Where to begin? Time to return home

Senfield

After a long and painful year, the time has come to say goodbye to Australia and return home to the UK. After much soul searching my partner and I after 12 years together are going our separate ways. The reason for the split is because I want to return home after 11 years in Australia (it was never going to be a forever plan) but partner wants to remain in Australia indefinitely. I cannot commit to that plan and so the decision has been made. Going through a painful time, house was put on the market a couple of days ago and an offer has been accepted. The reality is hitting home very hard but as much as I try to consider if things could be different, I keep on coming back to the intense feeling wanting to be back home with my children, grandson (4yrs), family and friends.  

So the big question is where to begin? I know I have to apply for an exemption to leave and that would appear to be straight forward, now the house has been sold and can provide evidence of my intention to leave and not return. 

So I am aware of the TOR but have no idea how to go about it, any suggestions greatly received. 

Removals:  any suggestions on companies that offer good value for money? I will be taking half the contents of a 4 bed house. I will initially stay with family and friends so will need storage for a couple of months.  

Any other words of wisdom would be greatly received. 

Sorry to hear how this has happened. I can't help with TOR, as I didn't do it. 

With shipping, I would recommend getting a few quotes from the major international shipping companies such as Chess. It may be worth asking about a shared container. 

With regards storage, that will depend on when you return as shipping takes 6 to 8 weeks, so you may not need that much time if you are planning on heading back soon. 

Sorry to hear this has happened @Senfield

I completed the TOR over 2 years ago now and it was still being improved at that time, so hopefully it’s much better now!

There is a pinned thread in the uk part of the forum about just this. Have a look, I found it really helpful.

Unless it’s changed you need to do very low resolution attachments as the file size is tiny. You should get an instant reply that it has been received otherwise it meant they hadn’t got it.

I did a generic  list, like shoes and clothes, kitchen utensils etc, not a detailed list and I ended up taking much less than was on the list. I used  a large movecube so can’t help with container companies.

Others have travelled more recently so will hopefully be along to offer up to date advice.

Good luck with your move and I’m sure your family will be thrilled to have you home. It’s not all bad here, very autumnal at the moment!

👍

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Sorry to hear how this has happened. I can't help with TOR, as I didn't do it. 

With shipping, I would recommend getting a few quotes from the major international shipping companies such as Chess. It may be worth asking about a shared container. 

With regards storage, that will depend on when you return as shipping takes 6 to 8 weeks, so you may not need that much time if you are planning on heading back soon. 

Thank you for your feedback. Contract for sale of house completed 48 hrs after being put on market, 60 day settlement. All a bit overwhelming as it has happened so quickly.but time to move forward and start planning 🙂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Sorry to hear this has happened @Senfield

I completed the TOR over 2 years ago now and it was still being improved at that time, so hopefully it’s much better now!

There is a pinned thread in the uk part of the forum about just this. Have a look, I found it really helpful.

Unless it’s changed you need to do very low resolution attachments as the file size is tiny. You should get an instant reply that it has been received otherwise it meant they hadn’t got it.

I did a generic  list, like shoes and clothes, kitchen utensils etc, not a detailed list and I ended up taking much less than was on the list. I used  a large movecube so can’t help with container companies.

Others have travelled more recently so will hopefully be along to offer up to date advice.

Good luck with your move and I’m sure your family will be thrilled to have you home. It’s not all bad here, very autumnal at the moment!

👍

I will explore the other threads & hopefully the TOR is much more user friendly 🙂

Sorry to hear this has happened but now the decision is made, it's good that it's happening so fast - like ripping off a plaster, best to get it over with.  It will be great to be home.

I can't help with TOR or moving - I guess you don't have time to think about whether you could dispose of some items and just take a large Movecube instead.   It's hard to recommend a particular container shipper as they all subcontract anyway.  Good luck with it.

• Like 1

TOR completed & emailed, let’s hope it’s received, not recessing acknowledgement yet. Exemption applied for, stating not going to return. House contract sale & passport attached. Hopefully, that will be sufficient to being granted exemption. 

Email sent to Chess removals for a quote. Want to obtain 2 more but not sure who to contact!!!

just need the strength to deal with the emotional side of the move back with now ex partner wanting to stay. But it still feels the right decision.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Senfield said:

TOR completed & emailed, let’s hope it’s received, not recessing acknowledgement yet. Exemption applied for, stating not going to return. House contract sale & passport attached. Hopefully, that will be sufficient to being granted exemption. 

Email sent to Chess removals for a quote. Want to obtain 2 more but not sure who to contact!!!

just need the strength to deal with the emotional side of the move back with now ex partner wanting to stay. But it still feels the right decision.

Hi, I found the tor thread on here, it’s not a pinned thread anymore so had to search, but the last entry on that was Feb and they got an instant acknowledgment.....they sent it to :

nch.tor@hmrc.gov.u

Did you use this address? If not might be worth sending it.

