starlight7

Overseas Post

I am sure there must be a perfectly logical explanation but how come stuff from the UK takes about a week (unsearched , not repacked) to arrive in Victoria but stuff from China is always re-packed and searched and takes 10 weeks? This has been happening for quite a while, way before all the Covid stuff.

7 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

I am sure there must be a perfectly logical explanation but how come stuff from the UK takes about a week (unsearched , not repacked) to arrive in Victoria but stuff from China is always re-packed and searched and takes 10 weeks? This has been happening for quite a while, way before all the Covid stuff.

Have to admit I find the opposite. Mail from the UK at present to Brisbane is taking 6 weeks or more (used to be 4-5 days), while China is abut 2 weeks. 

Sometimes I think we are disadvantaged because our post only comes once a week mostly- sometimes twice. We live up the top of a hill but its not as if they use bikes these days. Interesting that your mail takes 6 weeks from the UK nemesis- I found when I used to get stuff from Debenhams it always took a long time so I stopped buying from them.

23 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Sometimes I think we are disadvantaged because our post only comes once a week mostly- sometimes twice. We live up the top of a hill but its not as if they use bikes these days. Interesting that your mail takes 6 weeks from the UK nemesis- I found when I used to get stuff from Debenhams it always took a long time so I stopped buying from them.

it was always fine pre-covid, but not now!

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

Have to admit I find the opposite. Mail from the UK at present to Brisbane is taking 6 weeks or more (used to be 4-5 days), while China is abut 2 weeks. 

Good to know. I was thinking of sending a box to Qld, but maybe I’ll wait! 😬

2 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I'm getting stuff from China via ebay and Wish in less than 4 weeks and amazon UK is taking longer. I sometimes get things from China faster than things that are supposed to be shipped from within Australia but my understanding is that many Chinese companies are now indicating via ebay and amazon that they are Australian based just to get your orders due to faster shipping, when in fact they are not.

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

Mail from the UK, even letters, has been crap long before the Covid. Whether this is due to holdups at Aus customs I have no idea so this comment is not meant as a criticism of UK mail.

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

I reckon the customs in Victoria must spend all their time searching every single item from China.  Maybe it is a drug run or something like that.Things are always neatly re-packaged so that all takes time- probably takes a week per item at the rate they work. My needle threaders took nearly 3 months to arrive and I had actually forgotten I had ordered them.

• Like 1

Having recently celebrated my 80th, all my cards from relatives and friends back in the UK took anywhere from 26 to 37 days to arrive in Melbourne. I suppose one of the reasons is that international flights into Melbourne have been stopped. (my understanding ie). The cost of postage is getting pretty high now ,over 2GBP. My younger sister sent a customised one using Moonpig which was actually posted in Australia and only cost $1.10 and arrived well on time, in fact it was delivered 9 days early. Don't know how much the card actually cost her. I tend to use JaquieLawson ecards now especially at Christmas time. 

• Like 2

I get quite a few of those Jaquie Lawson cards at Christmas and they are nice but I am old fashioned and like to actually have a card in my hand. The cost of overseas postage is ridiculously high though, I agree.

On 11/08/2020 at 10:42, Mike@Bonbeach said:

Having recently celebrated my 80th, all my cards from relatives and friends back in the UK took anywhere from 26 to 37 days to arrive in Melbourne. I suppose one of the reasons is that international flights into Melbourne have been stopped. (my understanding ie). The cost of postage is getting pretty high now ,over 2GBP. My younger sister sent a customised one using Moonpig which was actually posted in Australia and only cost $1.10 and arrived well on time, in fact it was delivered 9 days early. Don't know how much the card actually cost her. I tend to use JaquieLawson ecards now especially at Christmas time. 

I use moonpig alot for that reason - cards arrive on time as they're posted in the country of the recipient.  You can also purchase in advance and put the date you'd like it posting.  Card prices vary due to size, but generally about $6.  I much prefer a real card to an e-card but my Christmas card list is dwindling by the year.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

On 10/08/2020 at 20:56, starlight7 said:

I am sure there must be a perfectly logical explanatio

thats your first mistake!

For me it seems to go in cycles, and trying to work out why drives me to distraction. Stuff i get from china can take 2 weeks. Recently one item came a month after i had lodged a no delivery dispute and got a refund, so about 3 months from transaction. UK has been around 2 weeks but again is hit and miss.

Even interstate can be ridiculous. Last month i ordered a part for my bike from sydney. My parents posted a couple of letters on the same day. I had the letters before the parcel from sydney

IELTS 08/06/13: 9.0. - ACS Assessment: 02/08/13. Result 13/11/13. VIC SS 20/11/13. EOI 20/11/13. VIC SS Resubmitted 20/06/14, Approved 02/07/14. Visa Application (190) 14/07/14. CO assigned, Meds/PCC requested 27/08/14. Granted 24/10/14!! Activated 31/03/15. Arrival 27/08/15.Citizenship Applied 17/04/2019,  Test confirmed 09/07/2019 for 15/12/2019, Online invite 05/06/2020. Ceremony 18/06/2020

Local is shocking and until they had this 5 km lockdown I would spend an hour delivering stuff myself rather than have to wait at least 5 days.  I am talking next suburb here. In the 1840s the horses would have been quicker and better.

Australia Post. On the whole I have been quite satisfied with their service. With parcel delivery they email updates, but the latest delivery hmmm. I ordered a new cassette for my electric shaver last Sunday (9th), had an email from Auspost saying they had received it and it would be delivered Tuesday or Wednesday this week (12th/13th), by Thursday I had not received it so checked the tracking estimate and it said there was a delay and would now be delivered next week Tuesday to Thursday (18th-20th).  It was delivered yesterday (14th), so what the email about delayed delivery was about I don't know. It was only coming from Frankston 9 kms away. Some times too many advice emails can be over the top. Would have been quite happy to receive it when I did. I think in all there were possible 5 emails for the one delivery, including 1 from the supplier.