491 visa processing time

Gary102

2 minutes ago, Gary102 said:

Hi All,

I’m currently in the EOI stage on the 491 visa. I think the process is currently closed due to the Covid situation.

Can anyone provide some info on this please. 

Cheers 

If you are offshore and don't have a "critical" occupation there is not much happening. The States have very limited capacity at the moment and this is generally being directed to onshore applicants.

1 minute ago, Gary102 said:

I know you can’t definitely give a time scale

True

1 minute ago, Gary102 said:

but do you know when they will start processing the visas again

when they start relaxing the travel restrictions ... but the backlog and/or pent up demand is building all the time.

I put in an EOI yesterday for a 491 state Tasmania, on the chance someone may read it and send me an invite!

I cant see anything happening until next year, Oz PM Morrison said he cant see international borders being open until summer 2021 and as mentioned above there will be a backlog, which is why I stuck my EOI in now.

10 years plus as a social worker with 70 points (my misses is going to do an English test so can get that boosted up to 80 points this year) , long shot I know but I'm keeping my fingers crossed Social Workers maybe needed and it may get put on the critical workers list possibly.

good luck!

1 hour ago, Jonny Curran said:

my misses is going to do an English test so can get that boosted up to 80 points this year

This won't score you an extra 10 points unless she also has a positive skills assessment for an appropriate occupation and she doesn't currently qualify for 'competent' English through her passport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2020 at 10:09, Fitter migrant said:

I've been waiting on a request for police checks and medicals for 7 months. I'm not hopeful that I'm gonna make it. How long can life be on hold. We got invited by NSW around January. Covid has really screwed us up. Its pretty upsetting TBH. 

When I got my grant (last year so before COVID) we got invited by NSW in March and didn;t get a case worker contact until October to ask for checks and medicals. So not that dissimilar to your timescale even though COVID wasn't even heard of then.

We did get our request in late October (as we did the meds during half term) and we had our grant first week in December.

Your current wait seems in line with what people have been experiencing for the last 3 or 4 years so maybe your agent just hasn't been setting your expectation properly about how long these take usually (never mind in COVID 2020)

You will always hear of people who get their grants in weeks of applying but these are few and far between, for most people it is an arduous wait. I consider my process quick in that from deciding we wanted to put in an application to getting a grant was under 10 months, but it basically consumed my life for the first 3 months collating information for my agent to submit.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

When I got my grant (last year so before COVID) we got invited by NSW in March and didn;t get a case worker contact until October to ask for checks and medicals. So not that dissimilar to your timescale even though COVID wasn't even heard of then.

We did get our request in late October (as we did the meds during half term) and we had our grant first week in December.

Your current wait seems in line with what people have been experiencing for the last 3 or 4 years so maybe your agent just hasn't been setting your expectation properly about how long these take usually (never mind in COVID 2020)

You will always hear of people who get their grants in weeks of applying but these are few and far between, for most people it is an arduous wait. I consider my process quick in that from deciding we wanted to put in an application to getting a grant was under 10 months, but it basically consumed my life for the first 3 months collating information for my agent to submit.

Are you looking to enter on a subclass 491 visa.

My partner and I submitted our EOI to SA the Friday before the financial year cut off (so that we didn't get scuppered by them no reopening the programme for obvious reasons) and were invited to apply on the following Tuesday.  Submitted the application and paid the fees on July 28th.  They have changed the process and requested medicals and police checks within 28 days.

These were submitted on August 24th.

Only just joined the forums and don't know anyone in this position, so don't know what to expect - other than the worst seeing as it is 2020.

4 hours ago, NicMan said:

Are you looking to enter on a subclass 491 visa.

My partner and I submitted our EOI to SA the Friday before the financial year cut off (so that we didn't get scuppered by them no reopening the programme for obvious reasons) and were invited to apply on the following Tuesday.  Submitted the application and paid the fees on July 28th.  They have changed the process and requested medicals and police checks within 28 days.

These were submitted on August 24th.

Only just joined the forums and don't know anyone in this position, so don't know what to expect - other than the worst seeing as it is 2020.

You’re in much the same position as myself and @AmyL

Similar time frame, our medicals were submitted in August. It’s just a waiting game. Tbh there’s no point them processing 491’s as they can’t gain entry to the country. The 5 years also starts ticking from the date of grant so that’s probably for the best!

I just feel really sorry for the people who’ve had them granted and can’t gain entry. It must be so frustrating and upsetting just seeing the time ticking down and it being out of your hands. I really do think the Australian government haven’t thought it through very well. 

2 minutes ago, Conyo2588 said:

Similar time frame, our medicals were submitted in August. It’s just a waiting game. Tbh there’s no point them processing 491’s as they can’t gain entry to the country. The 5 years also starts ticking from the date of grant so that’s probably for the best!

I just feel really sorry for the people who’ve had them granted and can’t gain entry. It must be so frustrating and upsetting just seeing the time ticking down and it being out of your hands. I really do think the Australian government haven’t thought it through very well. 

Like the majority of countries, I doubt they are really bothered about interests of non-citizens.  They've got to put the Aussies first.

Hopefully with this recent news of the late 2021 border opening timeline, they will look to allow migrants in with the same 2 week quarantine rule like they do for permanents and returning nationals.

Even with the outlay that it would involve, I would see it as worth the cost.

