Quarantine cost? And medicines

Dorsetbrit

Does anyone know what the cost of quarantine is going to be? I read that the government now contribute but stopped paying the whole lot, we just would like to budget before we set of in November.

On a slightly different post how do I find out if my medication is ok to take with me and if I can get the same in Oz? It’s Codeine and Tramadol if anyone’s interested.

Thanks guys and girls.

Depends which state you're going to = WA is $3,3360 for two people

Traveling with any medication (especially if it's with a few pkts), I would get a letter from the prescriber to say it's for personal use.  There were changes to the PBS regarding opiods and how they are prescribed to reduce the prescribing of/dependence upon these medications.  You will be able to get them on prescription from a Dr.  https://www.nps.org.au/radar/articles/opioids-new-and-amended-pbs-listings

58 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Be very careful on taking that medication as even when prescribed some countries that you may pass through / change flight consider it illegal. There have been numerous cases of serious consequences in a number of places. 

I agree. I’d certainly pick the airline/flight path carefully if I was taking those with me. A Qantas non stop flight would be the safest bet. I too have heard of some Middle Eastern countries taking a strong view regarding that type of medication. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dorsetbrit said:

Does anyone know what the cost of quarantine is going to be? I read that the government now contribute but stopped paying the whole lot, we just would like to budget before we set of in November.

On a slightly different post how do I find out if my medication is ok to take with me and if I can get the same in Oz? It’s Codeine and Tramadol if anyone’s interested.

Thanks guys and girls.

Tramadol is a no-no if transitting in the middle east - it is the most trafficked illegal (in their eyes) drug in the middle east.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dorsetbrit said:

This will be fun then if that’s true as I’ve been on both for over 10 years and feel rough if I go 5-6 hours with out taking them. They are for chronic back pain.

Take a small supply in it's original prescribed packaging with a letter from your doctor.  I often give my patients travelling overseas a letter regarding the medication they are carrying.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Tramadol,  Codeine etc are everywhere here.

Here is a helpful source of information from ADHA, relating to "Traveller's Exemptions":

https://www.tga.gov.au/entering-australia

Also make sure, at the border, that you declare all medications including empty/used packaging.

They may be everywhere that doesn't mean they aren't illegal in the UAE though.

Just Google it, you'll see loads of reports of people having them confiscated, fined or arrested just for having what the border guard considered excessive quantities on them in Dubai airport.

Remember you can't reason with a UAE border official you either accept their decision or you get deported or arrested

Edited by Ausvisitor

13 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

They may be everywhere that doesn't mean they aren't illegal in the UAE though.

Just Google it, you'll see loads of reports of people having them confiscated, fined or arrested just for having what the border guard considered excessive quantities on them in Dubai airport.

Remember you can't reason with a UAE border official you either accept their decision or you get deported or arrested

I think Dusty meant, they are available everywhere so the OP doesnt need to bring a heap with them as they will be able to get them here.

Cal x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aussiebird said:

We have medication to take with us, via Singapore, hope that's not going to be a problem for us?.

We have been given 2 months worth with prescriptions.

That's fine. We recently brought three months worth of medications, also via Singapore, no problems experienced.

Safe travels 😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

We have medication to take with us, via Singapore, hope that's not going to be a problem for us?.

We have been given 2 months worth with prescriptions.

You won't be able to use the prescriptions here - is that just to show the Dr. when you register with a surgery?

On 04/09/2020 at 18:15, calNgary said:

I think Dusty meant, they are available everywhere so the OP doesnt need to bring a heap with them as they will be able to get them here.

Cal x

There are some restrictions on the prescribing of opioids though.

You can’t get codeine over the counter here anymore, you will need a script. I would get a letter from your GP and only bring enough for short term personal use, bearing in mind you might have 2 weeks in isolation when you arrive. They don’t often bother with small amounts , even in places like Dubai or at least that is what I have found. Bring the letter though.