Best flights Sydney to London - to avoid quarantine

Island

A transit stop is a stop where passengers can get on or off. It can apply to coaches, ferries, trains or flights. Your ticket should show if a stop is a transit stop.

If your journey involves a transit stop in a country not on the list, you will need to self-isolate when you arrive in England if:

• new passengers get on
  • you or other passengers get off the transport you are on and mix with other people, then get on again

You don’t need to self-isolate beyond normal timescales if, during your transit stop in a non-exempt country:

• no new passengers get on
  • no-one on-board gets off and mixes with people outside
  • passengers get off but do not get back on

3 hours ago, Island said:

A transit stop is a stop where passengers can get on or off. It can apply to coaches, ferries, trains or flights. Your ticket should show if a stop is a transit stop.

If your journey involves a transit stop in a country not on the list, you will need to self-isolate when you arrive in England if:

• new passengers get on
  • you or other passengers get off the transport you are on and mix with other people, then get on again

You don’t need to self-isolate beyond normal timescales if, during your transit stop in a non-exempt country:

• no new passengers get on
  • no-one on-board gets off and mixes with people outside
  • passengers get off but do not get back on

I’m pretty sure you have to get off the plane during transit stops. Either you get on a different plane to continue your journey or you get back on the same one that’s stopped for refuelling. You’re not allowed to remain onboard during refuelling.  You can research and try and find a stop over that isn’t on the quarantine list but be prepared for the fact that country could be added to the quarantine list at any time. 

I don't think there is an option to avoid UK quarantine onthe return from OZ unless the direct Perth - LHR flight is still running.

The only other common routes include stops in

• Singapore
  • Hong Kong
  • Vietnam
  • China
  • Thailand
  • UAE
  • (Or going the "wrong-way") USA

All these require UK quarantine at the moment. As the flights will involve changing planes/new passengers joining.

Your best chance of avoiding quarantine is the UK failing to register you on arrival in the UK and so not being put on the "list"

Just now, Ausvisitor said:

I don't think there is an option to avoid UK quarantine onthe return from OZ unless the direct Perth - LHR flight is still running.

The only other common routes include stops in

• Singapore
  • Hong Kong
  • Vietnam
  • China
  • Thailand
  • UAE
  • (Or going the "wrong-way") USA

All these require UK quarantine at the moment. As the flights will involve changing planes/new passengers joining. The locations most likely to be removed from the list are Thailand and UAE - but these are probably a month away at least

Your best chance of avoiding quarantine is the UK failing to register you on arrival in the UK and so not being put on the "list"

On 11/08/2020 at 13:10, Island said:

HI,

We have permission to fly...

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations of who to fly back home with during this time to avoid quarantine?

DO you mind sharing on what grounds you obtained exemption & what evidence did you need to supply? Thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Senfield said:

DO you mind sharing on what grounds you obtained exemption & what evidence did you need to supply? Thanks 

You need to show evidence that you are leaving permanently - eg proof that your house is for sale or you’ve given notice  your lease, proof that you’ve given notice at work, shipping quotes etc

1 hour ago, Island said:

I think about ten days. TOR took us longer because kept asking for more information.

@IslandHow far in advance of your flight did you apply? I'm getting ready to make the move back and trying to decide when to apply/book flights, etc.

To be safe I'm wondering whether I need to give myself the full 3 months incase it takes a while to process. 10 days is fantastic!

3 hours ago, Senfield said:

Hi, we are also moving back permanently in January.  Do you know how long your exemption is valid for as we too are wondering how far in advance to apply?  I'm also wondering about flight prices as there are so many horror stories about Aussies trying to get back here and getting bumped off their economy seats for business class?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fluffycookie said:

Hi, we are also moving back permanently in January.  Do you know how long your exemption is valid for as we too are wondering how far in advance to apply?  I'm also wondering about flight prices as there are so many horror stories about Aussies trying to get back here and getting bumped off their economy seats for business class?

People are being bumped off flights because of the Australian government placing restrictions on the number pf people that can arrive into the country per week. The UK has no such restrictions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nemesis said:

People are being bumped off flights because of the Australian government placing restrictions on the number pf people that can arrive into the country per week. The UK has no such restrictions. 

Yes, I was just wondering though, if it turns out that there are limited numbers of people travelling out of Australia, have the same issues have been arising in the opposite direction?

10 hours ago, Fluffycookie said:

Yes, I was just wondering though, if it turns out that there are limited numbers of people travelling out of Australia, have the same issues have been arising in the opposite direction?

The airlines have already taken the lower demand into account and are not scheduling nearly as many flights. But they are allowed to fill those planes.

The problem with flights arriving in Australia is that they're only allowed 50 people on each plane and it's barely profitable for them to fly at that level. So they'll take economy bookings, but if a business or first class passenger comes along, they'll bump an economy passenger to make room. 

On 19/08/2020 at 21:44, Fluffycookie said:

The airlines will carry all they can going out of oz.

As an example, one aircraft that came in yesterday to Brisbane had 20 people on it. Leaving today it will have over 300.