Getting car finance

scubacam

1 hour ago, scubacam said:

Hello,

How soon after getting to aus were you all able to get car finance?

Did they require proof of employment ? Or ask for bank statements etc ?

Thank you

Xx

I’d imagine any loan/finance will require proof of employment or another regular income such as pension as they will need to see evidence of affordability.   Unlikely to take a bank statement without income regardless of the balance as you could go out and spend that all the following day. As for timescales, I’m not sure but if you have a contract of permanent employment and can document you have the disposable income to cover the repayments I’d be surprised if you’d have problems. 

We bought 2 cheap runarounds when we first arrived. We didn't buy a new car for a year and then it was through a bank car loan. 

You will need some sort of a credit score to qualify for finance and that may take a while...at least 3 months of bank statements/payslips/proof of income etc is usual. Talk to your bank though, I'm pretty sure they gave me a credit card soon after we arrived. I did have a job though. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got a car loan within a month of arriving in Aus back in 2018. But because I didn’t have any credit ratings and still in probation, only Macquarie bank gave me a car loan at 10.89%. Now the rates are much better, though since covid they might be a bit more strict.