Is the UK’s weather massively underrated?

Red Rose

1 hour ago, Toots said:

@ramot and @calNgary  ..................  22C is my favourite temp!  Today here in Devonport it's 15C and I'm in jeans and a shirt - no warm top needed.  Cloudless sky and no wind.  Lovely.  That's why I prefer living here and you both prefer QLD. 😃

Stunning day here as well, only need the fleece on in the shade, as it feels much colder out of the sun. We locals smile at visitors as while we thin blooded Queenslanders are rugged up, they are sunbathing in bikinis on the beach.

7C934A07-1FC6-44F8-9B61-83DAE8015FA4.jpeg

• Like 4

Anyway ...... back to OP ....... hopefully not speaking too soon,  but the weather in the UK is beautiful just now and has been for a few days . The garden is looking good, the sky is blue and clear apart from the odd fluffy  cloud, and it's lovely to sit out in the evening watching the bats swoop above our heads! Mid June should be the longest day but for now  it still seems  pretty light at nearly 10.00pm. Happy days 😎 T x

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, tea4too said:

Anyway ...... back to OP ....... hopefully not speaking too soon,  but the weather in the UK is beautiful just now and has been for a few days . The garden is looking good, the sky is blue and clear apart from the odd fluffy  cloud, and it's lovely to sit out in the evening watching the bats swoop above our heads! Mid June should be the longest day but for now  it still seems  pretty light at nearly 10.00pm. Happy days 😎 T x

Actually, it's raining.

But it's been a nice week.

9 hours ago, Toots said:

@ramot and @calNgary  ..................  22C is my favourite temp!  Today here in Devonport it's 15C and I'm in jeans and a shirt - no warm top needed.  Cloudless sky and no wind.  Lovely.  That's why I prefer living here and you both prefer QLD. 😃

22C should be classified by the UN as the comparative benchmark as the most pleasant temperature for people worldwide. Especially if people world wide are drinking chardonnay. At 22C Chardy is ready to drink, not too warm and not too cool.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Too cold.

27 to 30 is ideal here in SA as long as it cools down overnight ( which it does in the hills). Dry heat is much easier to live with. 
22 and I still have a cardi on!

It is ❄️ winter though, so a ☀️ sunny 22 is not bad

• Like 1

🤦‍♀️Is there a weather thread in Aussie Chat? While I have a passing interest in the climate and temperatures across Australia, I wouldn't have thought UK Chat was the best or most appropriate part of the forum for entire conversations on the subject. T x 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 03/06/2021 at 18:13, ramot said:

Feeling cold on the Sunshine Coast 22’ wearing long trousers warm top and jerkin. Heating on from 5pm

😀    When I went for a swim at 2 yesterday afternoon the official temperature  in Hobart was 8.7 C and the "feels like" temp was 0.6.  (We do wind chill factor really well.  🙄 )

Fortunately my swim was in a covered, heated pool (although, during my Covid lockdown beach walks a year ago, I did see some people swimming in the sea - in wetsuits - in the same sort of conditions.  😬)

13 minutes ago, Skani said:

😀    When I went for a swim at 2 yesterday afternoon the official temperature  in Hobart was 8.7 C and the "feels like" temp was 0.6.  (We do wind chill factor really well.  🙄 )

Fortunately my swim was in a covered, heated pool (although, during my Covid lockdown beach walks a year ago, I did see some people swimming in the sea - in wetsuits - in the same sort of conditions.  😬)

Apparently if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger.

22 hours ago, newjez said:

Actually, it's raining.

But it's been a nice week.

😁 You sound like my Mum, Jez. She was mightily miffed when she rang yesterday and I told her I'd got three loads of washing dry and needed to water the pots! But it just goes to show that for a relatively small landmass,  the UK can experience very different weather at any given time. Lovely blue skies and warm sunshine here again today though - hope it's a bit drier for you. T x

2 hours ago, tea4too said:

😁 You sound like my Mum, Jez. She was mightily miffed when she rang yesterday and I told her I'd got three loads of washing dry and needed to water the pots! But it just goes to show that for a relatively small landmass,  the UK can experience very different weather at any given time. Lovely blue skies and warm sunshine here again today though - hope it's a bit drier for you. T x

That's the UK for you, for such a small island, we're extremely diverse, which is what makes it interesting. There can't many other countries in the world which have such diverse accents too across such a small landmass, but that's a different topic entirely....! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tea4too said:

Pouring down yesterday, foggy this morning, couldn't see the back fence, warm with brilliant sunshine today. Don't mind the odd day of rain. Keeps the garden looking good.

• 7 months later...
On 20/09/2020 at 05:39, Home and Happy said:

True..when we left U.K. we thought we would be out in the Perth sun every day, but sadly the novelty wore off within weeks.  We are out far more in the U.K.  Live up on a hill above a beautiful village, amazing country walks, forest walks, great village pub serving great beer and home cooked food and in winter they have a rip roaring open fire on the go and I love nothing more than sitting by that fire with a brandy or a malt whisky and pint of Tennents on a cold evening.  A short drive away, we have a big town with a 24 hour supermarket, great pubs, live venues, great shops, clubs for our hobbies (impossible to find down there). After 8 years on a baking hot suburb bored to death,  the U.K.feels like the greatest place ever.

Where in scotland?

10 hours ago, s713 said:

1 day rain here NW England this week. Enjoying the weather to be honest. Crisp and sunny till mid-afternoon, perfect walking weather. Anyone moaning about this for winter is a loon IMO.

We’ve had no rain for weeks in South Yorkshire.  Overnight temperatures often down to zero so we have frost sparkling on the grass each morning but my memories of dark dismal winter days are not true.  I’ve been very surprised by how much blue sky and sun we’ve had throughout January.  Yes it’s cold, 9 degrees today …. 🥶 but my North-East genes are kicking in again!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

We’ve had no rain for weeks in South Yorkshire.  Overnight temperatures often down to zero so we have frost sparkling on the grass each morning but my memories of dark dismal winter days are not true.  I’ve been very surprised by how much blue sky and sun we’ve had throughout January.  Yes it’s cold, 9 degrees today …. 🥶 but my North-East genes are kicking in again!  

We haven't had much rain in the south for two weeks now. Cold, but lovely in the sun. Been walking most days.

Did have a bit of rain a few weeks back. But it seemed to rain mostly at night. Did make some of the footpaths impassable without wellies. But we have our winter walking paths which are fine. I don't do mud. 

One of the best winters we've had. But I am longing for warmer weather now Xmas is over.