Leaving Australia - Covid flights to the UK

lorkers

After eleven years in Australia, I'm reluctantly about to return to the UK for work.

I'm applying for my exit permit - which is stressful enough - but I'm also trying to get a flight back to London.

Australia is on the list of 'exempt countries' so I don't have to isolate when I get to the UK. Great! But I've just seen I do have to isolate at my home, if I transit.

But without a home, I won't be able to - my new employer will put me up in a hotel while I look for somewhere to rent. But I can't do that as I can't self isolate in a hotel? And my new employer will have a fit too.

Anyone else discovered this problem - or is the 'quarantine after a transit stop' rule infact ignored on arrival in the UK. It's only an hour in transit anyway, literally walking between gates! 

Just now, Marisawright said:

Of course you can self isolate in a hotel. Order Uber Eats or room service. 

If it is your employer who’s asking you to return then they can hardly complain about paying for your quarantine 

I think the issue is that self- isolating would mean starting work two weeks later than planned, and if it's a new employer (I took 'returning to UK for work' to be starting a new job) then that could be awkward.

But sorry @lorkers - I don't actually have any advice or a real reply to your question!  

2 hours ago, lorkers said:

After eleven years in Australia, I'm reluctantly about to return to the UK for work.

I'm applying for my exit permit - which is stressful enough - but I'm also trying to get a flight back to London.

Australia is on the list of 'exempt countries' so I don't have to isolate when I get to the UK. Great! But I've just seen I do have to isolate at my home, if I transit.

But without a home, I won't be able to - my new employer will put me up in a hotel while I look for somewhere to rent. But I can't do that as I can't self isolate in a hotel? And my new employer will have a fit too.

Anyone else discovered this problem - or is the 'quarantine after a transit stop' rule infact ignored on arrival in the UK. It's only an hour in transit anyway, literally walking between gates! 

If it's "reluctantly" why do it?

25 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

If it's "reluctantly" why do it?

Because I was made redundant right at the start of Covid - after 9 years and 11 months in the job, and a decade out here.

I have since filled in 100 job applications, and got 3 interviews. All no go. However, I applied, almost to test the water, for 3 jobs in the UK, and got 2 interviews. Difference between the AU and UK job market I guess.

It's a toss up between an amazing job, at really good pay in the UK, or Australia on benefits. Not much of a choice. 

Anyway, I have sort of found the answer to my question here: https://lux-traveller.com/2020/flying-australia-to-the-uk.htm

Basically there are only two options: the once a week via Malaysia flight, or the once a day via China flight, which allow you to avoid UK quarantine. Anything else, and it's a no go (or rather, 2 weeks going nowhere). But goodness, the prices are astronomical.

3 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

Out of interests Lorkers, how old are you?  From the experience of a number of my friends, they have found it hard to change jobs once passed 40. The UK cut-off appears to be 50 for when you are not as employable due to age.

Interesting point! I'm over 50 and was in a quite senior position. My company has been paying a recruiter, and they advised it is a real struggle right now for anyone of my 'years'.

It was already bad pre-Covid.  I am a lawyer in my early 50s and when I was looking for work in my late 40s I found that age was definitely a factor.  I got my latest job through contacts who valued my expertise. When I was actively job hunting, the recruiters even asked for a minimum and maximum level of post-qualification experience for a lot of jobs advertised (eg between 7 and 15 years PQE).  As PQE is gained with number of years practising this is blatant age discrimination but the Gen Y recruiters deny it when you raise it with them.  I have thought about sending a few such advertisement to the Australian Human Rights Commission to see what they think. 

Anyhow, good old Blighty came up trumps for you and I hope that your reluctance to leave Australia soon turns to enjoyment of your new job and environs.