Flying our 10 year old cat out to Perth, Western Australia

NandoF

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of flying out a pet cat to Australia? I am aware of what the steps involved are and the rough cost and know that it is expensive, cumbersome and time consuming to go through the whole process. I am also aware she will need to be quarantined in Melbourne for 10 days before she can be transferred out to Perth. We are planing on moving in just over 2 years so have plenty of time to plan this all out. 

To say I am anxious about this process would be an understatement. We are planning on using a company to carry out all the steps of the process for us and liaise with our vet (either Pet Air UK or Trans fur animals). We have received quotes from both. Our cat is very skittish and anxious at the best of times, although this has improved somewhat over the years. Leaving her behind to be adopted by a friend or family member is not an option as she is part of the family and we are both very attached to her. 

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar position flying out a nervous pet. If you have could you please let me know how the experience was and if there is a particular company you would recommend? I am feeling bad about putting her through a potentially terrifying experience and could use some reassurance.

Thanks in advance for any help/ advice you can offer.

Our experience was a number of years ago, our cat was 13 when she travelled.  We'd initially been worried about her age and the flight but our vet said she was healthy and no reason not to take her if that's what we decided.  We used a carrier (pets on the move) who had an agent local to us.  Our cat was picked up from our home - we sent a cushion she liked to sit on - we weren't sure that it would travel with her but took the chance.  Back then, she also had to do 30 days in quarantine, when we picked her up she was healthy, a little quiet but otherwise seemed unaffected by the journey.

At quarantine, they did bring her out in the crate she'd travelled in which was very spacious and had both the water and food bowl attached to it. , we were reassured by the size of the crate and hubby commented that she'd had more leg room than we did lol.

She didn't have any problems settling in and she lived to a grand old age of 21.  

PetAir were great with our four, two of whom were 11 at the time. We paid just over £1k each for collection from our house in London and flights to Melbourne, plus the vet costs, 10 days' quarantine fees, and another £525 for internal flights to Sydney for all four. So roughly £2k per cat all told. They kept us updated all the way, inclduing during their stopover in Singapore. One of our cats is also very anxious / nervous, but apart from weeing all over his crate he came through fine. Apparently they just settle down and go to sleep in the hold.

10 hours ago, ali said:

Our experience was a number of years ago, our cat was 13 when she travelled.  We'd initially been worried about her age and the flight but our vet said she was healthy and no reason not to take her if that's what we decided.  We used a carrier (pets on the move) who had an agent local to us.  Our cat was picked up from our home - we sent a cushion she liked to sit on - we weren't sure that it would travel with her but took the chance.  Back then, she also had to do 30 days in quarantine, when we picked her up she was healthy, a little quiet but otherwise seemed unaffected by the journey.

At quarantine, they did bring her out in the crate she'd travelled in which was very spacious and had both the water and food bowl attached to it. , we were reassured by the size of the crate and hubby commented that she'd had more leg room than we did lol.

She didn't have any problems settling in and she lived to a grand old age of 21.  

Thanks for your reply. This was really reassuring to hear. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, OWilson87 said:

Our veterinarian advised us not to fly with a cat older than 8 years old, since every year it becomes more difficult for them to endure flights. Maybe you can consult with a veterinarian, maybe give her a sleep aid for the entire flight.

They don’t sedate animals flying as the altitude amplifies the sedative effect and there is no one monitoring them. My diabetic 8yo cat flew back in 2018. Wasn’t great on arrival in the uk, but survived. Wouldn’t do it again out of choice I’ll be honest. Purely the issues with the diabetes, nothing else. He recovered within hours and is still with me however. 😁