Camping and Caravanning in Australia

HappyHeart

We bought our very first caravan last year. A ten year old Jayco poptop. I'd always wanted one and finally convinced him indoors. 

We like off grid camping and often camp on our own block down in the Margaret River region. Are there any other PIO campers? Share your van/rig and stories here. Its a steep learning curve, we've had a few mishaps along the way but I think I could easily hit the road long term. Grey Nomads we may be......

Hope to go further afield when annual leave allows...long service leave?? 

IMG_20200530_162431_051.jpg

Edited by HappyHeart
  • Like 6

That is a nice set up you have there. 

We have been touring in our Golf Savannah for the past three years and have toured far and wide Through NSW, Qld Outback, the Northern Territory, South Australia and Victoria . Its a great life and the Grey Nomads are generally a very friendly lot. Late last year we did the 4000 km journey from Sydney across to the Margaret River Region, Dunsborough, Albany Esperance, then back home.  The best advice I can offer is to talk to the other campers that you meet. They are a wealth of information on what to see, where best to camp and what to avoid.

If your van is ten years old then do you have solar panels fitted on the roof?  Solar panels have definitely revolutionised the off-grid experience in the last 5 years or so.

Our ultimate dream is to return to Tasmania and tour around for at least a month, maybe two, as soon as they open up the access again. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

That is a nice set up you have there. 

We have been touring in our Golf Savannah for the past three years and have toured far and wide Through NSW, Qld Outback, the Northern Territory, South Australia and Victoria . Its a great life and the Grey Nomads are generally a very friendly lot. Late last year we did the 4000 km journey from Sydney across to the Margaret River Region, Dunsborough, Albany Esperance, then back home.  The best advice I can offer is to talk to the other campers that you meet. They are a wealth of information on what to see, where best to camp and what to avoid.

If your van is ten years old then do you have solar panels fitted on the roof?  Solar panels have definitely revolutionised the off-grid experience in the last 5 years or so.

Our ultimate dream is to return to Tasmania and tour around for at least a month, maybe two, as soon as they open up the access again. 

That sounds like you've had amazing adventures. 

We have a moveable solar panel that keeps the battery topped up for short trips. We run the fridge on gas. We don't have toilet and shower on board so use ensuite tent. I reckon we could easily manage for longer trips as long as we had access to fill up our water tank. Will probably fIt another soon as at the moment we have one x 60ltr and 3 x 2ltr cans. 

The van is pretty comfortable. We have to use the annex for the teenager and dogs but it's super easy and only takes 30 mins set up and down. 

• Like 1

Just remembered an incident in caravanning. I bought a small ‘van for living in on the Tom Price-Paraburdoo/Robe River iron ore rail projects. After they were completed, I decided to head south and east, across the Nullabor, which, in those days, was 1000 miles of dirt road. Pretty much in the centre of that road, I had a blowout on my 4wd. The temperature was about 109F and it took me 3 hours to ‘break the bead’ of the tyre. Mum stayed in the ‘van while I toiled away. 
vowed never ever to  buy another ‘van due to that.
cheers, Bobj.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

Just remembered an incident in caravanning. I bought a small ‘van for living in on the Tom Price-Paraburdoo/Robe River iron ore rail projects. After they were completed, I decided to head south and east, across the Nullabor, which, in those days, was 1000 miles of dirt road. Pretty much in the centre of that road, I had a blowout on my 4wd. The temperature was about 109F and it took me 3 hours to ‘break the bead’ of the tyre. Mum stayed in the ‘van while I toiled away. 
cheers, Bobj.

Ever thought of writing a book of short stories (with photos) about your travels Bob? I'd buy it in a heartbeat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

cheers, Bobj.

It can happen,

We were somewhere between Wilcannia and Broken Hill last year. I was driving in our new-ish Ford Ranger towing our caravan. The outside temperature was 40 degrees C when suddenly my vehicle went into limp mode and a warning light came on.  I  limped off to the side of the road and checked the owner's manual which indicated that when that particular warning light comes on I should "contact a service agent" . There was no phone network, we had  not seen another car for ages.  There were no towns within 50km. Oh dear.

A lesson learned. When towing a van with a car having auto transmission never tow in top gear, Use the sports mode on the auto shift to manually change gears and keep the vehicle  cruising in 5th gear, not 6th gear.  I was not aware of this at the time and towing in 6th gear had overheated the transmission.

