MRI Radiographer requesting advice concerning ASMIRT skills assessment

Anthonysb

Hi there,

We are looking to enter an EOI for a 491 visa application soon, but first I need to have a skills assessment with the ASMIRT.

I qualified back in 2016 and did around 8 months as a general band 5 radiographer.   My job did comprise performing CT scans as the sole radiographer on night shifts (heads and spines).  I also would complete a shift in CT once every 2 weeks during the day, performing other contrast based scans.  Since I left around April 2017, I have worked solely as an MRI radiographer in the private sector, where I perform a variety of different scans.

My worry is whether or not this history will cause any issues with the skills assessment, because it does not contain enough experience either in plain film and/or CT.  the FAQ on the ASMIRT website says "Diagnostic Radiographers/Medical Imaging Technologists should have some experience of basic CT scanning."  I feel I satisfy this, but I was wondering if anyone could offer any further advice on this.

Are there any other radiographers who have performed exclusively MRI for a period of time and had a skills assessment that was fine?  Alternatively is anyone else able to shed any sort of advice and light on this matter at all?

Many thanks,

Anthony.

21 hours ago, Anthonysb said:

Are there any other radiographers who have performed exclusively MRI for a period of time and had a skills assessment that was fine?

I can confirm that I had no issues in getting ASMIRT accreditation. I did general for 3 years, neuro CT like you for 2 years, and MRI for 3 years (the last year of that being exclusively MRI) when I submitted my skills assessment.

The issue you will find will be with AHPRA not recognising your CT experience as being significant. But this is not something you need to worry about until you`re ready to apply for interviews.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Edited by DukeNinja

Thanks a lot for the detailed replies and the welcome Duke!

Once we (hopefully) get our invitation to apply for a visa, I will likely leave my job to join somewhere where I will train in CT for 18 months or so before we were to migrate.  I want to give myself the best possible chance of employment soon after arrival.  Therefore I will likely send off for my AHRPA application closer to when the time comes to move to hopefully address this.

My issues right now really are in the short term with the ASMIRT paperwork.  In order to apply for this we're looking at over £500, in addition to the costs of instructing out agent to begin work as this is the first thing they will assist in managing.  I am nervous about sending off the paperwork and spending £1,500 for them to say they have an issue with my lack of CT and/or plain film.

It's reassuring to hear you had no issues Duke, but you were significantly more 'well-rounded' than I am at this stage.  I did general and some CT for 8 months, before heading into MRI.  Do you think that this may cause me issues?

Do you mind me asking further questions while I've got you here?   Were there any post graduate level studies you had to complete in order to be an MRi radiographer or are our skills and experience transferable?  Whereabouts do you work there now?  Do you happen to know any good recruitment agents out there for our area of employment?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.  Connecting with others who have moved from here to do the same job over there is incredibly reassuring.

Have a look as the ANZSCO website. It is worth registering as it is free to do so. There you will find what a radiographer is expected to be doing. This helped me in my visa application. Somewhere on the ASMIRT website or theIr international accreditation application form there will be exactly what ASMIRT expect you to demonstrate in order to gain accreditation.

It looks like we had a similar level of experience mate, I wouldn`t be worried if I was you. However, you need to cross the Ts and dots the Is. 

Unlike NZ, you do not need a post-grad to work in MRI in Queensland. However, some employers may choose to have this as a selection criteria. I know that the Sunshine Coast University Hospital do that.

You are encouraged to get your ASMIRT MRI level 1 accreditation when you get a job. You sit and exam and support this with a log book of examinations.

If you`re feeling aggrieved about spending 500 quid for ASMIRT, then prepare yourself for a big shock. We did everything ourselves, and we spent about AUD30k to get here. It is not a cheap process, but you have to weigh whether it is a financial risk that’s will pay off for you.

I can definitely recommend a couple of agencies, although I decided to go it out alone. Nevertheless, they were brilliant in lining up interviews for me:

Anthony Barono @ Alexander Associates +61295067000/+61425211634 https://alexander-associates.com.au/

Joanna @ http://globalhealth.com.au/ +61892270822

Our MRI skills are fully transferable, although the workload over here is extremely heavy. MRI departments usually run between 6am and 10pm. If you pick a good hospital, then you`re likely to be exposed to research/fetal/cardiac MRI.

