Extension to Initial Entry Date? - Partner (subclass 100) visa

megan987

Hey all,

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation but hoping someone might be able to share some advice. 

My Partner visa (subclass 100 + 309 - issued at the same time) came through on the 5th March (2 weeks before UK lockdown). We started the process of selling our home, it's all going through now (husband also lost his job and we managed to find a buyer during lockdown!) We should be sold by the end of October. My initial entry date is 5th March 2021. We have read so many horrifying reports of people being stranded in the UK and unable to fly home to Australia. 100,000 people trying to get home, airlines constantly bumping passengers, the daily caps being reached and people turned away at the airport, roughly 6 months to fly those registered home? We don't have 6 months as my visa will expire before I have activated it. I have contacted the DHA and they have given me an email address to request a facilitation letter which will 'potentially' extend this IED. 

I guess I just wondered is anyone else in the same situation? Any advice? We've had a few heavy conversations recently thinking we may need to give up on our dream of Australia for now and try again in a few years when all this has calmed down (hopefully). It is seemingly getting more and more impossible to get to Australia and we've almost lost hope. 

Thanks, Meg

You don't have to enter until March, so you're in a better situation than many.   While travel restrictions are likely to remain in place till mid-2021, there's a lot of talk about the need to lift the cap on arrivals because of all the problems it's creating, so I feel optimistic that it will be easier to fly by then.

At the moment, you would need to fly business class to have any confidence of getting seats in October.

40 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

There was tak of doubling the WA entry limit from 550 to 1050 yesterday from the federal govt, although the WA premier denied any knowledge of it.  I think they will have to fix this issue.  Surley hotel chains are keen to seperate travellers from their money.

We saw this news this morning! It is hopeful. If Sydney are willing to up their in take surely QLD and other states will have to do their bit too. Fingers crossed! 

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

You don't have to enter until March, so you're in a better situation than many.   While travel restrictions are likely to remain in place till mid-2021, there's a lot of talk about the need to lift the cap on arrivals because of all the problems it's creating, so I feel optimistic that it will be easier to fly by then.

At the moment, you would need to fly business class to have any confidence of getting seats in October.

I will try and join you in your optimism that things will get easier. I hope the growing pressure on the government forces them to take action. 

Unfortunately business class is not an option for us... we have 3 small boys who would need to come with me.