Is the UK’s weather massively underrated?

Red Rose

43 minutes ago, ramot said:

I wonder if there is an opposite syndrome to the SAD syndrome? I like a warm consistent sunny climate with blue skies, 🌞and after the last three  3 days of dull wet  weather grey cloudy skies 🌧 ☔️ with no sign of the sun  I am already depressed!! 

Same here Ramot, 3 days now with no real sun !

Cal x

• Like 1

Very cold here.  I went for a long walk this morning.   It was minus 2 when I set off and reached an impressive minus 1 by the time I reached home.  The fog and mist across the fields did look lovely and a bit spooky.  A warm, sunny day would have been nicer.  Back home now in the warm having a cup of tea and a packet of Jaffa cakes. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ramot said:

I wonder if there is an opposite syndrome to the SAD syndrome? I like a warm consistent sunny climate with blue skies, 🌞and after the last three  3 days of dull wet  weather grey cloudy skies 🌧 ☔️ with no sign of the sun  I am already depressed!! 

It's been lovely, sunny and warm here.  I get a bit fed up of anything over 3 days of dull, grey, wet weather during the winter here. Thankfully it doesn't happen too often.  i prefer when it buckets down for a couple of days then clears up for a week or so until the next low appears on the horizon.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 10:21, FatCat said:

🙂

Speak for yourself!

Every day was the same: blue sky, no clouds, big yellow blazing ball of sun, day after day after day

SOUNDS PERFECT TO ME............

I absolutely adore that kind of weather, and makes me feel happy to live in that environment

If I wanted to experience British weather again. I would return to Britain or live in Melbourne.

Funny actually. I adore hot weather. But my Aussie work colleague hates hot weather and is quite irritable in it, she is really only contented in winter or rain. I say we must have both been born in the wrong countries.

🙂

I don't like HOT weather but then again I don't like freezing cold weather and snow either.   Where I live now suits me fine.  Winters are cold but not freezing and summers are warm.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ramot said:

Wouldn't that be the same as the SAD syndrome?   I thought SAD was all about feeling depressed when it's gloomy outside. 

If you mean that people who hate hot weather have the opposite - no, I don't think so. I hate hot weather but it doesn't make me feel depressed in the slightest.   I know a few people who dislike hot weather and it doesn't make them depressed either.  It's not a mental thing, it's a physical thing. 

If anything, hot weather makes me feel frustrated - because I can still look out at the beautiful blue sky and think, how gorgeous, I'd love to be out there.  But I know if I did go out there, I'd have sweat dripping off my nose in no time, my fingers would blow up like sausages and if I persisted, I'd eventually feel physically ill.   

Edited by Marisawright

2 hours ago, Toots said:

I don't like HOT weather but then again I don't like freezing cold weather and snow either.   Where I live now suits me fine.  Winters are cold but not freezing and summers are warm.

That's one reason I'm enjoying Melbourne.  People say,  "Oh, but Melbourne gets hot too!"   It does, but only over a few weeks in summer, and even then, only in the afternoons.

It's 32 degrees today.  On a 32 degree day in Sydney, it would be 29 degrees by 10am, and it would stay hot and sticky till bedtime (unless there was a thunderstorm to clear the air).  Whereas here in Melbourne,  I went out for a walk this morning and at 11am, it was still only 23 degrees, with a nice cooling breeze.  It'll cool down again in late evening so I'll get a good night's sleep, too. 

19 hours ago, ramot said:

I think so - I have it and apparently my granddaughter has it too.  No idea what it is called and because it isnt having a dig at Britain's "pathetic" weather, nobody will be bothered to name it.  Day after day of relentless blue sky really does add to my depression.  If it has the odd cloud then it isnt quite so bad.  I hadn't talked about it with my granddaughter at all (happy face and all that) but she raised it with me one day.  I think, for her at least, it heralds bushfires and as they lost everything in a bushfire a few years ago that freaks her out.  I noticed it first towards the end of the last big drought (which broke here on Valentines Day - 2010 I think) every day the relentless blue sky, watching the bom site for the little blue dots to presage rain (they always split before they got to us) every day just to get some relief which never came.  I can see why droughts lead farmers to suicide.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

