Lizziescho

Travel Exemption

We have recently started a business in Australia and want to head over to recruit a team based in Sydney and train them along with opening an office. We haven't applied for a visa as of yet, but planning on travelling over on a tourist visa for business purposes. Do anyone know if we would qualify for a travel exemption as we are creating jobs and business in NSW.

20 minutes ago, Lizziescho said:

We have recently started a business in Australia and want to head over to recruit a team based in Sydney and train them along with opening an office. We haven't applied for a visa as of yet, but planning on travelling over on a tourist visa for business purposes. Do anyone know if we would qualify for a travel exemption as we are creating jobs and business in NSW.

Business travel is a valid exemption reason, but that doesn't mean you will get one.  All you can do is apply and see what happens.  Your bigger challenge will be getting a flight - you will need to fly business or first class.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Am I missing something?  How can you start a business in Australia and recruit staff if you haven't got a visa?

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Toots said:

Am I missing something?  How can you start a business in Australia and recruit staff if you haven't got a visa?

Exactly what I thought.  Also, I’m sure you cannot do any kind of work whether paid or not on a tourist visa. I’m sure what the poster is planning would fall under work. 

• Like 2

On 18/09/2020 at 00:02, Toots said:

We have already created and started the business this year and it's currently being run from the UK. We want to head over to Australia to open the office and employ the customer service team. To apply for an exemption you don't need a visa, you just need it for travel once you have got the exemption. 

23 minutes ago, Lizziescho said:

To apply for an exemption you don't need a visa, you just need it for travel once you have got the exemption. 

You need to have at least applied for a visa otherwise you won’t get beyond page 1 of the exemption application form. 

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post.