Is Dan Andrews doing the right thing?

starlight7

27 minutes ago, Parley said:

Dan Andrews will feel very pleased with himself.

Victoria at one stage had over 700 new cases per day.

The last 2 days zero new cases and zero deaths. So Dan will feel his policies have achieved this.

Has anywhere else in the world managed this I wonder ?

Isn't that like the pyromaniac firefighter boasting about extinguishing the fire he started?!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Parley said:

Maybe. but at least he has put it out. I give him that much.

I don't know what the long term cost will be whether financial or in health problems both mental and physical. And that quarantine business......How can he really claim that neither he, nor his senior govt ministers, nor his senior public servants knew anything about the decision to use private security, and if I'm not mistaken, a dodgy security firm at that.

I don't know what to make about the whole covid thing. Why have, so far, every state and territory in Australia bar Victoria been basically back to normal since the end  of the first lockdown in early June? Is the rest of the country going to go the same way as Europe with its 'Second Wave?'

To be honest, here in Queensland in the 3 months I've been here, other than having to sign in when we go to cafes and bars, seeing the odd person wearing a mask,. and what I see on the news, you would not know there is a killer virus on the loose.

36 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I don't know what the long term cost will be whether financial or in health problems both mental and physical. And that quarantine business......How can he really claim that neither he, nor his senior govt ministers, nor his senior public servants knew anything about the decision to use private security, and if I'm not mistaken, a dodgy security firm at that.

I don't know what to make about the whole covid thing. Why have, so far, every state and territory in Australia bar Victoria been basically back to normal since the end  of the first lockdown in early June? Is the rest of the country going to go the same way as Europe with its 'Second Wave?'

To be honest, here in Queensland in the 3 months I've been here, other than having to sign in when we go to cafes and bars, seeing the odd person wearing a mask,. and what I see on the news, you would not know there is a killer virus on the loose.

Same in WA. Didn't have to sign in at cafes and bars for long and that stopped altogether a couple of months ago. We know how lucky we are when we have a chat to the rellies in the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MARYROSE02 said:

This is the whole point of the eradication strategy.  Once the virus is eradicated you only need token gestures and a strong border.

Of course the virus has not been eradicated in NSW or Victoria yet.

Edited by rtritudr
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Exactly the same here, just outside of the Sydney Metropolitan area.  We see the odd mask wearer and we also wear our own masks in doctors' surgeries and the like. It takes 30 seconds to register at the bar or restaurant and then its just like pre-covid times.

Gladys will not open the border with Victoria until Victoria gets its tracing capability up to scratch.

Edited by Dusty Plains

34 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Gladys will not open the border with Victoria until Victoria gets its tracing capability up to scratch.

I'm sure Victoria would be willing to share its experiences but ultimately it is not our responsibility to get your tracing capability up to scratch. 

22 minutes ago, Quinkla said:

I'm sure Victoria would be willing to share its experiences but ultimately it is not our responsibility to get your tracing capability up to scratch. 

Thats just it, NSW does not want to share any Victorian experience and i would suggest the other states would be equally gun shy of the Victorian experience.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Thats just it, NSW does not want to share any Victorian experience and i would suggest the other states would be equally gun shy of the Victorian experience.

Fair enough - that's their funeral. I guess the borders will have to remain closed then. 

19 hours ago, rtritudr said:

If NSW ends up becoming the only state with ongoing community transmission it will have to be isolated from the rest of Australia.

It already is. The most populous state is always going to be high risk to other states, simply because there are more avenues for Covid=19 to spread. Covid-19 needs carriers in order to spread and NSW is fairly full of potential carriers. 

I am amazed at these state premiers in Queensland and WA who hold themselves out to be heroes but have never needed to deal with a population of Covid -19 carriers. to any great degree. 

Great to see the Melbournians out and about again. Business is back on track, although as reported on A Current Affair, not all restaurants are making money. But I am certain that the punters will fill those venues eventually. 

Welcome back Melbourne.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/10/2020 at 10:22, Alan Collett said:

Maybe you could nonetheless answer the question, so we can better understand your rationale.

Is the answer none?

In anticipation ...

Best regards.

None would be nice and that's what we should be aiming for. We're heading the right way. Might be a problem when international borders get opened.