Flights to Perth

palaceboy1

4 minutes ago, FOL said:

Thanks Marisa, thought the exemption would have been sufficient.

Unfortunately it depends what you call "lucky", it's on compassionate grounds. 

Hopefully I can get back... reading these nightmares everyone's having to get back while my (pregnant) wife and 2yo daughter are at home...

I can appreciate that, but we've had so many reports of compassionate exemptions being refused.  Perhaps they are relaxing their attitude a bit now?  

Good luck with getting back.  I'd say you will need to book business class to have any certainty. 

News today is that Business Class passengers are being bumped in favour of first class.  Even people with long standing Bus class bookings. Ridiculous but I guess understandable provided they give refunds.

A family are now stranded in UK after selling home as flights were cancelled at last minute and their cats are already en route!  Who has tens of thousands of dollars to fly a family first class in these times.  Time this was sorted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

News today is that Business Class passengers are being bumped in favour of first class.  Even people with long standing Bus class bookings. Ridiculous but I guess understandable provided they give refunds.

A family are now stranded in UK after selling home as flights were cancelled at last minute and their cats are already en route!  Who has tens of thousands of dollars to fly a family first class in these times.  Time this was sorted. 

I had also read that most flights were already fully booked until at least November given the limitations on numbers (not including those people being bumped off flights and having to rebook). It sounds like the OP has some personal matters to attend to in the UK which is unfortunate, but in their shoes (with a pregnant partner due in December) I'd be extremely cautious about leaving Australia for any reason unless willing to accept difficulty in returning for several months. They might just make it back for December but it sounds very risky.

• Like 2

On 28/08/2020 at 06:36, Marisawright said:

I can appreciate that, but we've had so many reports of compassionate exemptions being refused.  Perhaps they are relaxing their attitude a bit now?  

Good luck with getting back.  I'd say you will need to book business class to have any certainty. 

I haven't heard or exemptions being denied for direct family members who are terminally ill. 

21 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I had also read that most flights were already fully booked until at least November given the limitations on numbers (not including those people being bumped off flights and having to rebook). It sounds like the OP has some personal matters to attend to in the UK which is unfortunate, but in their shoes (with a pregnant partner due in December) I'd be extremely cautious about leaving Australia for any reason unless willing to accept difficulty in returning for several months. They might just make it back for December but it sounds very risky.

That was me not the topic starter (unless we are in the same situation). If it is about seeing a close family member possibly alive for the last time, you have to go imho.

There is quite a bit of noise at political level regarding this subject, so hopefully they do aomething about the caps. It's stupid really. Hotels can make money as a quarantine hotel and people can go back home. Win-win and low risk if done properly.

Edited by FOL

1 hour ago, FOL said:

That was me not the topic starter (unless we are in the same situation). If it is about seeing a close family member possibly alive for the last time, you have to go imho.

There is quite a bit of noise at political level regarding this subject, so hopefully they do aomething about the caps. It's stupid really. Hotels can make money as a quarantine hotel and people can go back home. Win-win and low risk if done properly.

Perhaps spare a thought for the ground staff, worried about processing hundreds of passengers and the cabin crew, last thing they would feel safe with would be a full a/craft, Then everyone crowding in the departure lounge. Your flight wouldn’t be the only departure.

Its an awful time for everyone, some passengers still want to fly, and all the airline staff that have lost their jobs all over the world would still like to be working. If you were desperately trying to keep your airline going or any other business, you would want maximum income.

I do understand having lived overseas away from parents, and the pain of their deaths, when unable to get back in time, and that was pre covid restrictions.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 3

On 17/08/2020 at 20:28, Elmurph said:

Does anyone have any information about Cathay Pacific flights Hong Kong to Perth?

Our flight is British Airways Edinburgh to London to Hong Kong, then Cathay Pacific on to Perth. About 10 days ago they changed the departure date by 24 hours, but otherwise it is flying out as scheduled. Mind you, it could change again at any moment, and another refund that we will have to wait 12-16 weeks for. 

On 29/08/2020 at 09:30, ramot said:

Perhaps spare a thought for the ground staff, worried about processing hundreds of passengers and the cabin crew, last thing they would feel safe with would be a full a/craft, Then everyone crowding in the departure lounge. Your flight wouldn’t be the only departure.

