivered to an address!!! Finding the right removals has been my biggest challenge. 

It may well be cheaper but if you need to claim, you may regret it!

If things will be in storage for some time, it’s better to get them to deliver it to a self storage place, as then you’ll be able to visit and take bits and pieces as you need then. More expensive but more practical 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

On 20/10/2020 at 21:05, bunbury61 said:

Well the autumn and winter better hurry up - 17c today 

A bit of wind today - still as anything over the last few days 

Pretty pleasant - some lovely colours 

If winter can wait just until after I arrive back, this will give me time to get a new wardrobe of clothes 😂

Edited by Senfield

• 1 month later...
On 20/10/2020 at 20:41, Senfield said:

They might haggle about claims though! If I remember correctly our belongings were insured for 60 days after they went into storage as we didn’t know where we were ending up at that time. 

• 4 months later...

@Senfield I have just come across your question and this thread. I find myself a few steps behind you but at a similar crossroads in life. I have been living out in Australia for close to 14 years and it was never my intention to stay forever... Over the years it became easier to stay, than move back, but the pull of home has been strong over the last 3 years. I have been living with my partner (who is German) for almost 2 years now in a country town outside of Melbourne. He has always said he won't move back and his home is now here. He's a good man, but I just can't imagine my life out here. Last week my Aunt died in the UK which has been unfathomably difficult and has bought the pull for home back with a vengeance. I know I'm the only one who can answer my question of what to do, but it's comforting in some ways that others like yourself have gone through this decision. I would love to know how you are and how the move back to the UK went? If you have any regrets or any advice for someone where you were once were with a partner who would never leave Australia vs family and the pull for home in the UK.

Edited by LittleLadyJayne

• 1 month later...
On 14/04/2021 at 10:13, LittleLadyJayne said:

@Senfield I have just come across your question and this thread. I find myself a few steps behind you but at a similar crossroads in life. I have been living out in Australia for close to 14 years and it was never my intention to stay forever... Over the years it became easier to stay, than move back, but the pull of home has been strong over the last 3 years. I have been living with my partner (who is German) for almost 2 years now in a country town outside of Melbourne. He has always said he won't move back and his home is now here. He's a good man, but I just can't imagine my life out here. Last week my Aunt died in the UK which has been unfathomably difficult and has bought the pull for home back with a vengeance. I know I'm the only one who can answer my question of what to do, but it's comforting in some ways that others like yourself have gone through this decision. I would love to know how you are and how the move back to the UK went? If you have any regrets or any advice for someone where you were once were with a partner who would never leave Australia vs family and the pull for home in the UK.

Hi LittleLadyJayne,

just come across your post, how similar our experiences are. Although, partner is not German, he lived in Germany prior to coming to Australia.

As for for an update on how things are going! Well I have returned to Australia. I was so desperate to return to the UK, but on arriving back, nothing felt right. I was offered employment within days of arriving. Everything was falling into place but only on a practical level, emotionally I was feeling so lost. 
After much deliberation I returned to Brisbane & I could not be happier. It was painful to leave my family but it would have been wrong to stay & feel so unhappy.

I have no regrets on either of my decisions. I had to return home to find out what I really wanted. 

feel free to pm 😊

• Like 3
  • Congratulations 1

I understand the leaving permanently exemption, but surely if you’ve applied for that then how do you get a flight a few months later to return to Australia?  All we seem to hear is that there are thousands of Australians trying to get back home, unsuccessfully.   This is a genuine question, asked with no ill intent.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, blondie said:

I understand the leaving permanently exemption, but surely if you’ve applied for that then how do you get a flight a few months later to return to Australia?  All we seem to hear is that there are thousands of Australians trying to get back home, unsuccessfully.   This is a genuine question, asked with no ill intent.

It's a loophole, because permanent residents and citizens don't need permission to return.  So theoretically you could pretend you're leaving permanently to get the exemption, and then come back a few months later.  However to get the "leaving permanently" exemption you need to show things like giving notice at work, selling your home, shipping your belongings etc so it would be a pretty drastic way to do it.