Let me know if you need more info.

Standard disclaimer that “I am not a migration agent but speaking purely from experience” applies 😎

Edited by DukeNinja

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.  I  spotted your post this morning actually!  Really helpful and something I'll be coming back to over and over.

We're about a month into this process now and finding it to be a real roller-coaster.  Had a chat with a migration agent yesterday who seemed very optimistic about our chances which put us on a real high, then today when taking a close look into getting ready for ASMIRT noticed they want level 7 in Academic IELTS, when I had just sat a General Training IELTS.  Will have to go and do another one now I presume unless I go down the Pearson route.  So frustrating.

We'll get there.

Also under no illusion re costs.  Just keen to make sure everything is in good shape before we put in the application.

So, got my IELTS results back as 9, 9, 8, 9 so pleased to have that front all sorted. I was wrong in assuming I'd need Academic IELTS for ASMIRT as UK passport holders don't need to worry. A bif relief to not have to sit another test.

Dukeninja, do you mind if I pester you for a bit further information? One of the biggest worries I have is getting out there and for some reason struggling to find work. When I search on websites such as Indeed/Seek, there doesn't seem to be any/much work specific to just cross-sectional radiography or anywhere that is purely MR (aside from a locum job) in the Sunshine Coast area. It seems to be combined with other modalities like plain film/fluoro etc. This is in contrast to the areas reputation as a huge medical hub.  (https://www.seek.com.au/radiographer-jobs-in-healthcare-medical/in-Sunshine-Coast)

Are there any other/better places I can keep an eye on to get a feel for the frequency of vacancies popping up out there? As it looks right now I think I am likely to need to go back to the NHS and some CT experience and maybe do a bit of plain film again. 

Do you know if the Sunshine Coast is generally considered an easy place for us to get work in general? 

Edited by Anthonysb

@Anthonysb Apologies for the delay, I've just seen your message.

Forget about getting a job at the Sunshine Coast University Hospital, because as a minimum they want applicants to have a post grad in MRI. Also, there are at least 2 people with 20+ years experience at my place of work who are lining up for a job at the Sunny coast. Also, it's a case of who you know 🙄

Did you get in touch with the contacts I provided above?

You need to have your radiation licence in order to work as a radiographer in Qld (you apply for it when you get here), as most places will expect you to do plain film occasionally as well.

With the whole Covid situation, budgets have been slashed, so jobs in public hospitals to not come about as frequently as they did. Last year we employed 6 new MRI rads.

The best place to looks for jobs in the public sector is to search on https://smartjobs.qld.gov.au/jobtools/jncustomsearch.jobsearch?in_organid=14904

Graduate rads start on HP3, with MRI rads generally being advertised as HP4 positions.

Here is the current payscale: https://www.health.qld.gov.au/hrpolicies/wage-rates/health-practitioners

Edited by DukeNinja

On 16/09/2020 at 00:38, Anthonysb said:

I was wrong in assuming I'd need Academic IELTS for ASMIRT as UK passport holders don't need to worry

I'm not so sure about this. Might be worth calling ASMIRT directly to check. I came from the UK, and I had to do IELTS academic for ASMIRT.

Hey Duke,

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.  No worries for the time taken - always just glad to have a dialogue open with anyone out there.

Somewhat disheartening and a bit of a culture shock coming from the UK where every job has to be listed for equal opportunities employment etc to a place where it's often a case of who you know.  I was lucky enough to have a chat with a lovely radiographer who lives on the Sunny Coast who said exactly the same to be honest.  

I think the best way I can position myself before leaving at this stage is to either stay with my current employer or move and do 18 months or so of CT so I'm fully cross-sectionally trained for when I get out there.

Disheartening to hear about a post grad requirement for MRI at the Sunshine Coast, however I'm happy for this to be a long term goal and work towards that when I'm out there, perhaps finding some work in the private sector prior.

Bit of a concern about needing some plain film skills having not taken an X-Ray in nearly 4 years, but also something I was by the lady I spoke to the other day.  I'm unsure how to handle this one really without abandoning MRI altogether for a while.  Unlikely to find MRI/CT/Plain film anywhere really.  CT is often paired with a band 6 role which I may struggle to get anyway as it's primarily plain film and I'm somewhat deskilled by now.  A tricky one this.  

I didn't contact any of the people you provided me with just yet as we intend to land 2 years from now all being well, so I thought it perhaps too early to bother them just yet.  I certainly will so so thanks again.

As far as ASMIRT is concerned, it was brought to my attention by my agent.  Unsure if this has been changed since you applied.  Details below:

https://www.asmirt.org/careers-and-employment/overseas-assessments/#a2

Note: If an applicant is an Australian citizen or a passport holder from : United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, United States of America (USA) or Republic of Ireland, they are not required to provide evidence of understanding and fluency in English.

Edited by Anthonysb

6 minutes ago, Anthonysb said:

Note: If an applicant is an Australian citizen or a passport holder from : United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, United States of America (USA) or Republic of Ireland, they are not required to provide evidence of understanding and fluency in English

That's excellent news if indeed correct.

Don't worry about plain film experience - I hadn't taken an x-ray for 3 years when I took the position. You'll get fully oriented to whatever department you join.

As for getting your post grad education here - I would most definitely advise against doing that, as the costs are exorbitant, even for home students. If you really want to get your cert/dip/degree, definitely get that done in the UK.

On the plus side, if you do have even a PgCert, you get paid an extra allowance (in the public sector).

We all want to move to the Sunny Coast, live by the beach and have a local job, but unfortunately this is very hard to achieve. There are plenty of decent hospitals within Brisbane, that will offer you a range of exposure that you may not get in the UK.

I was undertaking a masters in MRI here but my Dad got lymphoma and I had to bail a short way into it.  They no longer offer the course, but I'll have a look around where I can obtain a PGcert in the mean time.

Reassuring about the plain film side of things.

Our route is a 491 regional visa with family sponsorship (small shot at a 190 but less likely) so Brisbane isn't a likely option for me sadly.  Family live in Buderim so it's not just about 'the dream';  we're keen to be near them. I am however also forced to find regional work.

Edited by Anthonysb

• 3 weeks later...

Anthony can I ask what stage of your application you are now mate. I am in UK wants getting my application ready for ASMIRT!! Are you doing Aphra application form here too 

DukeNinja you are nice human being helping people from saving a Future from agents.

me and Mrs combined might have 70 points she is a secondary school teacher and I am rad for 15 years with PGC in CT. My over all PTE is 80 but I am 41 years old with 2 kids 

any help with application as we are planning to get Aphra and ASMIRT then wife PTE Hopefully before EOI

also I am confused with ASMIRT fees some part of form say 298 and some say 900 plus!! Can anyone clarify 

Edited by VERYSTORMY
Forum rules

8 hours ago, Sac said:

Anthony can I ask what stage of your application you are now mate. I am in UK wants getting my application ready for ASMIRT!! Are you doing Aphra application form here too

DukeNinja you are nice human being helping people from saving a Future from agents.

me and Mrs combined might have 70 points she is a secondary school teacher and I am rad for 15 years with PGC in CT. My over all PTE is 80 but I am 41 years old with 2 kids 

any help with application as we are planning to get Aphra and ASMIRT then wife PTE Hopefully before EOI

also I am confused with ASMIRT fees some part of form say 298 and some say 900 plus!! Can anyone clarify 

It's almost always the higher fees one. I've had a quick look, and the one for $289 that you're referring to, is for rads who have done an ASMIRT accredited diagnostic imaging course. At the time of writing, there's only one course that meets the criteria, and its the NZ course.

It appears that the application form you need to complete may be this one:

www.asmirt.org › 2338 › 2338PDF
Web results
OQAP assessment - Australian Society of Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy

And the associated fee is $946

Migrating to Australia does not come cheap. We spent at least $30k just to land here.

I feel that you may well benefit from an initial consultation with a migration agent.

Edited by VERYSTORMY
Forum rules

8 hours ago, Sac said:

The help of the forum does not replace the help from an agent. Far from it. It is always wise to use n agent and in the current climate it is essential.