cbarbuto

Processing Times keep getting longer

Hi everyone, making this post in hoped of some reassurance. I am Aussie and applied for my wife's residency (offshore 309) back in March this year from the United States. The processing times have varied going down to 11 to 14 months back in April then it went up back down and now it's back up to 18 to 26 months making it a possible 32 months from the date we originally submitted the application. I am out of work here in the US, my wife is ok work wise however we are desperate to get to Australia as my parents are old and really need us there. My father is Type 1 diabetic and has a tough time driving to his check ups and there is no way he has 2 or 3 more years of driving in him while we are here waiting. If we knew it would be close to 3 years we would have applied on shore and stayed in Australia the last time we were there back in February. Can any one give reassurance, advice or tips about this or do we just keep waiting endlessly and not sure if we will ever get there. Thanks

5 hours ago, cbarbuto said:

Hi everyone, making this post in hoped of some reassurance. I am Aussie and applied for my wife's residency (offshore 309) back in March this year from the United States. The processing times have varied going down to 11 to 14 months back in April then it went up back down and now it's back up to 18 to 26 months making it a possible 32 months from the date we originally submitted the application

When they say "18 to 26 months", it just means that's the average time applications are taking to be processed, from submission to approval. It doesn't mean your application will take another 18 to 26 months.  It means your application will take somewhere between 18 and 26 months in total, from the date you applied.

You are more likely to be 18 months than 26 months, because those figures include applications from all over the world - and applications from "high risk" countries (like the Middle East) take a long time because of extra security checks. 

I suggest talking to a migration agent, because there might be a loophole you could exploit to get to Australia sooner, but you will need an agent to make sure you approach it just right. Talk to SunCoast Migration or Pinoy Australia and see what they say.

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

With the current travel restrictions, immigration are understandably finalising onshore applications. I have had many granted recently, but no movement on much older overseas applications.

• Like 1

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com

On 19/09/2020 at 17:49, Marisawright said:

When they say "18 to 26 months", it just means that's the average time applications are taking to be processed, from submission to approval. It doesn't mean your application will take another 18 to 26 months.  It means your application will take somewhere between 18 and 26 months in total, from the date you applied.

You are more likely to be 18 months than 26 months, because those figures include applications from all over the world - and applications from "high risk" countries (like the Middle East) take a long time because of extra security checks. 

I suggest talking to a migration agent, because there might be a loophole you could exploit to get to Australia sooner, but you will need an agent to make sure you approach it just right. Talk to SunCoast Migration or Pinoy Australia and see what they say.

Ok thanks Marissa

On 19/09/2020 at 22:09, wrussell said:

With the current travel restrictions, immigration are understandably finalising onshore applications. I have had many granted recently, but no movement on much older overseas applications.

Yes ok. Can you give any suggestions or should we just wait? 

8 minutes ago, cbarbuto said:

Yes ok. Can you give any suggestions or should we just wait? 

You could come to Australia now and your partner can come on a visitor visa. She'll need to apply for an exemption on the basis that she's your partner.  

Obviously, she won't be able to work on a visitor visa, so that is a downside - but then you'll be able to work, so maybe that's swings and roundabouts?  

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

22 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

You could come to Australia now and your partner can come on a visitor visa. She'll need to apply for an exemption on the basis that she's your partner.  

Obviously, she won't be able to work on a visitor visa, so that is a downside - but then you'll be able to work, so maybe that's swings and roundabouts?  

Yes that is a option we may do if it keeps dragging on for 2 years but we already paid for the off shore and we understand it’s not transferable to onshore so I allegedly we would have to pay the 8k again. 

33 minutes ago, cbarbuto said:

Yes that is a option we may do if it keeps dragging on for 2 years but we already paid for the off shore and we understand it’s not transferable to onshore so I allegedly we would have to pay the 8k again. 

I'm not suggesting you apply onshore.   She can visit Australia as often as she likes (on a visitor visa) while you're waiting for the offshore 309 to be approved.   If she happens to be onshore when it gets approved, she would just need to hop out of the country for a week or so,  so it can be awarded.

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I'm not suggesting you apply onshore.   She can visit Australia as often as she likes (on a visitor visa) while you're waiting for the offshore 309 to be approved.   If she happens to be onshore when it gets approved, she would just need to hop out of the country for a week or so,  so it can be awarded.

Ahhh I see. We did the medical and police so we could go to Aus and when it’s approved (is this done all through the Immi portal?) could she pop over to NZ potentially or Hawaii would be closer than Texas. Thanks so much 

2 hours ago, cbarbuto said:

Ahhh I see. We did the medical and police so we could go to Aus and when it’s approved (is this done all through the Immi portal?) could she pop over to NZ potentially or Hawaii would be closer than Texas. Thanks so much 

Yes