Its an awful time for everyone, some passengers still want to fly, and all the airline staff that have lost their jobs all over the world would still like to be working. If you were desperately trying to keep your airline going or any other business, you would want maximum income.

I do understand having lived overseas away from parents, and the pain of their deaths, when unable to get back in time, and that was pre covid restrictions.

All that staff you talk about rather has work than no work. So be mindful of them and let people fly. On top of that, there are stories or economy class only having 1 person sitting there in the entire section!

The numbers can be bumped up much more while still plenty of room for social distancing and safe handling imho.

1 hour ago, FOL said:

All that staff you talk about rather has work than no work. So be mindful of them and let people fly. On top of that, there are stories or economy class only having 1 person sitting there in the entire section!

The numbers can be bumped up much more while still plenty of room for social distancing and safe handling imho.

So how many do you suggest you would feel safe serving and being enclosed with on a long haul 12 hour flight, ? Also Remember it’s individual states that are restricting the numbers, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FOL said:

The restrictions aren't linked to social distancing on flights, it is due to limitations on the number of passengers allowed to enter different states in Australia each week (set by the Aus government). Those number limitations were due to concerns that the quarantine facilities were struggling to cope with larger numbers of people arriving, which could lead to breaches/reduced safety. I'm sure the airlines would fly full planes if the Aus government allowed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

number limitations were due to concerns that the quarantine facilities were struggling to cope with larger numbers of people arriving, which could lead to breaches/reduced safety. 

In WA, the hotels were nearing capacity and considering every flight brings people who then have to stay for two weeks, you can see how a logjam would develop.

However, when it was first announced, the media gave it in terms of "passengers per week" and I thought, that makes sense, the airlines will cut their flights to one or two per week.

When it turned out the limit was actually 50 people per plane, I knew the airlines would have to either pump up the fares to a ridiculous level, or favour business/first class travellers. After all, if airlines are normally carrying 300+ passengers per flight, how can it be profitable for them to fly planes that are so empty?  

• Like 2

On 31/08/2020 at 11:09, MacGyver said:

The restrictions aren't linked to social distancing on flights, it is due to limitations on the number of passengers allowed to enter different states in Australia each week (set by the Aus government). Those number limitations were due to concerns that the quarantine facilities were struggling to cope with larger numbers of people arriving, which could lead to breaches/reduced safety. I'm sure the airlines would fly full planes if the Aus government allowed it.

There are a lot of hotels almost empty, a lot of people without jobs and a lot of people who would like to come home and accept quarantine. Sounds like 1+1+1 to me?

On 31/08/2020 at 09:00, ramot said:

So how many do you suggest you would feel safe serving and being enclosed with on a long haul 12 hour flight, ? Also Remember it’s individual states that are restricting the numbers, 

One person per row or geck even one row empty between, unless family, then they can sit in the same row. Would make a huge difference already.

12 hours ago, FOL said:

One person per row or geck even one row empty between, unless family, then they can sit in the same row. Would make a huge difference already.

I appreciate I bought airlines into the thread, but the reality is that only a total of 4,000 travellers are allowed in Australia weekly, divided between the states, and I think it has been extended by 3 months? So at the moment it’s pointless trying to work out where passengers could be seated, It’s the government restricting the numbers.

14 hours ago, FOL said:

There are a lot of hotels almost empty, a lot of people without jobs and a lot of people who would like to come home and accept quarantine. Sounds like 1+1+1 to me?

A lot of hotels are unwilling to take quarantine passengers. It can mean they are unable to also take "normal" people in, as well as having to adhere to all the State government rules. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ramot said:

I appreciate I bought airlines into the thread, but the reality is that only a total of 4,000 travellers are allowed in Australia weekly, divided between the states, and I think it has been extended by 3 months? So at the moment it’s pointless trying to work out where passengers could be seated, It’s the government restricting the numbers.

Yeah, that's even worse. I have received an exemption to fly out because of compassionate reasons. At the same time that darn government causes that I can't go back. Either I won't see my dying mum anymore or I miss the birth of my child and leave my wife all alone while we already have a toddler running around. Well done Aussie government, well thought out.