You are quite right about being on the clock, but unable to start logging the residency time, my agent has a number of people who are in that position.

I have heard that the Nurses registration body has been flexible with their deadline to present in Australia and are allowing extension after extension for the time being.

Just think of all those lovely jobs that will be going for us when we finally get over, especially if it's before all those on working holiday visas and students.

27 minutes ago, Conyo2588 said:

If you don't mind me asking, what occupation are you entering under, and which state is sponsoring you?

Unfortunately, although I've visited Australia a fair few times and done the obligatory backpacker year a while ago, I skipped Adelaide.

The plan was to have a trip over in November to get a feel for the place. Obviously that won't happen and it looks increasingly like the first visit to the area will be for the move.

Personally I'd see Coober Pedy as more desirable; compared to being stuck in limbo for the next 12 months.

1 hour ago, NicMan said:

If you don't mind me asking, what occupation are you entering under, and which state is sponsoring you?

Unfortunately, although I've visited Australia a fair few times and done the obligatory backpacker year a while ago, I skipped Adelaide.

The plan was to have a trip over in November to get a feel for the place. Obviously that won't happen and it looks increasingly like the first visit to the area will be for the move.

Personally I'd see Coober Pedy as more desirable; compared to being stuck in limbo for the next 12 months.

We’ve applied under my partners occupation. Wall and floor tiler. I’m an Accountant, the points were too high to apply under my occupation unfortunately.
We’re also on SA sponsorship. We’ve been to Perth, Melbourne, and a few places up the east coast ie Brisbane, but not Adelaide. If we do get granted a visa, it’s looking like the actual move would also be the first time we go to Adelaide and surrounding areas.

@Conyo2588 @NicMan Funny reading this as we are in pretty much the exact same situation! Got invited by SA and Submitted the Visa and completed Medicals on July 20th this year.

Recently our Application changed to show a processing time of 63 days to 3 months, do yours have a processing time now?

What parts of Adelaide/SA have you been looking at moving to?

1 hour ago, martnLFC said:

@Conyo2588 @NicMan Funny reading this as we are in pretty much the exact same situation! Got invited by SA and Submitted the Visa and completed Medicals on July 20th this year.

Recently our Application changed to show a processing time of 63 days to 3 months, do yours have a processing time now?

Haven’t checked for a processing time yet. It’s only been about six weeks. I will check in with the agent at the end of the month and see what the crack is.

The ideal timescale for us is June next year anyway.

We haven’t looked too much into areas tbh. Up until the second spikes around the world we were hoping to head out to do some fact finding before the move. 

If anyone has any knowledge on areas to avoid then feel free to share. 

We’ve been advised to avoid above Port Adelaide and below Happy Valley, also avoid: Elizabeth, Mansfield Park, Angle Park, Hackham, Noarlunga, Huntfield Heights and anywhere with the name Downs in. 
We haven’t visited these places yet but it’s advice off somebody who lives there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/10/2020 at 20:51, martnLFC said:

On 09/10/2020 at 17:53, Conyo2588 said:

We’ve applied under my partners occupation. Wall and floor tiler. I’m an Accountant, the points were too high to apply under my occupation unfortunately.
We’re also on SA sponsorship. We’ve been to Perth, Melbourne, and a few places up the east coast ie Brisbane, but not Adelaide. If we do get granted a visa, it’s looking like the actual move would also be the first time we go to Adelaide and surrounding areas.

@Conyo2588 @martnLFC

Weird thing happened on Monday, I contacted my agent for an update (she has all the log in details so I couldn't check the status) and she came back saying that we hadn't even got a case manager yet and shouldn't expect anything for a couple of months at least.

She rang me yesterday lunchtime to say that they had, just then, emailed with the visa grant.

0-60 in less than 24 hours it seems.

Have either of you had any progress?

We are now need to assess our timescales and maybe look at the exemption application for next year if no avenues into the country open up.

Edited by NicMan
submitted before completed comment

1 hour ago, NicMan said:

@Conyo2588 @martnLFC

Weird thing happened on Monday, I contacted my agent for an update (she has all the log in details so I couldn't check the status) and she came back saying that we hadn't even got a case manager yet and shouldn't expect anything for a couple of months at least.

She rang me yesterday lunchtime to say that they had, just then, emailed with the visa grant.

We are now need to assess our timescales and maybe look at the exemption application for next year if no avenues into the country open up.

Just goes to show, immigration is different for everyone and the experience/time others see will not necessarily have any resemblance to your journey

1 hour ago, NicMan said:

@Conyo2588 @martnLFC

Congrats - so granted an offshore 491? What occupation, please?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NicMan said:

@Conyo2588 @martnLFC

Congratulations! I’m assuming you have an occupation on their critical skills list?

Keep us updated on your journey progress!

Exciting times for you 🍾

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paulhand said:

Congrats - so granted an offshore 491? What occupation, please?

Hi Paul

My son was granted a 491 visa as a skilled plumber (queensland) back in january, do you have any idea if they will extend the 5 year needed to earn the aquired amount per year as he will only have 3 years estimated to hit the target.

3 minutes ago, Conyo2588 said:

Congratulations! I’m assuming you have an occupation on their critical skills list?

Keep us updated on your journey progress!

Exciting times for you 🍾

Cheers, saving the champagne for when there's an avenue into the country. 

We've got until October next year to activate, which brings up it's own challenges.