417 visa expiry

Elmurph

Fair warning - this is a slightly convoluted question!

My friend is currently in Ireland, trying to travel to Australia. He is an Irish citizen but holds an active 417 working holiday visa. He has an exemption to travel and has a flight booked for November 1st to Perth (hopefully it does not cancel). His 417 visa is due to expire in December. It was activated last year when he moved to Australia to work, however in March he had to fly hone to Ireland for personal reasons and has not been able to make it back due to caps on entry. His employers are nominating him for a 482 visa.

He is legally allowed to travel back to Australia on his current 417 visa and if his flight goes ahead on November 1st that won't be a problem.

I'm wondering what the best course of action regarding the 482 visa is. If he is nominated now should he apply while he is still in Ireland? I know the current process ing times are quoted at 4-5 months for offshore applications but I know from personal experience that they are processed faster when attached to a travel exemption. Or would it be better to wait until he came to Australia, then lodge an onshore application? Seems kind of risky seeing as he'd only have about 2 months left on the 417 visa. Or is there an option to change a visa application once made from offshore - onshore, would that expedite the process?

Any advice would be appreciated!

7 hours ago, Elmurph said:

Fair warning - this is a slightly convoluted question!

It’s pretty convoluted ... if your friend has a 482 sponsor and an application in the offing then is there not an agent involved? They should advise on this as it’s too complex to work through on a forum...

I should have given more context - yes, it's a large company with lots of experience dealing with visas and agent attached. I was sponsored by the same company and my 482 visa was approved within a month. He still has a valid 417 visa from before they stopped processing them until January 2021. The company are just nominating him for the visa now, I expect he will be able to apply for it in the next week. Just with 482 processing times being so varied, if he did arrive into Australia on his valid 417 visa and if his 482 application was still in process when that expired in January, would he be able to get a bridging visa?

1 hour ago, Elmurph said:

I should have given more context - yes, it's a large company with lots of experience dealing with visas and agent attached. I was sponsored by the same company and my 482 visa was approved within a month. He still has a valid 417 visa from before they stopped processing them until January 2021. The company are just nominating him for the visa now, I expect he will be able to apply for it in the next week. Just with 482 processing times being so varied, if he did arrive into Australia on his valid 417 visa and if his 482 application was still in process when that expired in January, would he be able to get a bridging visa?

Ask the agent