Edited by FOL

13 hours ago, Nemesis said:

A lot of hotels are unwilling to take quarantine passengers. It can mean they are unable to also take "normal" people in, as well as having to adhere to all the State government rules. 

It is an assumption, but they may make more from quarantine passengers than from the super low booking rate they have from tourists.

Edited by FOL

4 hours ago, FOL said:

It is an assumption, but they may make more from quarantine passengers than from the super low booking rate they have from tourists.

I think it's very unlikely   As others have pointed out, if a hotel takes quarantine guests then they can't take "normal" guests.  They have to hire extra staff and do extra cleaning.  They have to supply all meals to the quarantine guests and that's included in the government fee. And they risk the stigma if someone gets infected at their hotel.

7 hours ago, FOL said:

I can assure you that is not true in the majority of cases When balanced against the hassle of cleaning, security etc the paying public is what hotels prefer. Many only took quarantine pax because otherwise they had no income at all. Govt negotiated rates are not a licence to print money, and with all the associated red tape,  the paying public is definitely the preferred option.

You should bear in mind too, that even with cost recovery, the state govt [pays, then reclaims the money from the traveller. Governments are not know for speedy payments and many hotels have to wait months to be paid - as opposed to the travelling public, paying on the spot. 

Edited by Nemesis

• 1 month later...

Just an update , we finally flew with Emirates business class last Friday (23rd) . We had booked a Covid test through Pure Health but the requirements for transit passengers changed in DUBAI 2 weeks ago so we cancelled the appointment . At the check- in desk at Heathrow all we were asked for was a health declaration which we had downloaded from the  Emirates website . After a 2 hour layover in Dubai we landed in Perth and cleared immigration without problems and were given blank G2G pass forms if we had not applied previously . Collected baggage and cleared customs , then queued to be asked about allergies , health problems , etc and then allocated a quarantine hotel (Westin) . Then it was on to the police to complete and approve yourG2G Pass . Onto the buses (8) and in convoy to the hotel . Checkin at the hotel was outside and one bus at a time , l was asked if I wanted a double or 2 beds and opted for 2 beds which turned out to be a good move as we have an extra large room . So now on day 7 of quarantine and it’s gone quite quickly , free good WIFI , free movies , 3 meals a day some of which have been revolting , had a swop test on day 2 and regular telephone  health calls , only allowed alcohol purchased from the hotel (1wine or 4 botttles of beer per day) at hotel prices . We are on the 11th floor with a lovely view to the Perth Hills and can see the Optus Stadium lit at night. We landed at 4.30pm and finally got into our room at 9.30pm . Please  feel free to ask any questions 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 2

I am in quarantine as we speak as well. Quite impressed with the good process they have in place. Took me a bit less time to het to the hotel, 3 hours or so.

@palaceboy1, you have just migrated to here? That is an interesting first experience. Good luck as a new resident when you get out.

Edited by FOL

Wow, interesting start of your new life in a hotel hah. It will get better mate. Two more days and then you can work on starting to build your new life.  You've got an airbnb lined up?

The food is so, so. Not too bad though imho. Which hotel are you in? I'm in Novotel Murray street. I can leave on Tuesday.

I reckon quarantine was quite easy for me. Had to catch up with work and what better place to do it than being locked up in a room getting food delivered 😂

12 hours ago, FOL said:

Wow, interesting start of your new life in a hotel hah. It will get better mate. Two more days and then you can work on starting to build your new life.  You've got an airbnb lined up?

The food is so, so. Not too bad though imho. Which hotel are you in? I'm in Novotel Murray street. I can leave on Tuesday.

I reckon quarantine was quite easy for me. Had to catch up with work and what better place to do it than being locked up in a room getting food delivered 😂

We have two daughters and families living in the Northern Suburbs so will be living their initially. Things have been very stressful for the last year getting the visa and arranging the move alongside COVID ,  it has been a welcome relief getting our body clocks on Perth time and a lot of rest . Luckily we have always got on well after working together for 30 years . 
So one more sleep and we are out , good luck for Tuesday