RRV returning after 30 years

Pneill

hello my mother was a permanent resident in 1982 back then my mum dad and sister were on a family passport and they were all permanent residents.  I was born here in 1985 I now live her with my husband and kids but my mum and sister are looking to return on a rrv. My mums rrv with my sisters name on it ran out in 1997. We have called and no one can find their grant number due to not having the old passport. Can any one help in how we would go about i  applying for a new RRV  without having the details of the permanent resident visas. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, paulhand said:

Depends on the visa you hold. Usually 5, sometimes one, year. Never seen a 4 year visa. 

No, I didn’t mean there was a four year visa. I meant that I thought your PR visa lapsed after you had been out of Australia for four years. I met someone a while ago who had worked here for many years, had three children and returned to live in the UK. All three kids subsequently returned to live in Australia, but when the parents decided to follow them, they found that their former PR status had lapsed, and they had to go through the parent visa application to get back in.

4 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

No, I didn’t mean there was a four year visa. I meant that I thought your PR visa lapsed after you had been out of Australia for four years. I met someone a while ago who had worked here for many years, had three children and returned to live in the UK. All three kids subsequently returned to live in Australia, but when the parents decided to follow them, they found that their former PR status had lapsed, and they had to go through the parent visa application to get back in.

Your PR ‘lapses’ when your visa expires and you are offshore. In the case you mention they should have applied for an RRV in the first instance. 

2 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

. I meant that I thought your PR visa lapsed after you had been out of Australia for four years. 

It's not a matter of how many years you've been out of Australia.    As you know, there's an initial 5-year travel facility on your PR visa. If you leave Australia, and there's only one year left on your travel facility, you'll have to return before that year is out, or you'll be barred from entry.  Once that travel facility expires, you need to apply for a new travel facility (which is the RRV) and the same rule applies. 

A former permanent resident can always apply for a RRV, even if they've been absent for many years.  The longer they've been away, the harder it is to get one, but it's always worth a shot.  If that couple had worked in Australia for many years, and all their children were Australian citizens, I'd have thought they'd have stood a chance.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

I met someone a while ago who had worked here for many years, had three children and returned to live in the UK. All three kids subsequently returned to live in Australia, but when the parents decided to follow them, they found that their former PR status had lapsed, and they had to go through the parent visa application to get back in.

It all depends on the specific circumstances and there is no "one size fits all" answer to RRV questions, especially when travel facilities have lapsed, or there has been a long absence from Australia.

I recently obtained an RRV for a client who had not held Permanent Residency for over 20 years. 

The details are very important in such cases and well researched advice, specific to the case can be invaluable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Raul Senise said:

It all depends on the specific circumstances and there is no "one size fits all" answer to RRV questions, especially when travel facilities have lapsed, or there has been a long absence from Australia.

I recently obtained an RRV for a client who had not held Permanent Residency for over 20 years. 

The details are very important in such cases and well researched advice, specific to the case can be invaluable.

My mum and sister is applying on paper so we can send written evidence of the situation and all verified documents too. Would you advise on us doing anything else. We've been told their is no bother them getting it but need to find the grant number of the previous pr which we cant. Been told to search the australian archives from 1982 but were still applying to see if they get it.  Thanks

2 hours ago, Pneill said:

My mum and sister is applying on paper so we can send written evidence of the situation and all verified documents too. Would you advise on us doing anything else. We've been told their is no bother them getting it but need to find the grant number of the previous pr which we cant. Been told to search the australian archives from 1982 but were still applying to see if they get it.  Thanks

There will be plenty of bother getting it. The longer someone has been away from Australia, the more likely it is to be refused. Don’t risk doing it yourself. Raul and Paul are both good agents, engage one of them to do it for you. They know what’s needed to give you the best chance

• Like 1

with personal ties could that be showing evidence of my sister, husband and her children living in australia and them being citizens as she was born their. Also my dad and half brother and sister. Also with me living their for 7 years till I was 8 years old and my parents spliting up that it was my fault that I left before having my citizenship then growing up and having children that had relationship with his dad so that's my compelling reason in staying in scotland as well as my family was their mum and my sister and her kids  now she has moved back to australia we want to move back as well as we're a close family also.

Any suggestions please.

On 12/08/2020 at 07:26, Raul Senise said:

1 hour ago, Pneill said:

Would you advise on us doing anything else. 

As per my previous post, there is no one size fit all approach to these matters. I can't provide any specific advice based on the minimal information in your post.

