Buying house in Scotland before moving back

Fluffycookie

Hi,

We are returning to Scotland in January and are looking to buy a house.

we are aiming to put our house here on the market this month.

if we see a house in Scotland that we would like to buy before we sell our home here and before we actually move will there be any tax implications in either country?

any advice most welcome, thank you.

Thanks to you both for your feedback.  It may not happen but if something we like does come up soon we are familiar with the area we are looking in  and having family on hand to view properties etc.  I am just not clear on the possible financial implications re. A crossover in 2 primary residences while trying to sell our current house here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/09/2020 at 04:53, Fluffycookie said:

Hi,

if we see a house in Scotland that we would like to buy before we sell our home here and before we actually move will there be any tax implications in either country?

No because it’s your sole residence. You are good to go. Scotland is beautiful, I work around Aberdeen often, Aberdeenshire is beautiful, .......getting harder to buy property round there though and prices skyrocketing. Since covid all the English escaping their overcrowded cities are heading north to Aberdeenshire and the Highlands snapping up rural and village properties.  I just love that car journey from Tomintoul to Braemar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

No because it’s your sole residence. You are good to go. Scotland is beautiful, I work around Aberdeen often, Aberdeenshire is beautiful, .......getting harder to buy property round there though and prices skyrocketing. Since covid all the English escaping their overcrowded cities are heading north to Aberdeenshire and the Highlands snapping up rural and village properties.  I just love that car journey from Tomintoul to Braemar.

I am originally from Galloway, South West Scotland and I know what you mean about the English and a few Irish buying up property.   The house prices have risen hugely over the years and of course you get what you pay for.  A decent house in the local towns average 300,000 pounds and they can go up to a million.  

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Loads of people still own homes in UK but are still tax resident in Aus not UK. just owning a home does not make you a tax resident.  You may pay some taxes and do a UK return but as a non resident.

Is it the same if the UK property is your sole residence as Home and Happy stated above when replying to the OP? Id imagine if its your sole residence you would be a tax resident there too.

Cal x

On 02/09/2020 at 04:53, Fluffycookie said:

Hi,

Just remembered -   In U.K. there is a 2nd homes tax which you get paid back if your previous home sells within 18 months,   but I would think that this is only relevant to U.K. property as it’s to deter people buying multiple U.K. properties. Just don’t tell your purchasing solicitor anything about your house out there since it will probably be long sold by time you complete a sale here. . They won’t know and won’t check.  All your bank needs to know is that there is a legal and above board sum of money on its way so you don’t get a Scottish Government UWO against you. (Unexplained Wealth Order which applies to bank transfers or deposits of money above £10k).

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

So a foreigner who buys a property would be taxed as a resident, not as a foreign investor? Weird

The big drawback to buying in the UK is trying to get a mortgage when you are still resident overseas. As far as tax implications go, the UK and Australia have a reciprocal tax agreement that prevents double taxation - i.e. you can’t be charged tax in both countries - so you get an accountant on board who understands both tax systems. When I lived outside the UK and owned property in both countries I was charged Uk tax on the rental income for my UK property. Nothing more ... but the rules have changed since then, even though it was only ten years ago. You can’t trust the responses from HMRC - they led me astray so many times when I moved to Australia three years ago - I don’t think it was deliberate, they just didn’t know themselves. 

8 hours ago, calNgary said:

Is it the same if the UK property is your sole residence as Home and Happy stated above when replying to the OP? Id imagine if its your sole residence you would be a tax resident there too.

Cal x

Just owning a house in the UK doesn’t make you tax resident there if you are living in Australia.  You may still be liable for UK tax as a non resident though.