People are getting flights, it's just a case of being rich enough to pay first/business class fares.  

21 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's a loophole, because permanent residents and citizens don't need permission to return.  So theoretically you could pretend you're leaving permanently to get the exemption, and then come back a few months later.  However to get the "leaving permanently" exemption you need to show things like giving notice at work, selling your home, shipping your belongings etc so it would be a pretty drastic way to do it.

People are getting flights, it's just a case of being rich enough to pay first/business class fares.  

Ok .. that makes sense, thanks for explaining.   It might still be possible for our son to travel back then as he has citizenship and wants to do his year work experience in Oz.  Just might take all our saved up air miles for the flight 😀

2 hours ago, blondie said:

Ok .. that makes sense, thanks for explaining.   It might still be possible for our son to travel back then as he has citizenship and wants to do his year work experience in Oz.  Just might take all our saved up air miles for the flight 😀

I wouldn’t be using air miles due to the high risk of cancellation. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blondie said:

Our friends managed to get their daughter back from Holland. Not sure how much they had to pay but my guess is they would have payed whatever, they were all pretty desperate, her to leave and parents to get her back. I think she flew Singapore Airlines, bit safer than going through anywhere else.

Made me wonder if it would be easier to get back from the UK by going to another country and getting an Aus flight from there.

Suppose you would need proof of vaccine now?

9 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Our friends managed to get their daughter back from Holland. Not sure how much they had to pay but my guess is they would have payed whatever, they were all pretty desperate, her to leave and parents to get her back. I think she flew Singapore Airlines, bit safer than going through anywhere else.

Made me wonder if it would be easier to get back from the UK by going to another country and getting an Aus flight from there.

Suppose you would need proof of vaccine now?

Flight caps are not UK specific, they apply to all flights, no matter where people are coming from. And there is no requirement to be vaccinated in order to enter Australia (unless an airline has its own ruling in force).

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2021 at 07:25, Senfield said:

Hi LittleLadyJayne,

just come across your post, how similar our experiences are. Although, partner is not German, he lived in Germany prior to coming to Australia.

As for for an update on how things are going! Well I have returned to Australia. I was so desperate to return to the UK, but on arriving back, nothing felt right. I was offered employment within days of arriving. Everything was falling into place but only on a practical level, emotionally I was feeling so lost. 
After much deliberation I returned to Brisbane & I could not be happier. It was painful to leave my family but it would have been wrong to stay & feel so unhappy.

I have no regrets on either of my decisions. I had to return home to find out what I really wanted. 

feel free to pm 😊

@SenfieldThank you so much for sharing 'what happened next'. I really appreciate hearing your story and knowing that Australia was the right choice in the end. It must feel good to know what was on the 'other side', and to have explored the grass is greener ideology. I think that's why I go through waves of confusion, and also knowing if I left at the current time, it would be very hard to get back due to COVID. Oh decisions decisions right! I know the UK has changed SO much, but I also know, just like your own experience, that the only way to know is to give it a go! 

Thank you for the offer for me to pm you - I shall do so 🙂 

Edited by LittleLadyJayne

Hi Littleladyjane

I also have the same fears as you. 

I came to Australia when I was 19 (I'm now 46) as my Mum emigrated over here and remarried. Her parents and Brother also followed but my Nan and Uncle migrated back to England 3 years ago.

My Mum sadly passed away at 56 in 2005 and I went back to England for a holiday to see my Dad,Sister, Aunt and Uncle in Dec 2005. When I was there all. I wanted to do was stay, but I had another life here in Oz. The same feeling again in 2009 when I went back for my Uncle's funeral.

My sister has two sons now and my Dad and Aunty are getting older and although all my adult life is here in Oz, my friends and connections I have to leave. I can't live my life so torn and empty anymore. My family mean everything.

So, I have made the decision and have started the very long list of things that need doing.

Please feel free to Pm me also. I truly feel for how you must be feeling. Either way there is loss hey?

If anyone has any advice or tips please feel free to let me know 🙂

• Like 1