Renting in Sydney

Amber Snowball

Hi all,

just after some thoughts on the renting situation in Sydney at the moment.

My son has been offered a job at The Royal North Shore Hospital, now we are waiting to hear if it is a 6 or 12 month contract.

His girlfriend will be pursuing jobs in the cbd area I would think. HR type roles.

Now, in normal times they would pop across and have a reccy but with covid and quarantine that can’t happen.

Has anyone any recent experience of the renting scene in Sydney in terms of competitiveness etc.

I’ve had a look at some older posts which have been helpful in terms of areas and looked at bus and train lines etc.

It may be if it’s only 6 months they’ll look at a house share until they have more definite plans.

Only need a 1 bedder, $500 ish per week maybe. In their 20s.

They are obviously going to do their own research but just thought I’d reach out to the forum in case anyone had some recent experience.

Cheers!

I can tell you what Sydney was like for renting pre-Covid:   flats are typically "open for inspection" on a Saturday, and most agents won't arrange a personal viewing just for you. They may occasionally have an extra viewing during the week, either a lunchtime or a 5.30 view.  You need to spend the week monitoring the internet, finding the properties you'd like to see and work out which ones you can get to (allowing for travelling times between).  You need to plan with military precision because with each flat only being open 15 minutes, you can't afford to be late.  There will typically be long queues of people to see anything decent in a nice suburb - be ready to submit an application on the spot if you like it.   

Unlike Melbourne, 6 month contracts are very common - with some agents, it's even the standard.  

Covid has made things a lot less competitive, because a lot of flats that would normally be occupied by students or AirBnB are empty.  A lot of young people who've lost their jobs in hospitality or the arts have gone back to living at home, leaving more flats vacant in young, trendy suburbs (which would be to your son's advantage).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 29/08/2020 at 19:04, Amber Snowball said:

just after some thoughts on the renting situation in Sydney at the moment.

Has anyone any recent experience of the renting scene in Sydney in terms of competitiveness etc.

Hi

Yes. I have had recent experience. Spent much of 2020 looking for a new place to rent.

In that entire time, only found two places I liked and had both my applications rejected, due to the large number of people applying. The last rental I applied for had 23 other applications the real estate agent said.

Most of the places I have seen in my price zone ($600) have been absolute dumps. However, I need somewhere that will accept pets, and I want to live near the beach, so my choices are somewhat limited. Anywhere near a beach is normally more expensive than inner city.

I think two young 20 somethings with no pets and no children, will have no problems finding somewhere.

In fact, a friend and his girlfriend in their early 30s arriving from New Zealand recently, found somewhere in just three weeks. They live in a tower block and like it. I am scared of heights, so that would not suit me at all.

The area impacts on price. For Example: $600 would get you a small unit in the inner city. But further afield like Castle Hill that same $600 would get you a brand new three bedroomed house with garden, pool and garage.

I have been seriously thinking about Castle Hill as you get bang for your buck. But not being near the beach puts me off.

There are some nice units in both St Leonards and Crows Nest. Just seen online, a lovely brand new one bedroomed unit in Albany Street in Crows Nest for $400 per week. A ten minute walk from the RNS hospital. Crows Nest is a very nice area to live in with great bars, cafes and restaurants.  I lived there many years ago and use to walk to my job in the CBD

I would advise against renting somewhere unseen. Real estate agents have magic cameras that make places look bigger, cleaner and better than they really are. Several times this past year I have been totally shocked that image was sooooooooooo different to reality.

St Leonards Mansions in Park Road is literally 600 meters walk from the hospital and you can rent rooms for short or long stay. Best to book into somewhere like there for a few weeks, then look for a proper rental in the area when they can see the places in person.

Hope this helps

Also......

I have just remembered about a nurse I knew who works at the RNSH. She lives in Herbert Street, literally across the road from the hospital. It is a rental apartment. Leaves her front door, crosses the road and arrives at work in about 60 seconds. Also the Forum West building built above St Leonards train station across the road from the hospital, is very popular for rentals.

If renting in St Leonards or Crows Nest, there is no need for car ownership, and that will save a lot of money.

The North Shore train line runs through St Leonards and it is extremely reliable, and the regular bus service is very good.

It is 15 minutes on the train and 20 minutes on the bus from St Leonards to the CBD (Wynyard)

Plus you can walk to the CBD - use to take me just over an hour.

And if you want to explore further afield at the weekends, then there is a car sharing company that everyone uses called GoGet

Plus St Leonards is only five minutes on the train to Chatswood, where they have a couple of massive shopping centers and cinemas, and some brilliant eateries.

All in all, a really convenient and good place to live