You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Raye

Son paying his way through university in Australia

My son has applied for university in Australia. Given uncertain times due to Covid, we don't yet have job offers and I'm worried about getting jobs quickly enough once we arrive in Australia. If my son is offered a place at university as a PR resident can he get a student loan to support himself before he arrives? Student fees and accommodation? He will try to get a job asap alongside his studies once his feet are on ground in Australia. I am just concerned that I might not be earning when we arrive but want him to be able to continue to university.  

24 minutes ago, Raye said:

My son has applied for university in Australia. Given uncertain times due to Covid, we don't yet have job offers and I'm worried about getting jobs quickly enough once we arrive in Australia. If my son is offered a place at university as a PR resident can he get a student loan to support himself before he arrives? Student fees and accommodation? He will try to get a job asap alongside his studies once his feet are on ground in Australia. I am just concerned that I might not be earning when we arrive but want him to be able to continue to university.  

Hi @Raye I thought only Citizens could get HECS although I think PR holders can get a Commonwealth Assisted Place if the course you choose is eligible. 
‘I’m not sure with accommodation, I know neither of my boys got any help. He should be able to claim rent assistance from Centrelink but only once he is here. Depending how old he is he may be classed as a dependent so they will need to know your assets/income 

• Thanks 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

2 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Hi @Raye I thought only Citizens could get HECS although I think PR holders can get a Commonwealth Assisted Place if the course you choose is eligible. 
‘I’m not sure with accommodation, I know neither of my boys got any help. He should be able to claim rent assistance from Centrelink but only once he is here. Depending how old he is he may be classed as a dependent so they will need to know your assets/income 

I believe you are correct.  A CSP (Commonwealth Supported Place) is subsidised education and is available to permanent residents, so that will bring the course cost right down.  As for student loans, permanent residents cannot get HECS-HELP loans I'm afraid.  I presume this is because if you aren't a citizen, you probably won't be there to pay the loan back once you start work

https://www.studyassist.gov.au/help-loans/non-australian-citizens

You might find this link helpful for estimating cost of living as a student

https://www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/English/Live-in-Australia/living-costs

Edited by FirstWorldProblems
added link to cost of living resource
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

Agree with the others, you have to be a citizen to get the loans. 

• Thanks 1

As others have said only citizens get loans and PR's get domestic fees - here in WA these have to be paid up front each semester.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows