Emigrating to Australia

<3 Chips

Hello fellow PIOs

I have been trawling PIO and the internet for information or advice but have come up trumps.

I'm an Australian citizen and my partner is British, after a couple years of gathering relationship history and lodging the application he/we were granted his Partner 100 via back in February this year. Hooray! But our elation and relief was shortlived as Covid19 took over the world.

On our Visa Grant, it states that his first entry must be before February 2021.

We will be living in Brisbane once we have emigrated. When I look for flights, everything seems like normal (pre-covid, Heaps to choose from!) - but in the news, there's reports that passengers' flights are getting cancelled or amended for almost no reason, or because they bought economy seats and they're prioritising the pricier seats.

We are also slightly apprehensive regarding the job market back in Aus - we'll be looking to jump into work straight away (after quarantining of course!), but i understand that unemployment is sky rocketing. We would be happy to work doing anything to start with.

When I called Home Affairs, they said they are unable to amend the Arrive By date - however if we were to arrive after the Arrive By date, we can apply for an extension claiming extenuating circumstances.

Is anyone in a similar situation where they haven't emigrated yet and have a set "arrive by" date? Or if they arrived after the "arrive by" date and managed to successfully have it extended?

Has anyone emigrated quite recently back to Australia? How were the flights - are the passengers spaced apart? What was quarantine like? How's the job market?

On 08/09/2020 at 23:12, wrussell said:

Yes they can. Have you looked into passage by ship? - not a people smuggler enterprise or a floating brothel.

Interesting (the possibility of date extension, not the floating brothel!)

Any idea how you/I manage to successfully arrange this? I called Dept of Immi twice and both times I was told that wasn't possible.

What's the secret word?

You cannot ‘extend’ the date. The way this works is that the initial entry date is a condition on your visa; if you breach a condition, your visa is liable for cancellation. In the current environment the department is being ‘light touch’ in this respect. The skilled migration division has offered formal guidance on this issue for skilled visa holders saying they will not seek to cancel visas for Covid affected delays but the partner visa area has not provided such formal reassurance. 

32 minutes ago, paulhand said:

You cannot ‘extend’ the date. The way this works is that the initial entry date is a condition on your visa; if you breach a condition, your visa is liable for cancellation. In the current environment the department is being ‘light touch’ in this respect. The skilled migration division has offered formal guidance on this issue for skilled visa holders saying they will not seek to cancel visas for Covid affected delays but the partner visa area has not provided such formal reassurance. 

What about 143 visa holders, as i have just had my flight cancelled by emirates and been told i cannot re book with them until 7 days after my take off date, which is december 29th.

My enter by date is january 17th 2021 which is very doubtful i will get a flifgt before that date, due to covid and the 150 passengers restriction.