You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Maussie

Info on points system and selection

Wondering if anyone could clarify how the points system works for EOI. 

Does the points score trump the intended job or will the job have a greater bearing on whether you are invited to apply, that's for 189, 190 and 491. 

e.g. if a state requires let's say butchers but the cohort of butchers have lower points than the bakers or candlestick makers, could the butchers still be invited to apply as those roles require filling and the state may have enough members of the other professions. 

I ask as I have a very low score (50) for a 189 and was wondering if it was worth trying to up it with a formal English test. Think I could potentially get 85 for a 491. Regardless I should be able to get an employer sponsored visa but thought I'd have more freedom with work decisions if I got there off my own back. 

Thanks in advance. 

From what I've read on the forums, 50 points is very low - a lot invites are for those with points in the 90"s

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Yes, the states

3 hours ago, Maussie said:

if a state requires let's say butchers but the cohort of butchers have lower points than the bakers or candlestick makers, could the butchers still be invited to apply as those roles require filling and the state may have enough members of the other professions. 

Yes, that is how it works.  However, you can't take any comfort from that, because there are so many applications, it's highly competitive.  If you're a butcher and you submit an application with a low score, they won't rush to hire you just because you're the only applicant left - they just wait a week or two, and more high-scoring applicants will come in, and they'll pick them instead. Thus low scorers are likely to languish in the queue for a long time and may never get picked. 

Take a look at this table for the 189 visa.  Notice that even the lowest occupation requires at least 90 points to stand any chance whatsoever:

https://www.iscah.com/will-get-189-invitation-january-2020-estimates/

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

15 hours ago, Maussie said:

ask as I have a very low score (50) for a 189 and was wondering if it was worth trying to up it with a formal English test. Think I could potentially get 85 for a 491. Regardless I should be able to get an employer sponsored visa but thought I'd have more freedom with work decisions if I got there off my own back. 

The required minimum points score for any non-employer-sponsored skilled visa Is 65. State nomination is also a competitive business and some states have very short lists. 

• Thanks 1

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

Thanks for the replies folks, all very informative. 

Well aware that's points are dismally low but thankfully have other options via employer sponsorship which should be straightforward enough. Did go over  for a few months on a 457 in 2017. Age is creeping ever closer to having no options at all as currently 42 and a half. Will make a decision in the next few months. 

Can I pick collective brains and ask if transitioning from PR to citizenship has any age limit?  I saw the Miriam Margolyes program on the BBC recently and she was conferred citizenship only a few years ago so hopefully there isn't but she's obviously a celebrity.

I may as well try to improve the English language ability to up the 491 score from 65 to 85 and cross fingers and toes. I understand it can be challenging even if a native speaker. Bit odd that the applicant gets zero points regardless of level of education but my wife gets an automatic 5 points for having a passport from an English speaking country and assuming she is competent. Still 5 points is better than none.

2 hours ago, Maussie said:

ask if transitioning from PR to citizenship has any age limit?

There is no age limit for citizenship

2 hours ago, Maussie said:

Bit odd that the applicant gets zero points regardless of level of education but my wife gets an automatic 5 points for having a passport from an English speaking country

These are testing different things. 

• Thanks 1

Paul Hand

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

From my knowledge PR has an age limit requirement of being under 45 years old to be granted it. PR to citizenship has no time limitations as such. So doing a 491 for 4/5 years at 42 will be too late to apply for pr. Employment sponsored 482 will probably also chip away at the age requirement to gain PR should you use it. So basically you have to have PR before you turn 45. If possible you should go straight for the 190 visa. You can still get sponsored with 65 points, but may be tight. Remember once on 491 you cannot go to PR quicker and need to do the full 5 years to get 191. 482 you can put in a 190 application whilst on it. Either way looking tight.

18 minutes ago, Southlander said:

So doing a 491 for 4/5 years at 42 will be too late to apply for pr.

This is incorrect. 

19 minutes ago, Southlander said:

Remember once on 491 you cannot go to PR quicker and need to do the full 5 years to get 191.

So is this. 

Paul Hand

SunCoast Migration Ltd

The 191 I believe doesn't have the age limit..just the preceding 491.

That's why you need a MARA! Thanks for clarifying Paul. 

For the avoidance of doubt can you apply for a 190 whilst on a 491? (I thought the old 489 you could do this but not the new 491...)

Also at 42.5 years old how easy is it to get PR via 491 or employement sponsored visa? (Considering no application is submitted yet) 

Lastly there is no requirement to obtain PR by the age of 45? (... transitioning from 482 or 491)

I have looked into it again, you have 5 years to fulfil your 3 years requirement (53k, regional etc) to apply for pr and cannot see an age requirement to transition to the 191, just have to be under 45 for the 491. Mind BLOWN, and my apologies! I thought skilled work visa to pr was set in stone for being under 45 to apply.

Also you cannot apply for a different skilled pr visa whilst on a 491, unlike the 489 where you could apply for a different class visa, which is what I was implying. But 3 years on 491, I now note. 

All the best. 

On 06/09/2020 at 05:59, Maussie said:

Wondering if anyone could clarify how the points system works for EOI. 

Does the points score trump the intended job or will the job have a greater bearing on whether you are invited to apply, that's for 189, 190 and 491. 

e.g. if a state requires let's say butchers but the cohort of butchers have lower points than the bakers or candlestick makers, could the butchers still be invited to apply as those roles require filling and the state may have enough members of the other professions. 

I ask as I have a very low score (50) for a 189 and was wondering if it was worth trying to up it with a formal English test. Think I could potentially get 85 for a 491. Regardless I should be able to get an employer sponsored visa but thought I'd have more freedom with work decisions if I got there off my own back. 

Thanks in advance. 

For the 189 a job offer is irrelevant. It is based on points, date of EOI and in some cases occupation, as some occupations have a pro rata system requiring higher points.

For the 190 it depends on the particular State as they each have their own requirements and selection methods, which they can change as they please.

Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."