Fradulent transactions on UK credit card while in OZ

Melbpom

I moved back to Australia in Feb 2019 and have recently become aware of a fraudulent transaction of about 44 GBP dated 11th July 2019. It was only posted to my old UK credit card on the 30th June 2020 and by the time the credit card statement was posted out to me in Australia it was the beginning of August before I became aware of it.

I locked my credit and debit cards back in July 2019 and closed the credit card account in February 2020. I didn't make the purchase and for 44GBP who would bother. I'm now racking up late payment fees and interest while the bank's fraud team investigate.

What concerned me also was that when I rang up the bank to query the statement I'd received the automatic message told me that there was still the balance of the credit available on the card. It appeared that the card was active and I had no control over it and no means of viewing any transactions online.

My post is really a word of warning to any migrants to close any unused accounts as soon as possible.

3 hours ago, Melbpom said:

I moved back to Australia in Feb 2019 and have recently become aware of a fraudulent transaction of about 44 GBP dated 11th July 2019. It was only posted to my old UK credit card on the 30th June 2020 and by the time the credit card statement was posted out to me in Australia it was the beginning of August before I became aware of it.

I locked my credit and debit cards back in July 2019 and closed the credit card account in February 2020. I didn't make the purchase and for 44GBP who would bother. I'm now racking up late payment fees and interest while the bank's fraud team investigate.

What concerned me also was that when I rang up the bank to query the statement I'd received the automatic message told me that there was still the balance of the credit available on the card. It appeared that the card was active and I had no control over it and no means of viewing any transactions online.

My post is really a word of warning to any migrants to close any unused accounts as soon as possible.

The thing that strikes me is the delay in the transaction hitting your account, I'm no expert but that strikes me as most odd, someone in the system lifting small amounts from closed accounts.?

2 hours ago, Parley said:

I do know whenever you close a card the bank says they will still process any transactions that come through and warn you to cancel direct debits etc.

The bank will refund any fees charged if they determine the transaction to be fraudulent.

Yes they told me that at the time of closing but I didn't anticipate a transaction being posted so late.

13 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

The thing that strikes me is the delay in the transaction hitting your account, I'm no expert but that strikes me as most odd, someone in the system lifting small amounts from closed accounts.?

Yes and perhaps that's why this has gone straight to the fraud department before I had queried the amount. I would love to know the result of their investigation but I doubt they'll tell me.