When I did mine the email they gave didn’t send a response but I used another email that had been mentioned on here and it worked. That and reducing my file size. 🙄

Just some thoughts! 😀

12 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Hi, I found the tor thread on here, it’s not a pinned thread anymore so had to search, but the last entry on that was Feb and they got an instant acknowledgment.....they sent it to :

nch.tor@hmrc.gov.u

When I did mine the email they gave didn’t send a response but I used another email that had been mentioned on here and it worked. That and reducing my file size. 🙄

Just some thoughts! 😀

Hi, resent TOR info in two emails, as suggested by HMRC & received automatic response. 

Thank you 😊 

3 hours ago, Senfield said:

Absolutely 😊. Also received my exemption to leave Australia. 

Excellent.

It becomes easier if you look at each step rather than the whole process all at once I found. I made a list of everything I needed to do both in Australia and the UK and then just steadily ticked them off. At one point I was adding more things than I was ticking off but then one day everything was done. No more to do. Quite cathartic! 😎

• Like 1

So sorry to hear that it has come to this for you but I agree, the pace means it's more like ripping off the bandaid and that's good in the long run!  I can't be of much help with the moving either other than you might like to get a quote from Seven Seas. We used them for a move cube from UK to Australia and they were excellent from our point of view. If you can late down your belongings a bit (like ditch the big furniture) then a move cube could be the way to go. 

Good luck! I'm sure you'll love being back where you belong with the folk you belong with! 

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Senfield said:

I have received a removal quote from Allied Pickford which is reasonable. Just would like to know people’s experience of using this company!! 

P.S flight booked 😊

Yes, a very smooth experience moving from the UK to Aus and then again on the return.  But.......

1. this was a very long time ago and things can change
  2. if I remember correctly, Allied Pickford is a franchise business, so I don't know that experience with one franchisee will translate to another 

19 minutes ago, Senfield said:

Thanks for sharing your experience, I will do a bit more research 😊

We used KENT to move to the UK, and they were excellent.

When researching, try to find out who their UK partner is as well.

It also depends on what staff you get on the day too. We have experienced excellent and shocking service,  from the same company.

Good luck with your move.

Guest The Pom Queen

Oh @Senfield I’m so sorry to hear what you are going through. The emotional side must be draining but thankfully it sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy and once you get home and hug your children/grandson I’m sure you will realise that you made the right choice. Life is too short to be unhappy. Hugs x 

3 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Oh @Senfield I’m so sorry to hear what you are going through. The emotional side must be draining but thankfully it sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy and once you get home and hug your children/grandson I’m sure you will realise that you made the right choice. Life is too short to be unhappy. Hugs x 

I agree Pom Queen, life is too short to be unhappy. It’s such a painful dilemma to have either stay in your relationship but with an intense feeling of loneliness or go home alone but be at peace with yourself. 

At this point I still believe it’s the right decision. December is an interesting month to return, will definitely enjoy being home for Christmas 🤶 and hoping it won’t be too cold as I currently do not have a winter wardrobe coming from Qld 😂😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Senfield said:

I agree Pom Queen, life is too short to be unhappy. It’s such a painful dilemma to have either stay in your relationship but with an intense feeling of loneliness or go home alone but be at peace with yourself. 

At this point I still believe it’s the right decision. December is an interesting month to return, will definitely enjoy being home for Christmas 🤶 and hoping it won’t be too cold as I currently do not have a winter wardrobe coming from Qld 😂😂

When you land, pay a visit to Mountain Warehouse UK. You will be able to pick up a fabulous winter jacket / coat at a great price !

• Thanks 1

''I had to Google 'TOR' and then add 'HMRC' before it made any sense. Is that a new tax regulation? I went back for 12 years and all I remember is myy status changing from ' resident' to 'ordinarilly resident'  and remaining 'domiciled in Australia'. 

I thought perhaps you might have to wait until you'd been in the UK for a full tax year before worrying about establishing 'TOR?' Do they still use 'Domicile?' I retained domicile in Australia because I was living in my Dad's house whilst retaining my home in Australia.

Good luck with your move back. Each time I moved it was like emigrating all over again whichever country I was moving to. Strangely enough, moving from Sydney to Surfers Paradise has been completely painless. 

On 05/10/2020 at 08:49, Senfield said:

We used Chess. Britannia at this end and they were amazing!! Don’t get your insurance through them though. We used Letton Percival. I think they are mentioned on here somewhere. Good luck! 

On 05/10/2020 at 20:33, Amber Snowball said:

nch.tor@hmrc.gov.u

Just some thoughts! 😀

Received TOR ref number after 3 separate emails because their system could not cope with too many attachments in one email 😂