Hi, I'm a British/Australian citizen and I returned to Australia in January after 5 years in the UK. My house sale in the UK is proceeding, but I'm now an Australian resident for tax purposes. The house is my only property and principle residence. I bought it for £240,000 in May 2018 and I'm now selling it for £258,000. Will I be liable for any kind of CGT or income tax in either the UK or Australia?

Many thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Hi, I'm a British/Australian citizen and I returned to Australia in January after 5 years in the UK. My house sale in the UK is proceeding, but I'm now an Australian resident for tax purposes. The house is my only property and principle residence. I bought it for £240,000 in May 2018 and I'm now selling it for £258,000. Will I be liable for any kind of CGT or income tax in either the UK or Australia?

Many thanks in advance.

I would say no to either as your principle place of residence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

@rammygirl that's what I'm somewhat bothered about. There's sure to be a form somewhere that needs to be completed!

Yes, it's in the UK. "a non resident taxpayer selling a residential property in the UK is required to report the disposal of the property on a Non Resident CGT (NRCGT) return within 30 days of the day after the date the property sale is completed" Quote taken from the Articles section of this very website. See: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/09/2020 at 00:24, Ken said:

Yes, it's in the UK. "a non resident taxpayer selling a residential property in the UK is required to report the disposal of the property on a Non Resident CGT (NRCGT) return within 30 days of the day after the date the property sale is completed" Quote taken from the Articles section of this very website. See: 

Hi Ken, thanks for that info - very much appreciated. Hopefully this should keep Boris and his merry band of robbers at bay! 😄