I think so - I have it and apparently my granddaughter has it too.  No idea what it is called and because it isnt having a dig at Britain's "pathetic" weather, nobody will be bothered to name it.  Day after day of relentless blue sky really does add to my depression.  If it has the odd cloud then it isnt quite so bad.  I hadn't talked about it with my granddaughter at all (happy face and all that) but she raised it with me one day.  I think, for her at least, it heralds bushfires and as they lost everything in a bushfire a few years ago that freaks her out.  I noticed it first towards the end of the last big drought (which broke here on Valentines Day - 2010 I think) every day the relentless blue sky, watching the bom site for the little blue dots to presage rain (they always split before they got to us) every day just to get some relief which never came.  I can see why droughts lead farmers to suicide.

Used to call October suicide month in Zambia waiting for the rains to start.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Wouldn't that be the same as the SAD syndrome?   I thought SAD was all about feeling depressed when it's gloomy outside. 

If you mean that people who hate hot weather have the opposite - no, I don't think so. I hate hot weather but it doesn't make me feel depressed in the slightest.   I know a few people who dislike hot weather and it doesn't make them depressed either.  It's not a mental thing, it's a physical thing. 

If anything, hot weather makes me feel frustrated - because I can still look out at the beautiful blue sky and think, how gorgeous, I'd love to be out there.  But I know if I did go out there, I'd have sweat dripping off my nose in no time, my fingers would blow up like sausages and if I persisted, I'd eventually feel physically ill.   

Apparently SAD can also affect some people during summer months.  "Some studies have shown that in countries near the equator – such as India – summer SAD is more common than winter SAD. Why do seasonal changes cause depression? Experts aren’t sure but the longer days, and increasing heat and humidity may play a role." 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Quoll said:

People must think I'm mad, but I *hated* the  endless blue skies / blazing yellow sun in Perth...not only did I find it dull, but everyone seemed to look 10 years older because of it. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Toots said:

Apparently SAD can also affect some people during summer months.  "Some studies have shown that in countries near the equator – such as India – summer SAD is more common than winter SAD. Why do seasonal changes cause depression? Experts aren’t sure but the longer days, and increasing heat and humidity may play a role." 

I did some googling and found that too. Apparently about 10% of SAD cases are Summer SAD.  One report I saw was from a bloke who was a psychologist who had it and who was perplexed by it too. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ramot said:

Used to call October suicide month in Zambia waiting for the rains to start.

A number of years ago I attended a friend's wedding in Kerala, India.  It was June during the buildup to monsoon.  The heat and humidity was horrendous.  I vowed I'd never whinge about the weather in Australia or anywhere else again  ..................   but of course I did.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 20/09/2020 at 05:39, Home and Happy said:

True..when we left U.K. we thought we would be out in the Perth sun every day, but sadly the novelty wore off within weeks.  We are out far more in the U.K.  Live up on a hill above a beautiful village, amazing country walks, forest walks, great village pub serving great beer and home cooked food and in winter they have a rip roaring open fire on the go and I love nothing more than sitting by that fire with a brandy or a malt whisky and pint of Tennents on a cold evening.  A short drive away, we have a big town with a 24 hour supermarket, great pubs, live venues, great shops, clubs for our hobbies (impossible to find down there). After 8 years on a baking hot suburb bored to death,  the U.K.feels like the greatest place ever.

Oh... your words sounded just how i feel although I've now been 32 years! Would give anything to go home. I have always pulled myself together and found the next thing to keep me going but just don't want to do that anymore. Your life back home sounds just perfect to me. Im sitting writing this on a very hot night in Melbourne thinking i am so over this heat and the boredom of the suburbs, there is just nothing to describe it is there.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2021 at 22:59, scousers said:

Oh... your words sounded just how i feel although I've now been 32 years! Would give anything to go home. I have always pulled myself together and found the next thing to keep me going but just don't want to do that anymore. Your life back home sounds just perfect to me. Im sitting writing this on a very hot night in Melbourne thinking i am so over this heat and the boredom of the suburbs, there is just nothing to describe it is there.