Things cooled down and I turned the key, the engine started and we slowly made our way to Broken Hill and a service agent. It was 5th gear all the way to WA with no further problems.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Ever thought of writing a book of short stories (with photos) about your travels Bob? I'd buy it in a heartbeat

Thanks, mate, look up Reminiscing in this fine forum. But no photos ‘cos I didn’t own a camera in those days

Cheers, Bobj.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bobj said:

cheers, Bobj.

Bob, when you say Mum do you mean Mum or your wife? 

Guest The Pom Queen

We thought of a caravan but then it limits you to where you can go. We prefer to go off road and away from the crowds. A lot of the tracks we do the car struggles even though it’s got a high clearance. 
‘I don’t like camping in the camp parks and being put near others so this would be something that would hold me back with having a caravan. We considered a campervan at one stage but after hiring one many years ago we found that limiting but also packing up the camp every time you just wanted to go to the shop.

I did my first time camping in a swag recently, despite the weather being cold at night the swag kept me warm and I loved it.

If I was rich and famous and had pockets lined with gold, I’d love one of those rigs where they carry a 4x4 behind them and a boat on the roof.

43F79406-0F42-4A23-999F-C716BF033FFA.jpeg

17818A9B-F627-4815-B3B6-B9A9428F4FA8.jpeg437B54EA-24A4-4088-8635-635667718397.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

We thought of a caravan but then it limits you to where you can go. We prefer to go off road and away from the crowds. A lot of the tracks we do the car struggles even though it’s got a high clearance. 
‘I don’t like camping in the camp parks and being put near others so this would be something that would hold me back with having a caravan. We considered a campervan at one stage but after hiring one many years ago we found that limiting but also packing up the camp every time you just wanted to go to the shop.

I did my first time camping in a swag recently, despite the weather being cold at night the swag kept me warm and I loved it.

If I was rich and famous and had pockets lined with gold, I’d love one of those rigs where they carry a 4x4 behind them and a boat on the roof.

43F79406-0F42-4A23-999F-C716BF033FFA.jpeg

17818A9B-F627-4815-B3B6-B9A9428F4FA8.jpeg437B54EA-24A4-4088-8635-635667718397.jpeg

We don't go to caravan parks either. I cant see the attraction packed in like sardines and plugged into the electric etc but each to their own and a good way for a budget trip (however site prices van be nearly as high as low cost accommodation/cabins etc) 

Check out YouCamp, it's where people advertise their private land for campers, might be a farm, a vineyard or just an acreage property. We had a great stay a few hours from home. No other campers in sight and only $15 p/n. 

There are other parks suitable only for off grid fully self contained campers and they tend to be very private and spacious. We did that last year at Olive Hill Farm in Margaret River. I'll find a pic of it to post. 

Mainly though at this stage we bought our van to camp on our own land before we build on it. In years to come it can be extra accommodation for visitors and we will use to do some exploring in WA and beyond, off grid free camping. I do enjoy the luxury of a proper bed I must say. My back is not up to anything less unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Guest The Pom Queen
On 09/09/2020 at 20:29, starlight7 said:

Just shut UP- so jealous.  We are stuck in the Victorian hard lockdown and can't wait to be FREE. The backyard, nice and bushy though it is, just doesn't quite cut it>😡

I don’t know, just get your tent out and a campfire with some marshmallows and it will feel like you are a million miles from home 😊

Guest The Pom Queen
On 10/09/2020 at 12:08, Dusty Plains said:

Our first Camping set up, pre-caravan.

Port Arthur Tasmania 2017

DSC_0041.thumb.JPG.a27cdf6057d4e0a370764c3bad20b553.JPG

imageproxy.php?img=&key=578e852abf1eefa4imageproxy.php?img=&key=578e852abf1eefa4

What are the roof top tents like? No good for me unless it had a lift or ramp, but the son is interested

Guest The Pom Queen
On 10/09/2020 at 15:31, Dusty Plains said:

It keeps us safe from those Tasmanian Crocodiles ( at least that's what I told a couple of Brit Backpackers ! )

That was why my son wanted one, so if he went camping in the FNQ he was safe from crocs. 

5 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

That was why my son wanted one, so if he went camping in the FNQ he was safe from crocs. 

@The Pom QueenThat place you saw the croc with the blunted snout was where I used to camp years ago. The bloke who gave you the barramundi had a 'hammock swag' and a croc walked under it one night. Same place...Most likely same croc, too.

Cheers, Bobj.