Best company for pet transfer to UK

Anita85

It is a nightmare at the moment.  We've been talking to a couple of different companies.  Basically - most flights are just taking one passengers pets - so much reduced capacity, and no weekend pet arrivals in the UK. We wanted our dog to fly out on 1st September - you need to pay upfront a month prior in order to get on a flight - and they are saying the airlines are not releasing flights till sometimes a few weeks prior.  It is very hard to get your dog on a flight basically.  If anyone has any different information or tips please do share!

2 hours ago, Anita85 said:

Thank you 

It's never going to be easy and, if you're like us, and these are your babies, it's ridiculously stressful and upsetting. Our boy is terribly nervous but they handled him well, I couldn't fault them at all. This was well pre-Covid though, as the other poster mentions, god knows what the state of play is now. We had to use Emirates, no other option out of Perth, and the summer months were blanked out for our smaller pooch. We basically had to organise our flights around theirs.

6 hours ago, Island said:

It is a nightmare at the moment.  We've been talking to a couple of different companies.  Basically - most flights are just taking one passengers pets - so much reduced capacity, and no weekend pet arrivals in the UK. We wanted our dog to fly out on 1st September - you need to pay upfront a month prior in order to get on a flight - and they are saying the airlines are not releasing flights till sometimes a few weeks prior.  It is very hard to get your dog on a flight basically.  If anyone has any different information or tips please do share!

Wow thank you. Certainly is the worst time to be tryin to make this move. Which Companies have you tried? Im finding it hard to even get a call back, they must be so short staffed.

This was one thing I wasn't sure of- who books the flight etc me or the pet company

It sounds like this is going to be a right mission..I will keep you posted if I get anywhere 😔

4 hours ago, s713 said:

It's never going to be easy and, if you're like us, and these are your babies, it's ridiculously stressful and upsetting. Our boy is terribly nervous but they handled him well, I couldn't fault them at all. This was well pre-Covid though, as the other poster mentions, god knows what the state of play is now. We had to use Emirates, no other option out of Perth, and the summer months were blanked out for our smaller pooch. We basically had to organise our flights around theirs.

Ok so they tell you what's available and you just have to work around it? I've been trying to understand how all that works. Thanks you 

12 minutes ago, Anita85 said:

Ok so they tell you what's available and you just have to work around it? I've been trying to understand how all that works. Thanks you 

Ours had to fly on a Monday and via Dubai. And there was an extended stop-over at the half-way point. So basically they were collected from home in Perth Monday morning and I picked them up at Manchester freight terminal Wednesday morning. I think I was more traumatised than them.

The only things they required in Perth was a rabies shot 3 months before and a bit of a check-up.

So yeah, we worked our flights around theirs.

Edited by s713

We used Dogtainers and found them fantastic. We were very nervous as he is a very nervous chihuahua with some health issues. They couldn’t have been better. We had a sudden issue at the last minute when the airline accounced hours before that they were suddenly stopping all pet flights. But, Dogtainers sorted it. We got emails with pictures showing him having a lovely time prior to the flight. We were updated on his change in Dubai and he landed and probably had a better flight than us. Though he did have jet lag, which was a bit funny. 

16 hours ago, Island said:

Hi S713

How soon before the flight did you get confirmation your dog could fly?

Did you have to go into quarnatine when you arrived back in the UK?

Which company did you go with?

We moved back to the UK 16 months ago so, Covid wasn't a factor. It was Jet Pets.

We used Dogtainers for our four cats, and they were absolutely awesome! The cats were collected on the Monday morning (we flew Monday pm), and were with Dogtainers for 24 hours as the rules required, were vet checked, put into two big crates (two cats in each), and flown to Dubai, to land at night when it was cooler. They were then let out into a pen for a stretch, water, and for their crates to be cleaned, and were then put on their onward flight to Glasgow. In Glasgow, a Dogtainers associate collected them and completed their paperwork, and then delivered them to our door. They were a bit crumpled and smelly, but otherwise in very good health. They were pretty confused and slept a bit on the first couple of days (jet lag, I guess like VS's dog), but they were soon back to their usual selves. Like VS, they sent photos of the cats to us en route, so that we could see they were okay. I was really stressed about bringing them back, because our eldest daughter is autistic and pretty much worships the cats, and I was worried that something bad would happen, but it all went very smoothly. This was in September 2017, so way before Covid and the reduction in flights, but I'd imagine that the various companies would take this into account.

On 10/08/2020 at 19:56, Anita85 said:

Looking to fly 40kg lab and 5kg cat from Brisbane to London

Looked at dogtainers and jet pets- both have some really scary reviews!

Anyone had a good experience to help guide me please? 

We are using Dogtainers in Cairns and Darrin has been absolutely fantastic.  We are just arranging for our 2 cats to fly back to London, they leave Brisbane on the 28th August but have to have a night in Dubai at the Emirates Pet Hotel, which is run and operated by and English couple.  Darrin has done everything possible and even arranged for London Heathrow to receive and process the cats on the Sunday as they are only opening Monday to Fridays at the moment. 

The only option at the moment is Emirates or Qatar if they have the blood tests done for Rabies which can be costly.