So why haven’t you moved from Melbourne suburbs?  I spent 2 years there in the 70’s and the only places I can think of as worse are Darwin and Rockhampton. These comments never make sense...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bulya said:

So why haven’t you moved from Melbourne suburbs?  I spent 2 years there in the 70’s and the only places I can think of as worse are Darwin and Rockhampton. These comments never make sense...

All my family followed me here, then i had a daughter here. They all wanted to stay here at the start which i didn't,  as time went on i guess i gave in to them. Now hubby and daughter would rather stay here permanently but just dont think i can, its got harder and harder. Currently looking after very elderly parents who live 2 mins away.  Once they are no longer around i don't think i will be able to do it then.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2020 at 07:43, Chortlepuss said:

When I moved to Brisbane 13 years ago, a primary motivation was the climate. I loved it at first and still enjoy the winters here. I have been back to SE UK a number of times, including once for a year. I was never really hampered by the weather in the UK  (once too chicken to drive in light snow). A key reason for me to return to UK now would be climate. I dread the summer here and all the constraints it imposes (aircon, driving, staying inside). The idea of throwing on sturdy boots and a warm jacket to go for a brisk walk followed by some decent beer in a welcoming pub now seems like a distant fantasy. I never dreamed UK winters could be preferable to Qld summers! I think I needed to get my craving for heat out of my system and would love to retire back home but sadly trapped here by family commitments 

Sounds very familiar, would love to return to UK. I was there in nov and feb 2018-2019 the weather was fine!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parley said:

If below zero is fine then ok.

No way would i consider that weather fine.

Fine probably meant it wasn't raining Parley.

From where my folks used to live you could see Ashover Rock, a local landmark, from the kitchen window. It was maybe 10 miles away. My Mum used to say if you can see Ashover rock it's going to rain, if you can't see it it's raining.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have visited UK for about 3 months almost every year for the last 18 years, so I have good knowledge of the weather rather than judging  it on an occasional rare visit.

Spring and autumn can be lovely,, apart from a visit a few years ago, it was the coldest March for 50 years, and it was cold.

Then This photo was taken in December 10 years ago, pavements and roads frozen and icy, certainly colder than 8’ scared silly in case of falling and breaking something.  This winter appears to have been pretty miserable, wet snowy and cold according to my son and friends.

I try to avoid summer because England doesn’t cater for heatwaves, hardly any one has even got fans, and then it makes me laugh seeing everyone stripped off in 16’ sunbathing desperate for the sun, when I am wearing a jumper and trousers. 

Probably gather the weather has not impressed me on many of my visits.

A66CEAAB-D72B-41FC-8A11-E1B48CA54E35.jpeg

34B98F40-4296-4D7C-88BD-22F97ED33652.jpeg

• Like 3

On 10/01/2021 at 20:29, Red Rose said:

People must think I'm mad, but I *hated* the  endless blue skies / blazing yellow sun in Perth...not only did I find it dull, but everyone seemed to look 10 years older because of it. 

I couldnt agree more.  I am not a sun worshipper by any means,  I keep our internal shutters closed until the evenings to block it out lol. Younger people seem to respect their skin more because I dont see the crepe sun kissed faces as much as on the older generations from time to time!

Personally I think this is what makes poms in Oz so fantastic. The people's of two great nations slagging each others weather off to justify their migration decisions.

I often have conversations with my mum in Perth where I tell her the weather is freezing, and she tells me she could never live in freezing weather again. I ask her what she has done all day, and she tells me she has been stuck inside all day because it's been an absolute scorcher.

Both nation's get a bit of extreme weather for a short period of time. It's really not that bad and not that different.

Probably rains more often in the UK and less often but rains harder in Australia. Although it feels like UK rain is becoming more Australian like.

But to be honest, I can cope perfectly fine with the weather of both countries.

• Like 3