MD1988

457 Newly arrived resident wait period for parental leave

Hi, Im driving myself mad trying to find an answer to this problem. Myself and my partner have been in Australia since January 2017. On 457 visa for roughly 3 years and awaiting PR to be granted.

My question is: If I were to get pregnant am I still subject to 2 year waiting period for paid parental leave? I called centrelink and she said to just apply when the time comes as cases are assessed case by case. This doesn't really give any clarity. Has anyone been in this situation? Appied for the 18 weeks and discovered they were eligible for payment? ANyone post 2019 as this is when the rules changed I think. The wording is newly arrived resident- we are not newly arrived as we have been here for a few years, working and paying taxes etc. To me the wording is so ambiguous!

Many thanks!

They consider us newly arrived resident until we pass 2 years of visa grant period.I had similar case and my parental leave was refused based on 2 years waiting period.

you can apply family tax benefit A so at least you can get something rather than nothing.