Is the UK’s weather massively underrated?

Red Rose

4 hours ago, newjez said:

Personally I think this is what makes poms in Oz so fantastic. The people's of two great nations slagging each others weather off to justify their migration decisions.

I often have conversations with my mum in Perth where I tell her the weather is freezing, and she tells me she could never live in freezing weather again. I ask her what she has done all day, and she tells me she has been stuck inside all day because it's been an absolute scorcher.

Both nation's get a bit of extreme weather for a short period of time. It's really not that bad and not that different.

Probably rains more often in the UK and less often but rains harder in Australia. Although it feels like UK rain is becoming more Australian like.

But to be honest, I can cope perfectly fine with the weather of both countries.

I don't particularly like being cold - my favourite season in both hemispheres is Spring

• Like 1

For a relatively small island the weather in the UK can be surprisingly diverse and depend on location. A few years ago Very Stormy and I posted photos taken on the same day - his was of a very snowy street in Scotland, mine was our flowering cherry tree against a beautiful blue sky. It is partly that unpredictable element that triggers conversations, plus the fact that the seasons here are rarely four distinct blocks of weather. Freezing cold and icy conditions are no longer guaranteed each winter. I have photos of us sitting on a local beach on New Year's Day two years ago dressed in T shirts, and I remember thinking  I should have put a bottle of suncream in my bag it was so warm and sunny. I guess the UK weather system will not suit everyone but if you are happy to take the weather as it comes, to plan for the unpredictable and go with the flow, chances are it will never be too hot, too cold or too windy for too long. And personally I do prefer that. T x

• Like 3

8 hours ago, newjez said:

Personally I think this is what makes poms in Oz so fantastic. The people's of two great nations slagging each others weather off to justify their migration decisions.

I often have conversations with my mum in Perth where I tell her the weather is freezing, and she tells me she could never live in freezing weather again. I ask her what she has done all day, and she tells me she has been stuck inside all day because it's been an absolute scorcher.

Both nation's get a bit of extreme weather for a short period of time. It's really not that bad and not that different.

Probably rains more often in the UK and less often but rains harder in Australia. Although it feels like UK rain is becoming more Australian like.

Perfectly said.  I couldn’t agree more.  Neither extremities are pleasant and most would prefer comfortable rather than freezing or boiling.  I have family in Perth too and they joke about when it’s so hot you try and find as much shade as possible when out and pop into shops regularly just for a blast of air con. One of my sons works outside and makes me laugh when he says on hot days when he gets home he opens the freezer and just stands in front of it for a while. He’s not moaning, it’s all good humour and he’d say the same if he was working in cold conditions, it would just be in the shops for warmth and standing with your bum against the radiator when you got home. This week has been bitter here and it does make your face sting a bit but we cope. It can’t be all that bad as countries like Norway and Canada regularly are in the top countries with the highest standard of living in the world and they really are cold, the UK winters are mild in comparison. Just goes to show that it isn’t a major factor for a good life. I don’t like it this cold though and I’m looking forward to the spring/summer but it’s not a disaster. I think it would be very hard living in a country that had inadequate heating systems.  We all lucky that our workplace, homes and shops are all toasty. Some countries have far lower temperatures than ours but without the comfort of heating, that must be harsh. I do feel sad for the homeless out in this, it must be horrible for them.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, newjez said:

I often have conversations with my mum in Perth where I tell her the weather is freezing, and she tells me she could never live in freezing weather again. I ask her what she has done all day, and she tells me she has been stuck inside all day because it's been an absolute scorcher....

That was true for me when I was younger.   These days, there is a limit to how much clothing I can take off without scaring the horses.   So when the weather gets hot, I'm more likely to be stuck indoors now.  Whereas it's always possible to add another thermal, so I'm more likely to be outdoors in the cold, unless it's absolutely freezing.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, tea4too said:

For a relatively small island the weather in the UK can be surprisingly diverse and depend on location. A few years ago Very Stormy and I posted photos taken on the same day - his was of a very snowy street in Scotland, mine was our flowering cherry tree against a beautiful blue sky. It is partly that unpredictable element that triggers conversations, plus the fact that the seasons here are rarely four distinct blocks of weather. Freezing cold and icy conditions are no longer guaranteed each winter. I have photos of us sitting on a local beach on New Year's Day two years ago dressed in T shirts, and I remember thinking  I should have put a bottle of suncream in my bag it was so warm and sunny. I guess the UK weather system will not suit everyone but if you are happy to take the weather as it comes, to plan for the unpredictable and go with the flow, chances are it will never be too hot, too cold or too windy for too long. And personally I do prefer that. T x