1 hour ago, Pneill said:

We've been told their is no bother them getting it 

Who advise you that an application for someone who's last RRV expired 23 years ago would be no bother?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pneill said:

with personal ties could that be showing evidence of my sister, husband and her children living in australia and them being citizens as she was born their. Also my dad and half brother and sister. Also with me living their for 7 years till I was 8 years old and my parents spliting up that it was my fault that I left before having my citizenship then growing up and having children that had relationship with his dad so that's my compelling reason in staying in scotland as well as my family was their mum and my sister and her kids  now she has moved back to australia we want to move back as well as we're a close family also.

Any suggestions please.

You definitely need to use a good migration agent such as Raul Senise (above).  What you are enquiring about on behalf of your sister is far more complicated than you seem to think it is.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 3

Yeah an immigration agent is out of the question its far to much money for us.  Im just trying to get as much info as possible. It was the homeaffirs that suggested to do the paper application and provid every peice of documents evidance and to write a letter explaining our situation

1 hour ago, Pneill said:

Yeah an immigration agent is out of the question its far to much money for us.  Im just trying to get as much info as possible. It was the homeaffirs that suggested to do the paper application and provid every peice of documents evidance and to write a letter explaining our situation

Ask Raul for a quote, you may be surprised. You can get a couple of other quotes to compare.

Honestly, whoever told you it would be easy is lying. It’s very difficult to get a RRV for any of you after such a long absence. If you can’t afford to pay an agent now, then save up until you can

• Like 2

Yeah no one said it would be easy... i know it won't my sister has been doing this for her husbands pr for 2 years so she has a bit of an inside what they look for ect.. im just looking for some some other people thats went through and ideas and help. 

When it comes to explaining the situation on paper and researching on everyone's experiences and what to write on paper shes better to explain things so in that note she understands a lot of things thats getting explaind on these website than me. So yeah she has a better understanding. Thanks

4 minutes ago, Pneill said:

When it comes to explaining the situation on paper and researching on everyone's experiences and what to write on paper shes better to explain things so in that note she understands a lot of things thats getting explaind on these website than me. So yeah she has a better understanding. Thanks

She may understand things better than you but she knows nothing about the RRV system 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pneill said:

Sound like u know enough about the rrv and the pr so like my first comment any help in us doing it our self any tips for the application is welcome if not then no need to comment.

Honestly, the best advice anyone can give is - use an agent You have two commenting on the thread, why not ask them for quotes? An absence that long is going to need someone who really knows what they are doing, and how to present the case, and with all due respect your sister does not have the experience that these agents do

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pneill said:

Sound like u know enough about the rrv and the pr so like my first comment any help in us doing it our self any tips for the application is welcome if not then no need to comment.

Here is the official rule:

To get a RRV, you MUST have lived in Australia for at least 2 years in the last 5 years (i.e. since 2015).

If you don't meet that requirement, then you have to beg for a special exemption, and there's no guarantee you'll get it. The longer you've been away, the less chance you've got. That's why Raul is so proud of getting a RRV for someone who'd been away for 20 years - it's quite an achievement.

To get an exemption, you MUST show that you have current "strong ties" to Australia.   "I lived there for several years a long time ago" does not count for much.   Having a member of the family who is an Australian citizen/resident may help but is probably not enough. 

If you can't demonstrate "strong ties" then they won't even look at the "compelling reasons" for absence.

That is why I say you need an agent.  It's going to be tough.

The people on the Home Affairs helpline are just unqualified call centre operatives who read off a screen.  They have no idea of the rules and are famous for giving wrong advice.  Lots of people have acted on their advice then complained when it turned out to be wrong - but their answer is, "it's your responsibility to do your own due diligence".  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Pneill said:

18 hours ago, Pneill said:

You ask on a free and open forum for free advise from members here but obviously didn't the answer you wanted to hear. You seem not to believe how hard it actually is to get a RRV after such a long time. By the way,  it doesn't matter how many family members you count who are already Australian citizens living in Australia - your mums and sister have no 'right of way'. You would definitively need professional advise as it's especially hard to reason why your elderly mum suddenly wants to come to Australia. The last thing the Australian Government wants are older people who might become a burden to their health system and they want migrants who contribute with certain skill sets.

On 13/08/2020 at 17:50, Pneill said:

Moving to Australia will cost you a small fortune and a consultation with a migration agent will be peanuts by comparison. A good one won't take your money unless there's a decent chance of your visa being granted. I did my own paperwork for my 189 application, my wife's 820 partner visa, and her PR when she was eligible. Yet I still consulted a migration agent on two occasions, based on the advice of the good people on this forum. On one of those occasion he didn't even charge so I bought him a bottle of scotch.

You'll need to prove substantial ties with Australia to get an RRV, and given your circumstances plus the length of time you've been away you'll pretty much need Harry Potter to conjure something up. Talk to an MA.

• Like 1