Phoebe147

Bringing my husband to Australia during Covid19 restrictions?

Hi all

We live in Singapore, my husband is British, I am an Oz citizen with a child who was born here earlier this year. We are desperate to come home to Australia but I am confused as to what to do about the visa needs for my husband to join us. We were wanting to apply for a onshore partner visa once we landed in Australia. DFAT is saying that immediate family members need a visa before they can arrive / travel to Australia. Does this mean we need to apply for a visitor visa to get to Australia and then the partner one once onshore? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Phoebe

He will need to get a visitor visa (as you normally would when arriving on holiday) and also apply for a travel exemption.   

Once you're in Australia, you can apply for an onshore partner visa and he will receive a bridging visa, which will allow him to stay in Australia until the partner visa is processed.  

• Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke