Cost of moving to Oz

Corrina

On 05/12/2020 at 04:20, Lavers said:

Theres 1 big advantage in Aus which makes up for your shorter annual leave, and that is your long service leave(if you make it).

Did 22 years at my company in the UK and got no extra benefits.

I took mine last year, it was great. I know lots of people in Perth who take it, if you work for WA Health you take it with you when you move jobs (or to other Government departments). The other option we have is to purchase extra leave which many people do.

On 05/12/2020 at 07:20, Lavers said:

Theres 1 big advantage in Aus which makes up for your shorter annual leave, and that is your long service leave(if you make it).

Did 22 years at my company in the UK and got no extra benefits.

One thing I noticed is that in Aus although you get less annual leave they are more relaxed with rolling it over to the next year to let it accumulate. My company in the UK had a 'use it or lose it policy' but I have bought some holiday here and let it roll over so after 3 years of being here I am going into next year with 30days ish.

I'm sure it's different in other companies, but I find here that my Australian colleagues have one year with minimal leave in order to build up for a good 3-4 week break to Europe the year after. 

• Like 2

On 14/12/2020 at 13:54, Lavers said:

We could roll over a couple in the UK, but yeah I can have a day off and make the time up here.

You do get extra public holidays in Aus, and it makes me laugh how they have the queens birthday off.

Perhaps one of the few formal, but tenuous links to the UK culture.  A long weekend holiday, 

Celebrate it while you can..    

• Like 1

On 16/12/2020 at 18:19, starlight7 said:

It’s rubbish because it isn’t even her real birthday. I have never understood it but I guess any excuse for a holiday.

It's not even on the same date in all states. While for most States it will be on Monday 14th June 2021 (which is the Monday after Trooping the Colour when the UK marks her official birthday), in QLD it will be on Monday 4th October and WA Monday 27th September.

The UK celebrates the sovereign's birthday in June regardless of when the sovereign was born because that's when the days are longest (in the Northern Hemisphere) for setting up the parade. It dates back to George II who's actual Birthday (9th November 1683) was considered unsuitable for the parade which was first held to celebrate his official birthday in June 1748.

• 4 weeks later...

If it helps I mapped my spending last year into categories,  a full breakdown, I am a frugal kind of person though. It's not totally the best guide given we stayed home a lot last year and fuel was super cheap. PM me if you would like a copy. You seem to have your mind set on the move, persistence and hard work can make the difference. 

We moved out almost 7 years ago with a small child and two early teens. It's been great to show them a different world. they have done great from the move. We are starting to consider returning home, we have a reasonable life here but it is just not for us long term (the characterless suburbs,  lack of choice,  refusal to progress/innovate, and there is only so many times you can see a beach) the kicker our two elder kids are young adults and have decided their lives are here. So we are now in a limbo state. 

• Like 1