Just like Tasmania.  😁  The hottest day we've had this summer in our area was 27.5C.  The average temp is 22C during summer.  Elsewhere was a lot hotter.  Winter days usually manage to creep into double digits but can be very cold at night.  Can't really complain too much about the weather here.  Eldest son is in New York and he is over the weather there.  Bitter during winter and stinking hot in the summer.  We visited him a couple of years ago in the autumn and it was lovely.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

That was true for me when I was younger.   These days, there is a limit to how much clothing I can take off without scaring the horses.   So when the weather gets hot, I'm more likely to be stuck indoors now.  Whereas it's always possible to add another thermal, so I'm more likely to be outdoors in the cold, unless it's absolutely freezing.  

I am outside for a large part of the day every day.  During summer, I wear 100% light cotton 3/4 sleeve length loose fitting shirts  and cotton Thai fishermen pants   .................  I don't care what I look like  😉  and nobody else here cares either.  I wear sunglasses and a sunhat.  If I don't wear the sunhat, I put 30 SPF suncream on my face.  Don't bother putting it anywhere else.  I'm an old chook but my skin is OK.  No problems with skin cancer  ..............  have it checked every year.  My OH worked outside and was always careful in the sun and he is also OK after the checks.  I don't bother putting any suncream on (except for my face) when I go swimming most days in the sea.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Toots said:

I am outside for a large part of the day every day.  During summer, I wear 100% light cotton 3/4 sleeve length loose fitting shirts  and cotton Thai fishermen pants   .................  I don't care what I look like  😉  and nobody else here cares either.  I wear sunglasses and a sunhat.  If I don't wear the sunhat, I put 30 SPF suncream on my face.  Don't bother putting it anywhere else.  I'm an old chook but my skin is OK.  No problems with skin cancer  ..............  have it checked every year.  My OH worked outside and was always careful in the sun and he is also OK after the checks.  I don't bother putting any suncream on (except for my face) when I go swimming most days in the sea.

What's the sea temp like there Toots?

7 minutes ago, Bobj said:

According to windy.com, it is19 c at Devonport and 28 c in downtown Ball Bay

Cheers, Bobj.

That's a bit cool for me Bob. Me and my eldest son have the Rottnest swim Saturday. Been out for a practice off the boat this morning, bit strange swimming a fair way out but the sea temp was fine. 25c or therebouts. Gets a bit colder half way to Rotto my son tells me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

That's a bit cool for me Bob. Me and my eldest son have the Rottnest swim Saturday. Been out for a practice off the boat this morning, bit strange swimming a fair way out but the sea temp was fine. 25c or therebouts. Gets a bit colder half way to Rotto my son tells me.

Be careful. According to press reports over the last week off the Western Australian coast, there has been more than 20 shark sightings, with 11 of those being off Rottnest Island.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Red Rose said:

Be careful. According to press reports over the last week off the Western Australian coast, there has been more than 20 shark sightings, with 11 of those being off Rottnest Island.

I know. There seems to be an awful lot more round this season, guy got attacked in the river by a bull shark couple of weeks ago.

About 2,500 swimmers though so safety in numbers and hope the shark spotting helicopter guys are on their game.😎

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Arrived back in the UK on May 1st.  Apparently it’s been a really dreadful month weather wise but today was lovely.  Fingers crossed it continues.

2C386044-D520-4A1F-8054-96AB3DD33925.jpeg

No rain in April.

Nothing but rain in may.

June is looking nice.

8 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

I saw sky news this morning. Forecasting the hottest day of the year for you guys, chance of a nice long weekend too. There'll be stories of climate change and water shortages by Monday.😆

Only from those that don’t understand the difference between climate and weather…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 31/05/2021 at 17:52, Cup Final 1973 said:

What I can’t understand is why 20 degrees in Yorkshire is so much warmer than 20 degrees in Victoria!😎

Feeling cold on the Sunshine Coast 22’ wearing long trousers warm top and jerkin. Heating on from 5pm

• Like 1